First OCC build

GoldenMotor.com

Mercman

Dec 27, 2011
Central VT
Guys, I'm new to this game but not to the world of two strokes. I saw a pic of an OCC build back in October, so decided to put one together, I bought an 66/80 kit from BikeBerryand found a decent OCC chopper with brakes front and rear. I went to "livefast" for the decent rear hub and sprocket. I found a good motor mount and exhaust on the "bay". Dual pull brake lever from "sick" and then a idler sprocket with bearing. I try to do my "projects" right the first time. Well, I finally got most of it together and while lightly lubing the gears, I noticed probably .045+" runout on the crank gear. I contacted Bike Berry and informed them of this problem. They told me to disassemble to motor and send them the crankshaft. After they received it and verify the "runout", they might send me a new crankshaft when they get them back in stock.
This is not what I wanted to here, and futher e-mail correspondance with their support dept. yielded nothing. I got pissed and ordered a new crankshaft from BGF. Got it in three days. I then opted to buy and complete new motor from them . Once again, delivered in four days. Then I saw they offered a complete motor lower end assembly for cheap, so I ordered it along with their racing carb with choke, pull start assy, coil assy, etc. Once again delivered in 4 days. All I can say is that BGF takes their business seriously and gets their shipments out fast. I have yet to get it all together, and hopefully with the normal treaking, it will run OK.
I can't recommend BikeBerry because they provide no customer support.
I realized that the quality of this Chinese stuff is sub par with probably a short life. But when you buy new, you expect to be treated fairly. I did pull the crank gear and examined the shaft. This motor should have never been sold. Anyhow, I really like this forum and glad that I joined.
One last thing (for now). I got really tired of getting hit in the head by the handlebars. The center stand need to moved back so the front wheel remains on the ground. Meanwhile, I bought an adjustable steering stabilizer on the "bay" which limits and slows the fork rotation.
Thanks for reading........my next build will go better.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Sounds like you did the right research and got the right parts, it's too bad you got a sub-par(even for china) motor your for your first one. Most of the time they're still sealed in the box they came off the boat in and stacked warehouse style. Never to see light until they get to the customer.

Don't forget to post pics of your Chopper :)

Mercman

Dec 27, 2011
Central VT
Here a few of pics.......I mentioned the steering stabilizer. It has adjustable dampening and also limits the fork rotation which is kinder to the cables. I have yet to move the center stand futher back to enable running/warmup while on the stand. I have yet to run this yet.......it's a nippy 16 degrees today in Vermont. Too cold for my old blood. I'm not a kid anymore (63)!
I put my Honda VT1100 and Kawi 500 tripple H1F away back in October.
But I like turning wrenches. Another china build is already on the board.

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Looks great :) The steering stabilizer's definitely unique, does it get in your legs way? It probably looks farther out than it really is. :p

Should get'r out for a boot before the snow sticks on the ground at least, they can putt along slow enough a set of gloves and a scarf will keep you warm enough to go around the block, heh heh.