Sparks, CDI's and Ohms

GoldenMotor.com

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
I've been having trouble getting a spark. I checked the ohm readings on my cdi and they seem off. This is supposedly what I should be getting:

1) Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire should read infinite (no activity)
2) Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire. Should be about 130-150 K-ohms
3) Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire. Should read between 135-155 K-ohms
Switch to Low Scale 20K
4) Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead. Should be about 2.5 - 2.7 K- ohms

The readings show
1. Infinite
2. 57k
3. 66k
4. 6 (reads "6" at scale 20k)

The cdi was left out int he rain for a week but I didn't think it would damage since it's so well encased. The magneto and spark plug are new so if the cdi doesn't work I'm not sure what I would do.

Last edited:

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
Those things are impervious to rain. I am assuming your engine isn't firing or it quit running?

You need three things; air, fuel, and spark. It is unlikely the electronics just went bad because it sat in the rain when it is encapsulated. It is more likely, that you have a fuel or ignition issue. Take out your spark plug and look at it, if it is wet, you probably just fouled out the plug. Dry it off with a paper towel and reinstall it. Make sure you choke the carb if it is cold out and try to get it fired up.

That is a problem with a carburetor on an engine, it is overcomplicated considering the alternative is fuel injection. Carburetors, to me seem backwards. LOL.

You may even have condensation which has built up on the plug and preventing it from firing. I would not doubt that the power output from the magneto for these engines is sub-standard.