which wal mart bike will work???

GoldenMotor.com

watsup

Apr 28, 2011
new york
hi, new here to the motor bicycle world, not new to two stroke though, have had many snowmobiles so using this to pass the time till the snow flys, so i ordered a RAW 66/80cc kit with the straight plug (the slant plug dont seem like it would be as well, as every motor i have had in anything is a straight plug) so i went over to my wal mart today and i like the one bike as i have had two in the past with little problem, one is the Schwinn sidewinder, but looking at the frame, will it work?
Walmart.com: Schwinn Sidewinder 26" Men's All-Terrain Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys

and then the roadmaster granite peak (ive had roadmaster before, more hit and miss to get a good one it seems)

Roadmaster 26" Men's Mountain Bike - Walmart.com

which one would work best with little or no mods to have to be done? if anyone knows were else to get a decent bike for no more than the schwinn send me a link!!! thanks

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Try printing out the engine template and bring it with you when checking out the frames. It's hard to find a new bike that these engines will fit because of the crossbar that slopes down.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
If your only options are between the two bikes; then I'd say go with the schwinn. It looks to be of better quality then the roadmaster.
You'll need an SBP front mount for the large down-tube, and either a ported intake (shorty) or an offset intake so there is no clearance issues with the carb. That should be a good start.

I suggest going around to the local Pawn shops and see if they have something you like. Should be able to find a steal on a much higher quality bike for the same amount.
Best of luck :)

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
IMHO, $200 is still rather cheap for a bike. You want something that will be able to withstand these kind of speeds with an engine vibrating away inside the frame. That looks like it would be a decent bike size-wise for the mounting. Don't expect a perfect mount though. It's not a big deal to order mounting adapters either.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm telling you go to the pawn shops... they don't buy junk bikes.

You may find bikes like: Specialized, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, Giant and so on... I just picked up a nice Gary fisher paragon (new $700+est) for $85 + tax. I have no intention of motorizing it, but it will make an excellent pedal bike. :)

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
watsup Welcome to THE Forum :) I'm with F Rod on this one. I however only buy Schwinn bikes new. I have a Point Beach I ride everyday. Cruiser. Built it three years ago. Aluminum frame. Rode it home from Wal Mart. Some members say aluminum frames don't hold up. Mine is in top shape. Never been on a dirt road. I bought three more and put Dax 50cc motors on them. All but one are on the road. One burned up in a house fire. Xmas tree started it. Pawn Shops are a great place to buy bikes. Garage Sales in rich neighborhoods are another. I got two gently used Cannondale MTN bikes for 100.00 Craigslist is another great place. (c)

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
a bit more than i want to spend, but if it will cause less problems and be able to use the stock mounting hardware would this one work? frame looks bigger for the motor to sit in
Nishiki Men's Pueblo All Terrain Mountain Bike - Dick's Sporting Goods
In order to get a optimum instillation the "V" needs to be at 75 degrees. This will ensure proper mounting of the HT. Thus will lessen the possibility of bolts breaking off or much worst, ruining the engine mount itself. With a small difference in the "V" a shim can be used. Greater difference a modified front mount needs to be used. I have NOT had one build in 5 that the "V" was 75 degrees ( had to made a front mount), and have never has a broken stud or stripped stud hole. Search and read the horror stories of improperly mounted engines. Do it RIGHT the first time and be done.

Just my

Attachments

Last edited:

watsup

Apr 28, 2011
new york
well, little update here, still waiting on the motor, ordered it tuesday night from raw motors, no tracking number yet??? went to wal mart and looked at the two bikes, then went next door to dick, went with the nishiki, seems to have alot better quality and a 20 inch frame so i dont have to the seat all the way out and then some, havent measures the down tube yet, have to grab my calipers from work and measure it. brakes work 10 times better than any wally world bike i have ever had, and front suspension seems decent, hoping the motor shows up mid next week so i start putting it together

watsup

Apr 28, 2011
new york
still waiting on motor..... just checked RAW's website and DANG, talk about a price increase from the 150 plus shipping i paid, to now 219 plus shipping, OUCH