My Spoiler

GoldenMotor.com

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Hi Guys,

Iv'e been trying to run a motor (electric) on my spoiler for sometime now and I keep blowing them due to not knowing anything about gearing ratios etc. I ran my motor(s) direct to a sprocket on the rear wheel.
11 tooth sprocket on motor
54 tooth sprocket on back wheel (mini moto sprocket, 8mm pitch).
The 54t sprocket is the bigest I can go without interfering with my discbrake. I had to make a mount to move the caliper out back a bit.

First setup.

This ran ok with 3 heavy old SLA batteries, that I put in a filing box on the back rack.

I then moved the motor to this postition and investedin some lighter lipo batteries...

I have just invested in my 3rd motor - A Cyclone 1200w and a new speed controller - (that I need to figure out how to wire up).

Having blown my other two motors, a 36V 500W and a 36V 1000W, I was thinking that Im going to have to jackshaft the cyclone motor. But sadly I know next to nothing about the gear rations thats invloved. I then saw this spoiler while browsing the web.

http://www.evalbum.com/711

Theres not to much detail about the build on the link I provided and the builders website lookslike it no longer exists?

It was this picture that caught my eye...

Does anyone know how this was done? ie what type of adaptor/sprocket configuration would I need to be able to have two chains to the rear wheel. One for the motor and one for peddling.
This would save me having to make a jackshaft.

Regards
Tom

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
BC most elec motor are reversable (switch power leads around neg to pos and pos to neg) Ive also found elec motors work well for friction drive

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Yes I know that motors can be reversed. If you look at my pictures you'll see that I have done that already. The part im interested in the photo of the spoiler, is how the guy attached 2 sprockets to his rear wheel, the large sprocket to the motor pluse the freewheeling peddling sprocket.

Regards
Tom