Calif law

GoldenMotor.com

quantogs

Dec 28, 2009
SoCal
oscully,
At the top of the #230 form what do you put in the Vehicle Identification Number and Make??? My bike doesn't have a serial, brand, or manufacturer on it (decal OR pressed). I have a number off of the engine but that's it. Thanks for the help.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Make one up. It's pretty rare for a bike not to have a Ser.# the most likely places to find them are on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell. the rear drop outs or the bottom edge of the head tube. When engines don't have Ser.#'s some owners make them up using the frame # so the two #'s match? You could incorporate the eng. # in your frame #. I've also heard where people incorporate their DL # in the Ser. #. Just be sure to etch it into the frame . Some one posted recently that he left the field blank and the DMV assigned him a #, and sent a note to add it to the bike? I'd be afraid that the DMV would just take no action on the application if I left the Field blank.

ocscully

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the best thing to do is use the serial number of the bike. if you make one up and get pulled over, if that number's not on the bike, they can impound it (and they WILL impound it in newport beach.)

it doesn't matter what the serial number is, either. my last bike's was 4 numbers. they still sent me the plate.

for engine number, use the serial number with an "E" in front of it.

i've registered 6 bikes so far. no problems at all.

plate takes an average of 6 weeks to get.

baadboy

Jul 28, 2010
tulare cal
well im try to be a good sport like every1 else but my old motor and my new1 i cant find the number cant some1 tell me or show me where to find them

baadboy

Jul 28, 2010
tulare cal
OK sorry 4 being a bug just got done reading 30 or more pages on the forum i just want to know if im getting this right bike numbers is all i need for both numbers because i don't have a printer a don't want to have to deal with my ex again to get another form printed out

Tmoney

Apr 28, 2011
california
I got what says on the engine of a 65cc engine size and I was able to have it shipped here in california. But I want to know if anyone cares if it is 65cc's.The law I mean. I think the law is 50cc pedal assist engine bicycles that meet emmition standards in california don't need license, registiration or insurance. Its likely the local cops wont even care as long i drive safe and obey basic traffic laws. I have a friend in my school that drives a scooder that does need an M license, insurance, and redgistiration. But he for two years of driving it has not been puled over. He doesn't even have plates! Cops I guess don't want to waste time stoping motorcyclers that drive well.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I got what says on the engine of a 65cc engine size and I was able to have it shipped here in california. But I want to know if anyone cares if it is 65cc's.The law I mean. I think the law is 50cc pedal assist engine bicycles that meet emmition standards in california don't need license, registiration or insurance. Its likely the local cops wont even care as long i drive safe and obey basic traffic laws. I have a friend in my school that drives a scooder that does need an M license, insurance, and redgistiration. But he for two years of driving it has not been puled over. He doesn't even have plates! Cops I guess don't want to waste time stoping motorcyclers that drive well.
The law as it is currently written says nothing about the displacement/size of the motor. If your motor uses Gasoline you do need a DL (M2 minimum) You do need to fill out the DMV Form 230 and mail in the $19.00 to get the Plate, you do need to ride with a DOT Helmet, and you do need to have a Left Side Mirror. Maybe the police/law enforcement officers don't enforce any of these laws or regulations but they do exist and you can be cited if you aren't in compliance.

ocscully

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I got what says on the engine of a 65cc engine size and I was able to have it shipped here in california. But I want to know if anyone cares if it is 65cc's.
The law I mean. I think the law is 50cc pedal assist engine bicycles that meet emmition standards in california don't need license, registiration or insurance.
Emissions have nothing to do with CA CVC
Every street legal vehicle with a gas motor needs a drivers license in CA
That includes GoPeds, mopeds and motorized bicycles.
Only electric with pedals do NOT need a license.

There is no mention of 50 cc in CVC, it says less than 2 gross brake hp and nobody really cares right now.
You do not need insurance.
You need:
M1 or M2
$19 one time fee license plate
DOT helmet

Believe it or not I am filling out REG 230 as I type this
and going to send it off with my $19 Money Order today!!!

What area in California do you ride?

Last edited: