San Diego's 8th Group Ride

GoldenMotor.com

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
This ride was all two strokes. I've been to 4 rides now!!! I put a total of 72 miles according to the gps plus another 22 to get to and from my house in downtown for a total of 92 miles and runs perfect except for a high idle which I need to fix with a turn of a screw driver. I only have a ngk plug CNS carb and a MM CNS intake and a hub adapter for upgrades. CHINA GIRLS CAN DO IT TOO!!!! Guys if you have pics throw them up on here. Mine have to be resized and will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

-Hawaii

Last edited:

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
Summary of San Diego's 8th Group Ride.

The day started out great lil cloudy but nice temps. We had 8 riders show up at Mission Beach. We had a lot of people asking about the bikes and such and we spent about 35 minutes there. We lined up took some pictures and we were off. Everything was smooth till we got to Hill St. in Point Loma. Two bikes had to be pushed up. Also one rider's muffler was falling off and lost two bolts in the gas tank. "Cory151" was kind enough to offer to weld and make repairs at his house and since we were close we made a detour. After getting the weld job done we headed out for downtown. Again all smooth till the airport. One rider suffered a seized motor and another having trouble with the plug wire hanging on. We had to leave the seized motor and with two discarded cigarette butts, the plug wire was able to hang on (don’t ask lol). We picked up another rider at the top of the Harbor Dr. bridge crossing the railroad tracks. All was smooth till we got to Imperial Beach where fuel became an issue. After stopping at auto zone and 7-11 we had one rider experience ignition problems due to a severed plug wire. We had to leave him and continued to Coronado. All was great ride. One rider lost his front brake pads, but still had coaster breaks. We stopped at Village Pizza and enjoyed lunch. Afterwards we cruised through Coronado and on to the ferry. Upon arrival one rider suffered a broken throttle cable. After buying tickets and waiting 35 minutes, two of were able to get on the ferry while the rest were denied due to "Coast Guard Regulations". So we got off the boat and were forced to now go double back and double our miles. Siphoning gas out of the down rider and filling up with the last of our reserves we continued back around the bay. All was good till my carb started falling off. I had to hold it on with my hand all the way to IB. The other riders took off ahead. After repairs made me and the other rider that was stuck with raced the daylight and to catch up. We caught up with the rest of the pack by the time we got to the convention center in downtown. We all continued to race the darkness and managed to hit every red light. One rider broke all motor mounts at Sports Arena and was kindly towed back to Mission Beach.

Cliff notes version:

Total # of riders: 9
Total Broken: 3
Total # of miles: 72
LOTS OF FUN!!!

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Yes that ride was one of the most adventursum I've ever been on. You forgot about the gas cap that rattled off one riders bike. That was actually a blessing in disguise because two people who we thought we'd never see again caught up with us haha.

It's is definately possible to make it long distances on the china but from what I've seen you end up with about a 50% attrition rate. So I usually assume when we do a 70 plus miler 50% of the chinas won't make it. The one that do make it seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
Good times though.

huffy80

I was the rider that lost the Gas Cap. I didn't screw it down tight after checking the fuel level. My China bike made it a total of 82 miles that day. I rode from University City to starting point. Other than losing one brake pad in Coronado. I didn't have any problems with my China bike. I ordered an expansion chamber from Sick Bike Parts after I got home that night. I hope that will make me faster than that rusted out bike from Santa Cruz :)
Anyone have any experience installing the expansion chamber?

p.s. I ride my bike daily to work 5.2 miles each way with 2 massive hills. Go China Girl !!!

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I was the rider that lost the Gas Cap. I didn't screw it down tight after checking the fuel level. My China bike made it a total of 82 miles that day. I rode from University City to starting point. Other than losing one brake pad in Coronado. I didn't have any problems with my China bike. I ordered an expansion chamber from Sick Bike Parts after I got home that night. I hope that will make me faster than that rusted out bike from Santa Cruz :)
Anyone have any experience installing the expansion chamber?

p.s. I ride my bike daily to work 5.2 miles each way with 2 massive hills. Go China Girl !!!
Very true you had a very reliable setup. I've installed an expansion chamber when I had a china, I gave to Hawaii and he owes me a seat. I had to ding it a little to get it to fit. I only ran mine a week or so as the slight increase in power (combined with my weight) caused me to spin my woodruff key on the crank.

hardcharger

Sep 20, 2011
san diego
well i'll be, if it aint the coronado ferry rejects! HAHA!! Hey guys all things considered that was one heck of a ride, more fun then ive had in a while. cant wait for the next one! this is jason, the brass tank dude. i just joined the forum today and cant wait to see more pics. i only took 5 pics and like hawaii i have to figure out how to resize them for posting. again i cant tell u how much fun that was. i saw that brake pad go flying by me and hauled butt up to hawaii yelling "DUDE I THINK THE BATTERIES RATTLED OUT OF YOUR LIGHT!" lol. and that tow at the end? can u say "i got ur back"? thats what this is all about. good sportsmanship. good lookin out. good times. i'd be honored to ride with everyone again. i really hope the repairs on the siezed motor, the plug wire, the clutch, the brake pad, the throttle cable, the motor mount, the tank welds, the loose carb, and any other mishaps i forgot all go smooth. until next time... oh yeah, my bike has an extreme rake and yes, my back was killing me monday!!!!!

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
Hey this is Kevin with the rusted out Schwinn, that was my first ride and I will never forget it, what a blast!! Even after I broke down it was fun getting towed back the last few miles to the finish. I'm glad my bike lasted 95% of the ride at least. I had to replace some studs and fix my mount, but it's not too bad. I am beefing up blots, and loctiting everything so it can take another long ride. After seeing one bike drop out after another, I think I will order some spare cables and misc parts for the next ride, I don't want to be stranded like some of the guys. Next time you will see my ride with a SBP x-chamber and an upgraded air filter, don't be thinking you will pass me up Huffy80! Hopefully my new pipe doesn't kill everyone's ear drums. I'm already dreaming about the next ride...

Cruiserking619

Sep 20, 2011
La Mesa
Hey guys, "Smokey" Dan here. That ride was a adventure, and it was great. We just need to make sure there are auto parts stores somewhere on our next route. I replaced my throttle cable and just put on a new plug connector yesterday. Hope to see all you guys next time.