so anyone know how to make one of these

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Produces over 12v at 1300 rpm or driving speeds of about 15 mph? That's not even close to accurate, since at 15 mph your rpms are much higher than that. It also states that it will make more volts as you ride faster....what happens to you 10-12v bulb at that point?

You'd be better off using a battery powered light, or using your white wire to power a light.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
see heres what im planning use a 12 volt battery to power lighting system and use either this generater or white wire charge battery with a 12 rectifier

but my understanding is when the motor is puting out less than 12 volts it wont charge the battery only when its putting out more than 12 volts will it charge the battery and since i am gonna be using a jackshaft i expect to be running at lower rpms producing less power

if i couls somehow make one of these to prooduce 12 volts it would charge the battery better right?

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
see heres what im planning use a 12 volt battery to power lighting system and use either this generater or white wire charge battery with a 12 rectifier

but my understanding is when the motor is puting out less than 12 volts it wont charge the battery only when its putting out more than 12 volts will it charge the battery and since i am gonna be using a jackshaft i expect to be running at lower rpms producing less power

if i couls somehow make one of these to prooduce 12 volts it would charge the battery better right?
Regardless of using the built in white wire coil or an add on min-gen coil. The voltage output is proportional to RPM. A battery can be used to keep the voltage constant. When your RPM is low, the battery provides a steady voltage to your lights. When the RPM is high, the battery absorbs any excess voltage from the white wire or coil and that is when the battery recharges. If you are not going to use a battery, your light should be of a high enough voltage so that it will not burn out at high RPM. And without the battery, light output will be reduced at low RPM. A high output LED light with a resistor in series can minimize these problems somewhat. But a battery is the better solution. A 6v battery and a diode are all that is needed to construct a completely functional low power electrical system. The white wire voltage works best on a 6v system. It is too low for a 12v system. The 12v mini-gen with a diode and 12v battery should help you there.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ok i think when i get some cash ill buy a 12 volt mini gen bought for short term ill just plug it in at night

of course i havent even got my second motor yrt these plans are in the future but still im thinking ahead for now

whats a diode i thought a rectifier was all i needed and a i thought a rectifier converted ac to dc im new to this stuff like i said im a good wirer but the diodes and such are beyond me for now

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
ok i think when i get some cash ill buy a 12 volt mini gen bought for short term ill just plug it in at night

of course i havent even got my second motor yrt these plans are in the future but still im thinking ahead for now

whats a diode i thought a rectifier was all i needed and a i thought a rectifier converted ac to dc im new to this stuff like i said im a good wirer but the diodes and such are beyond me for now
A diode can be used as a ½ wave rectifier. It works good as a battery charger with the white wire. It converts AC to DC. If the mini-gen is isolated (I don't think it is), you could use a full wave rectifier (4 diodes) to maximize the output of the mini-gen. The white wire is not isolated so it works best with a single diode. If you try to use a full wave rectifier with the white wire, it will make your engine misfire and lose power.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
It looks like the mini generator could be used as a full wave if you can find the ground wire and extend it. In the pic I can see the rectifier on the other side of the battery. it looks like a full wave, has three wires. On small motorcycles they use coils with more than one winding and as you add a load it picks up the extra winding. Also if you get the voltage correct it will only maintain the charge, if it is run dead it will not bring it back, you then have to use a charger. this is how they keep from boiling the battery. That little rotor has wicked magnetism. In that mini mag I wonder if they are using laminated iron core? It does look like it works, I think an old led acid battery makes a better buffer, and you can still get the one for the Honda 50's, and they look cool. Have fun, Dave

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ok so you guys helped to clarify thingup thanks

but still confused egor when you said
Also if you get the voltage correct it will only maintain the charge, if it is run dead it will not bring it back, you then have to use a charger
did you mean the white wire with a diode the mini gen or the motorcycle winding you were talking about

also if i use a diode withn the whit wire it wont charge A 12 volt battery?

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
ok so you guys helped to clarify thingup thanks

but still confused egor when you said did you mean the white wire with a diode the mini gen or the motorcycle winding you were talking about

also if i use a diode withn the whit wire it wont charge A 12 volt battery?
A diode with the white wire will not charge a 12v battery. Got it? A 6v battery will charge from the white wire. The white wire and diode will bring the 6v battery back even if you run it dead. But you must leaves the lights off for it to get a sufficient charge. If you leave the 6v lead acid battery dead for very long, it will be ruined. I switched to a rechargeable 6v lithium battery and it comes back better after running it dead. The 6v Honda 50 battery that Egor mentioned will work well but they are even less tolerant of full discharges. A 6v SLA can withstand more deep cycles than a motorcycle battery.

Another thought. Even if the mini-gen is electrically isolated, the full wave rectifier could still cause ignition problems. Or it might not. If the core of the mini-gen is not also magnetically isolated, it could disrupt the spark. Two windings sharing the same magnetic core act as a transformer. Current going into or out of the primary winding on a transformer affects/is affected by current on the secondary winding. I have not tested or verified this one way or the other. The simple test is to short the two electrically isolated wires from the mini-gen together. If the motor no longer runs or runs poorly, than that is the problem.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
so heres a diagram i just wrote up it doesnt include the charging system i can figure out a vialbe system later

this diagram of course is just a plan i could find a double filimant bulb for headlights or for a running light brake light combo

if you guys see any problems let me know i think its sound oh and theres a fuse in there i just didnt draw it but it there

Attachments

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
dont get the mini generator from the creations people it dont work its made of sheet metal and crappy deisign i got 1.2 volts and i pait 25 stinking dollars for this pos...

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
All you need is a voltage regulator. I purchased my headlight from he same seller, and it has a built-in voltage regulator. I plan on purchasing the 6v mini-gen from them so I dont need to use the white wire anymore.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
All you need is a voltage regulator. I purchased my headlight from he same seller, and it has a built-in voltage regulator. I plan on purchasing the 6v mini-gen from them so I dont need to use the white wire anymore.
no you dont understand its 1.2 volts coming off the coil.. it should be 6.5 bare min you put 1.2 volts though a regulator and it will be .5 volts its defective.. and cheaply made out of sheetmetal

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
no you dont understand its 1.2 volts coming off the coil.. it should be 6.5 bare min you put 1.2 volts though a regulator and it will be .5 volts its defective.. and cheaply made out of sheetmetal
I dont know what is defective or made out of sheetmetal. The headlight is made out of plastic, and it works ok running off the white wire, I just have trouble idling. I see no reason that I should have any trouble running my headlight off the mini-gen. its a 6v, 3w hleadlight with a built-in regulator.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
I dont know what is defective or made out of sheetmetal. The headlight is made out of plastic, and it works ok running off the white wire, I just have trouble idling. I see no reason that I should have any trouble running my headlight off the mini-gen. its a 6v, 3w hleadlight with a built-in regulator.
the mini generator is made from sheet metal not metal designed for makeing cores.. just take off the tape and look at the core you can see clear cut marks like they used sheet metal shears.. theres hardly any voltage because they didnt wind it enough.. its poorly designed... now the stock 2 stroke magneto white wire thats how much windings you should have not this piddly little thing they made..

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm getting the 6v mini-gen for Christmas. My wife already told me she would get it for me. So if it doesnt work like I want, at least it's not coming out of my pocket.