One Way motorized trip

GoldenMotor.com

GeorgeMiller

Dec 4, 2010
New York
At present I ride my bicycle to my job each way 6 miles.

My job is moving several miles away which would make the trip 10 miles each way. I enjoy riding for the exercise but a 20 mile round trip at times might be a bit much especially if I get a head wind.

I want to get a BMP friction engine kit and only use it when tired.

Questions are:

Are these kits to heavy mounted on the bicycle to allow pedaling?

Any suggestions for a small light weight engine speed is not important.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I peddle my bicycle when I ride with the so. We've gone 10 miles with no problems. 10 miles running my motor is cake.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I can't help you with your question but I'll make a prediction. If you get a motorized bike you're going to be getting tired a lot more often.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

My job is moving several miles away which would make the trip 10 miles each way. I enjoy riding for the exercise but a 20 mile round trip at times might be a bit much especially if I get a head wind.

Questions are:

Get your basic Robin/Subaru w/friction drive and 1.375" roller. Motorize to work, so you get there refreshed, not sweaty.

Then pedal home. You can raise the friction housing for zero drag.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
I can't help you with your question but I'll make a prediction. If you get a motorized bike you're going to be getting tired a lot more often.
HA! Ain't that the truth!

I planned on using mine just for "assistance". Using the motor is addictive. Not only can it make you lazier, but after you get used to riding 25+ mph, pedalling around at 12 mph seems mighty slow.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
HA! Ain't that the truth!

I planned on using mine just for "assistance". Using the motor is addictive. Not only can it make you lazier, but after you get used to riding 25+ mph, pedalling around at 12 mph seems mighty slow.
I totally agree. I love the speed and power that the motor gives. I can't help but ride full throttle. Sometimes I need to ride on a bike trail and 12 to 15 mph with the motor off seems so much effort and so painfully slow. It just isn't the thrill of riding so much faster.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I have the BMP kit with a Robin eh035 & would highly recommend it to someone with your MB needs. Its light, reliable & no mixing of gas & oil. I've done pedal only for miles with ease...
-lowracer-

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
you could use the hybriped sprocket maybe kinda expensive at $50 but would eliminate the left side drag

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.

Questions are:

George... check out Islandhopper rack mount 4 stroke kits.
Island Hopper Bicycle Motors in St Petersburg, FL, US (United States)
This should do what you want.
these are very well thought out kits and are easy to install.
Good luck.
BBB

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
You know a small light weight engine that will be perfect for your needs would be a goped engine.... I mounted one to a trek bicycle a touring bike... The engine is only 23cc's but has super torque and when used with friction drive can propel my trek with me on it (I weight 250 lbs) to speeds averaging 25mph.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
I've always wanted to build a lighter rack/friction type mount out of plate aluminum, the big heavy steel rack mounts aren't needed as i see it... quite a few pounds could be shed, if one were so inclined to build it.
Multiple, Inter changeable drive rollers, bigger bearings, a more secure set of tubular clevis/hemi jointed mounting struts with an eccentric cam device to raise and lower the rollers and hold them against tire more accurately.
But... if one was going to build such a rack, one might as well go for a frame mount, considering all extra work and planing.
No matter what you do with a rack mount, the bike will still be tail heavy and that could make it handle poorly.
(wheelie happy)
But as a first time effort for pure commuting the steel rack 4 stroke systems are hard to beat for the price.
Good luck...
please let us know which kit you choose...
BBB

D4NK

Jan 24, 2011
Torrance, CA
As a huge fan of motorbikes I feel bad saying this but I say go for the 20 mile round trip and try to get your body used to it. You'll be even more in shape and spend less cash, which I'm personally a big fan of.

With that said, if you get sick of it go for a 4 stroke friction drive. It will give you decent enough power and you can fill up at any normal gas station, which is a really nice option with that kind of commute. Luckily most friction drive setups utilize a 4 stroke motor!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If I were you I would definitely get one with lift and lock up drive. They can be a real drag on the wheel if you have to ride it without the motor working. Which is also death on a two stroke to turn it without gas..

Last edited:

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I say go with a 66cc china kit, it's cheap, powerful and light. You can't really tell the different when you pedal, it's that light. And most of all, it's fun!!