Motorized bicycles enthusiast - hobby - sport?????

GoldenMotor.com

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
buba here

WEEPING WILLOW OR HOME ON THE GRANGE

spent a sleepless night in rainy cold antwerpen reflecting upon where this mb fun has come from and where it may be going

i would appreciate any and all input /feedback - ideas - thoughts - feelings

i so admire and respect the talents of the many builders pat- wolf -scotto -harry- lurker -dale and more you know who i mean you master mechanics
yet i see where those with such abilities seem to be approaching motorcycle building with a set of pedals and their keen talents are race -sport driven perhaps leaving so many enthusiasts in the dust figuratively and literally

what does it mean when a person such as Venice opts out of Grange

and the 2000 dollar plus build looks and performs like a motorcycle with pedals

when a venice beach ride used to involve 20 or more riders and the most recent 6 and 6 fast performance bikes at that
are the stock kit and a few mods guys staying home not to be left in the dust or feel their bike not up to the stuff???

maybe Neil the race events need to be classified not by horsepower but
by how much money the build cost ???
Ducatiluke certainly takes home a trophy

or the tools used to create the motorbike???
where is hammer and drill Bairdco in this picture

Msrfan wanting to mix it up and not break a neck like all us gray beards

this is not meant to be or sound like sour grapes maybe just how to rationalize a sporty/fast build when my k1100 bmw cost 400 bucks

i just wonder if the need for speed is leaving/overlooking so many good times and friendships to be made by so many

we all realize that the kits are coming to an end in the usa so four strokes are the future
but what happens when the police man in blue or brown is told to
"get those guys off the road" and your treasure is confiscated or maybe worse -
turned into a living room sculpture or maybe worse to hear from those with a significant side kick
"honey what about my party shoes , earrings or trip you promised me instead of that thing you can no longer ride -gathering dust under wraps"

for comraderie one idea may be localized or regional build weekends whereby the masters with the knowledge- expertise and machine shop tools can assist the enthusiasts in actualizing their ideas for a build???

just wondering ????

I WANT TO WISH EVERYONE FAST AND SLOW THE VERY BEST AND SAFEST OF TIMES AT GRANGE AND OUT AND ABOUT EVERYWHERE

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Re: mbs enthusiast - hobby - sport?????

Hey Buba, don’t loose any sleep over a bicycle with an engine.

I’ve always been a big fan of, ‘race what you brought’. If I get beat by someone who spent more $$ than I did on their bike, ‘so be it’. If I loose to a 4 stroke, ‘so be it’. If I loose to an Italian 2 stroke, ‘so be it’. If my $10 engine beat your super duper double deluxe with the Flux capacitor, ‘so be it’. It’s all for fun anyways, right?

As for myself, I will be at ‘the Grange’ Oct.22 defending my #1 plate. I will race the best race that I can, with the best bike that I can build. I will have a great time doing so, win or not. I will be with my family and friends, old and new.
Because, Monday I will be working my 8-5…
See you in the pits……

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

hay buba your over thinking it-it's a race not the end of the world as you know it
we're gona hang out have fun and try to do what these motor aren't made to do

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

Wow, missed this thread when it came out. I'ma be candid here and I hope Neil don't mind.

Lemme tell you something. I don't know Neil as well as I could, but I'm a pretty decent judge of character and have trouble getting along with people I don't like. Maybe that's not very tactical of me, but I'm a perpetual realist. I've known Neil for about 14 months and we haven't always got along.

I consider Neil a friend of mine. I talk to him on the phone often and we don't always agree, and maybe perhaps we think the other is crazy. As for myself, I sincerely believe his heart is in the right place. He's a diehard MaBer - one of us, a realist, doesn't like bullcrap, and sometimes he might get overly enthusiastic about his beliefs. I'm sure some of us here can relate - I know I can. Yet, he's prolly trying to please more people than he possibly can when it comes to the races he works hard to organize.

Some here don't like him. I can see where they are coming from. He's all about the "little guy" and maybe some of the guys who think they are big dogs aint gonna like him. Or maybe they just clash with his personality. He's much nicer in person than on here, but every bit as persistent and sometimes annoying. He's got a temper. Really, how much different is he than any of us?

If some people gonna boycott his races, that's their decision. I think those people are wrong to do so, my humble opinion. motorized bicycle riding is about cruising and brethren IMO. We MaBers are a rare breed and we should stick together and not let petty arguments be the end-all. But, everyone has their limits, too.

/rant

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

I will never race, no interest in racing at all. No interest in speed either, 20 is fast enough fo me. I am into motorbikes because I like them. They are light, nimble and fun. I am into utility too, so my bikes have baskets and I can go to the store and get stuff. Not a weeks worth of groceries, but a couple of days.

My favorite is a trip to the hardware store to get some parts for a motorbike - :)

Pure hobby for me. Fun and relaxation on a homemade vechicle. No commuting to work, just short runs around town.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

My thoughs exactly, Mike. I build a bike for reliability and comfort. I make weekly trips to the library, about an eight mile round trip, cruise the neighborhoods and about once a month join some area riders for a long haul run.

Racing is okay; did my share of it in my younger days but 20 to 30 is fast enough for me now. That and a bike that will get me there and back without problems.
No matter what, in any hobby where engines and wheels are concerned, someone will want to be the fastest and race to prove it. That's fine for them. Let them enjoy it. But I'd be willing to bet that you won't see the majority of us on the tracks.

Tom

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

Is it just the Ca. race that you think is problem? don't forget all the rest of the races- next time you can't sleep on a cold rainy night look out the window it's not cold or rainy you just wonted to start some POOP the week before the event, shame on you poop starting man shame!

Re: Venice Beach Ride... Sunday 9/11

buba here

thanks norm for pulling together yesterdays ride even if i was the slow poke on my
put- put stock kit bike thanks for everyones patients

i guess i will have to step up my game

Re: Next SoCal Race Event Oct? or Nov? - 2011

buba here
just some thoughts and questions?????

though i will not be stateside in october and had so much fun at willow
all weekend camping/ riding/ with family /and new friends

thanks so...

buba here
there is enough room in the sandbox simply organize some events as you intended and the participants will follow
sorry to see something so fun has resulted in such fracturing and hurt feelings
i personally go for weekend events at safe locations for cruising around as well as camping and racing etc

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

This is all bringing a tear to my eye......NOT! Get on yer bikes and ride, race, crash, putt putt or whatever. This is a fun thing in life, enjoy it the way you like with a $10 bike, or a $5000 bike.......they all have 2 wheels!

Go for a ride, it'll make you sleep better at night.

dnut

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles

buba here

ez deuce i am no pooper just wanted to get some feedback and other thoughts BEYOND GO FAST going
GRANGE PARTICIPANTS

please get all the pit_ weekend _race stuff on film/digital up for us vicarious riders

SAFE AND GREAT TIME TO ALL

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

Death Race Oct. 29 2011 -no names brought up?-Design Logic East Coast race series -not a word about that one! and the week of the event it looks like a cheap shot MAYBE IT WALKS LIKE A DUCK BUT ISN'T A DUCK BUT THE TIMING FOR IT IS THOUGHTLESS!
event are turn out driven so maybe your high minded thoughts could better be satisfied after the 22nd

Default Re: So Cal Race on Oct. 22 at Grange
buba here

great and safe time for all at grange

i will miss not being there
and we will miss you safe trip home God speed

P.S.
Duce (Italian pronunciation: , leader) is an Italian title, derived from the Latin word dux, and cognate with duke.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

here's my thoughts...

racing was just a natural progression. it's like tom said, if it has wheels, someone's gonna want to go fast.

it does kinda seem like the racing threads get a lot of attention here recently, but since i've been around here (going on 3 years, i think...) there's someone everyday posting either a "how do i go fast?" question, or someone else with a "look how fast i can go..." post.

the drama and BS that's gone on with the Grange race is just that, BS, and i've put it behind me, and i'm gonna be racing there no matter what, even if i have to ride my bike there. as far as some people boycotting it, hey, i can totally understand that. happens in life everyday. some people just don't get along, sometimes it gets personal, and that's the way it is.

aside from the racing aspect of your question, it's still just a small part of what motorbikes are all about.

there's a lot more people than just racers. everyone from the weekend cruiser, to the poor student, to the rich guys who want more toys, the bandwagon riders, the anarchist who hates cars, the old guys who enjoy the build as much (or more) than the ride, or the guy who's just trying to get to work and save some money. as well as a bunch of other people, like the guys who just need something to do in the garage while their wives are watching "real housewives of Kotex County."

i build all kinds of bikes, and most of them go faster than average, and for now, they're my only means of transportation, so they gotta be reliable, comfortable, and looking cool doesn't hurt.

i'd like to see this become less of a hobby and more of a viable means of transportation. but it's hard to convince anyone that it's possible when the majority of them that they see are loud, smokey, oily messes. and that's just the riders.

it's really tough to convince the average american over-consumer that these are safe, economical, and reliable, when the life span of the average bike is less than 6 months, before it's dumped on craigslist, or left to gather dust in the garage, next to the pocketbike, the fold-a-way ping-pong table, and that nautilus machine that everyine bought, and no one used.

i hate to say it, but i think the days of the bolt-on two stroke may be coming to an end, due mostly to incompetence. from the factory on down. i know i don't feel like building any new bikes for sale with the GT5 motors and the CNS carbs. it's a complete waste of my time to build a cool bike, and then put a lump of useless aluminum slag inside of it.

it is a great way to get to know your customers, though, seeing as they're at my house every other day with another, non-bairdco related problem with the engine.

so, hobby? not for me, not really. i always thought of "hobby" as meaning something useless to do when you're bored, like collecting bottle caps or watching football.

i don't think of it as a sport, since i do more with my bikes than just pull it out of the garage on the weekend to ride around a track. i ride the bikes i race. in the future i may have a dedicated race bike, but now it's just building from race to race, trying to find what works.

as far as classifying it goes, it's anything you want.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008

Well-said, Baird!

There's a lot of us here who look at this as more than a hobby. It's our transportation, for whatever reasons.

Myself, I'm not a racer, I got the need for speed knocked out of me in the '90's. Like Tom said, 20-30 is fast enough for me. I love the idea of the races tho, and I'm going mainly to hang out and help out. Maybe take a cruise lap or two on the track. I may race in the future, but for now, I'll be watching the MaBers who really want to win.

I hope no one feels that if they aint racing, they shouldn't be there. It's gonna be fun, on and off the track! :D

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona

I have attended the deathrace in Tucson for 4-5 yrs and NEVER went to race !!!
after 51 yrs, I like to cruise and look good :),,,plus I could never afford to break anything ;)
meeting the other people, and their bikes, in person, as well as the camaraderie was enough for me (^)

I used to go to the drags a lot and people were about the same,,,
some go to race,
some to show their rides,
some just to mingle with like-minded people

,,,just a thought :)

Last edited:

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California

I'm a drag guy....get a couple time slips talk shop hang out...

There is always someone faster...of course they come in on a trailer with a pit crew...LOL!!

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

Hobby, sport or......other?

I'm don't know if there is a personal beefs going on, if they even exists and could care less if they do. Otherwise this might be a good thread to air comments.

I'm all about MABs as alt trans and utility and keeping them legal and as unregulated as possible. With that in mind I've also come to see the value in MAB racing, something I see happening as it provides a LEGAL outlet for the need-for-speed and if done right and responsibly, organized and sanctioned, could offer a good public view to the sport. The folks just have to know and be told, race bikes are for the track and not the street and don't mix that up or we all could suffer.

Anything with wheels and somebody will want to race them, soap box derby to grand prix.
I saw some lawn tractor drag races at a county fair this year, lol, kinda frenetic but one thing about that is you don't see them on the street, so they stay cool. A potential problem with motorized bicycles might come up IF bigger engine race bikes do end up being used on the street. How many impressionable, young kid lurkers read these forums and never post?

Best of luck a safe ride to everyone.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008

As I often find myself doing, I agree with ya Happyvalley.

Perfect example: There's a thread in the forum about a guy who wants to throw a big 6.5HP in a $99 Schwinn Delmar frame. IMHO, that's not good for anyone, least of all the guy who wants to do it. To put such an engine on a bicycle frame demands the utmost respect for such an engine. A $99 department store bike is not showing respect.

Hobby? Sport? Foolishness? I spose we see all kinda sides here. A D&D board game doesn't come with a dice with as many sides as we might see.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

Have you seen the catapults those guys build to chuck pumpkins WELL------some of as have heads like that and some don't Wilie Coyote is a roll modal for me.
P.S. the Rode Runner lives on with out a care BEEP-BEEP

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles

buba here

i would like to keep this thread alive
maybe for the " mb racing sport" if it is to develop

regarding grange --for example --any feedback from those who thought to go??
travel how far ????
but did not for whatever reason ????

ride safe