No, Mr. Policeman YOU'RE wrong

GoldenMotor.com

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
ok, so i get pulled over. he wants to see license, reg, ins. i pull out my copy of Rhode Island Law that states i dont need any of that. he tried telling me that the law changed two years ago and even 50cc and under (ANY) gas or electric powered bike has to have the Big Three. I showed him the date i printed the copy of the RI law, right from the website. he insisted the law changed years ago. BUT didnt write me any tickets, even tho the baffle was out. LOUD.
"seriously? you're gonna take me to JAIL and impound my bike for noise oridinance violation?"
"No, i'm just letting you know that i COULD."
"ok, then. are we done? can i go now?" jeebus.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
ok, so i get pulled over. he wants to see license, reg, ins. i pull out my copy of Rhode Island Law that states i dont need any of that. he tried telling me that the law changed two years ago and even 50cc and under (ANY) gas or electric powered bike has to have the Big Three. I showed him the date i printed the copy of the RI law, right from the website. he insisted the law changed years ago. BUT didnt write me any tickets, even tho the baffle was out. LOUD.
"seriously? you're gonna take me to JAIL and impound my bike for noise oridinance violation?"
"No, i'm just letting you know that i COULD."
"ok, then. are we done? can i go now?" jeebus.
More and more police have been to Iraq over and over.

They have seen things that can make you go crazy.

Be careful talking to the police. I say yes sir and no sir and do what they say.

A nice clean cut couple came to my house last week and bought some bikes.

They rode their bicycles to my house and needed a ride.

We packed them into the old mercedes and went down the road.

Got pulled over by a person that looked like a storm trooper.

He made us line up on the side of the car while he checked us out.

He went to his car and stayed awhile.

Came out and made us line up on the other side of the car.

He went back to his car and we waited.

He came out and let us leave.

Yes sir no sir. Thank you sir.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I ride with the new IL. Law in pocket, and seem to be the only one in the club who gets pulled over. Twice the cops have been "hard@&$?" and made me sit for a while till radio calls were made, but always let me go. They have a rough job and i'm not the Guy they want anyway ,so i'm always polite and lett them talk till there wiating for me to say something , then i recite the new law from memory including the paragraph in latest police training manual . That generaly leeds to talking about the bike then i'm on my way.
Once a second cop pulled up in squad and with out even geting out told first cop "oh lett him roll ,how you gona right that up ?" coolest cop ever!

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Spunout, the very best way to attract attention to yourself that you don't want is to have a loud bike/ ride stupid/ look unsafe. Eliminate all those and you will not be bothered.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Spunout, the very best way to attract attention to yourself that you don't want is to have a loud bike/ ride stupid/ look unsafe. Eliminate all those and you will not be bothered.
Right on. That old maxim about "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" might or might not be true. What is a fact is that loud pipes attract attention, often the wrong kind. Police and neighbors don't think they're near as cool as the guy making the noise. Muflle 'em up, guys and stop giving the cops more reasons to hassle you and the rest of us.
Tom

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Ride like you are invisible kill dat engine when ya see da man, take the back way around when at all possible and like several said yes sir no sir goes a long way and especially listen and follow the cops directions!

Cops are like a box of chocolates.....get em a little hot and they is a mess!

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I am a believer in being nice, do everything they say, and if you have something to say, be polite about it.

I was in my car, nearly new and stock, and got pulled over by a WSP trooper. When he pulled in behind he used the loudspeaker to tell everybody with-in a mile, "BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL!!". I watched him as he got out of the car and observed him unsnaping the flap on his holster, and he walked sideways up to my window with his hand on the grips. He was obviously very spooked for some reason. After taking my papers back to his car and running them, he brought them back with a "you can go".
I treat them all the same. You don't know what's going on in the man's head. He could have been having coffee and donuts and talking about some kid on a bike killing another cop......cops do get killed. You just don't know what kind of responce an attitude can produce in someone. They have bad days too.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I am a believer in being nice, do everything they say, and if you have something to say, be polite about it.

I was in my car, nearly new and stock, and got pulled over by a WSP trooper. When he pulled in behind he used the loudspeaker to tell everybody with-in a mile, "BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL!!". I watched him as he got out of the car and observed him unsnaping the flap on his holster, and he walked sideways up to my window with his hand on the grips. He was obviously very spooked for some reason. After taking my papers back to his car and running them, he brought them back with a "you can go".
I treat them all the same. You don't know what's going on in the man's head. He could have been having coffee and donuts and talking about some kid on a bike killing another cop......cops do get killed. You just don't know what kind of responce an attitude can produce in someone. They have bad days too.
still doesn't give them the right to make people feel intimidated imo. when i have a guy with his hand on a gun confronting me am i gonna feel comfortable? not at all. if i suddenly have to sneeze he could over react and shoot me thinking i was making a quick grab for a gun.

if i'm following the laws for the time being i don't think they should have the right to act like that.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Officers are supposed to be held to a higher standard then your layman.
ANY time I feel threatened by an officer, the VERY NEXT DAY, I go TO the station and file a complaint with the sergeant on duty..
If I had an officer come up to me with his hand on his holster, I would immediately after he let me go, I would ride over to the station and make a complaint immediately.

No reason for any cop to have that kind of reaction on a normal stop.

(the ONLY caveat to that is of you're riding at 3am in the worst part of town where "nefarious" characters hang out)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Back when I was a cop and stopped a car I ALWAYS had my hand close to my gun. I'm sorry you feel intimidated, but I would rather you be intimidated, than my wife be a widow and my kid be orphan. The first rule of law enforcement used to be. 'better to be judged by `12 than carried by 6'.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Back when I was a cop and stopped a car I ALWAYS had my hand close to my gun. I'm sorry you feel intimidated, but I would rather you be intimidated, than my wife be a widow and my kid be orphan. The first rule of law enforcement used to be. 'better to be judged by `12 than carried by 6'.
It depends on the situation..
I'll be threathened and then complain...
I'll tell you, most cops I've seen break as many laws as everyone else.
I can't tell you how many times a cop in his patrol car has cut me off at an intersection.. Not too mention the numerous times I'm sitting at a crosswalk and the walk light turns green an he still cuts me off.

I've even had a cop stop me and threaten that he'll FIND SOMETHING to fine me on even tho I'm total legal. I told him, good thing my sunglasses have a hidden camera in them, with sound... He immediately stopped talking and drove away.
FYI that was in NJ where you CAN video AND audio record in public places..
In FL, you can video but NOT audio record, but that doesn't matter because you can still have a lip reader repeat what someone is saying.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I would have been happy to be videoed. Especially when some fat cat asked if I knew who he was and if I wrote that ticket he would have my job. I always love those dash cam shots now. Wish I had them back then. What people actually say not what they thought they said would be great theater in the courtroom.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
if i haven't given the officer a reason to feel threatened i see no reason for him to make me feel threatened. at that point i'm barely any better off then being robbed at gun point by a stranger.

if he thinks i mite be a criminal and that is the reason he pulled me over tell me to wait in my car on the megaphone after i stop, run the numbers before approaching me, and after he knows i'm not the guy he's looking for approach the car and let me know i'm good to go. if i'm on the stolen car or w/e he was looking for, by all means approach with caution. i don't care if an active criminal feels threatened while breaking the law.

i doubt most people will shoot a cop over a speeding ticket, and running the numbers before approaching me for the most part tells him i'm not a threat.

if i approached an officer in a coffee shop with my hand on my holster of a licensed firearm do you think he'd be happy about it? of course not because he'd feel threatened, and he also has a gun, most civilians don't.

i just don't see a need for that kind of response on a routine stop, or even a not so routine stop, because like i said theres another way to approach it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
if i haven't given the officer a reason to feel threatened i see no reason for him to make me feel threatened. at that point i'm barely any better off then being robbed at gun point by a stranger.

if he thinks i mite be a criminal and that is the reason he pulled me over tell me to wait in my car on the megaphone after i stop, run the numbers before approaching me, and after he knows i'm not the guy he's looking for approach the car and let me know i'm good to go. if i'm on the stolen car or w/e he was looking for, by all means approach with caution. i don't care if an active criminal feels threatened while breaking the law.

i doubt most people will shoot a cop over a speeding ticket, and running the numbers before approaching me for the most part tells him i'm not a threat.

if i approached an officer in a coffee shop with my hand on my holster of a licensed firearm do you think he'd be happy about it? of course not because he'd feel threatened, and he also has a gun, most civilians don't.

i just don't see a need for that kind of response on a routine stop, or even a not so routine stop, because like i said theres another way to approach it.
You get approached one time and feel threatened by a officer in uniform because he has his hand near or even on his pistol. First of all, if you don't make a threatening move then you should have nothing to worry about.

Now put yourself in that officers place, if you can. He stops total strangers everyday. He has no idea when he walks up, if you are john the peaceful plumber or john the axe murderer leaving the scene of a triple homicide with nothing to lose by offing him. Who do you think is at the most risk in that situation? I'm sorry, we are going to have to respectfully disagree here. If his department won't back him in that situation, then he has a pretty chicken s*** department. If he pulls his piece that's a different matter, but to put his hand on the butt so he is ready for anything. In my opinion that is how it should be done. He should relax, when he assesses your threat level to him, until then you are a potential threat in my mind.. Like I said we may respectfully disagree on this.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
MY point being, that most cops THINK they're better than everyone else...
Give someone a gun and the ability to carry it around with them and more often then not, they get this attitude.
One of my (now ex) friends was a cop for 20 years.. Still a year out of the force he still has this attitude that everything he does is ok and that he should be in control of every situation but everyone else is doin something wrong or has an ulterior motive and/or should be controlled.
Frig that!
It's a job just like any other... You are paid to UPHOLD THE LAW! Not make judgements. Like the last poster stated... Take precautions but don't have an attitude and don't make people feel threatened...
Of all the cops I've known personally, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM ENDING UP BEING A COMPLETE JERK.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
How about every person I personally meet every day of my life can be Joe the Plumber or Joe the murderer..
Does that mean I can walk around with a gun on my hip and my hand near the hilt as I pass by every person on the street? How quickly would I as a private citizen, be put in jail for harassment or threatening?
The cop obviously thought something was amiss.. We're not getting the full story of the exact situation..
Was I day? Night? Main highway? Back street? Good side of town? Bad side of town? Pulled over for speeding? For driving erratically...
There are a million scenarios and each one is different. I still stand by what I've personally seen and experienced.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I look at it this way liken to the spoiled brat of a adopted step child. Spare the rod spoil the Kid. Society today. Now ya got over grown spoiled brats. You can't tell me what to do!:p

Where was I going. Oh yeah the law is the law so respect it. I never had any of these so called hay-nus problems. I have been approached in this manner too. A simple non studdering yes sir no sir with no attitude. I never got in any trouble that way. Its not that hard to do really. I find the idea of making their job easier goes a long ways. Respect!!