THUNDERDROME Oct 16th

GoldenMotor.com

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
On October 16th, 2010 the rebirth of Velodrome racing is set to occur in Dorais Park in Detroit, MI. Starting at 8am! This race will be the culmination of lots of hard work, and is the precursor to many races to come in the following year.

Back in August, a group of renegade landscapers calling themselves "The Mower Gang" hit Dorais Park in with tractors, hand tools and a fistful of determination. They literally uncovered a relic of a Detroit passed – a Velodrome, or banked racing track, built in the late 60′s amid the tensions and trials of the riots that broke out in the city only a few years prior to construction.

Around 1967, the project that would become the Dorais Velodrome, located on Outer Drive and Mound Roads, was started. The facility was finished just in time for the ’69 Nationals to be held. In the same time frame when Neil Armstrong stepped onto the Moon, Mike stepped out on the infield of the Dorais Velodrome to return track racing to Detroit, another monumental feat by a determined individual. The Dorais Track had a useful life of approximately 20 years…By the 90′s that track surface had deteriorated to the point it was good only for BMX…Once again Detroit was without a Velodrome.

Snap forward to 2010. The weeds that have grown heartily between the cracks of Dorais’ venerable pavement have been chopped down and graded to form perfect, smooth seams between the cracked portions. The zealous foliage that has been obscuring the track from public view has been pruned back and groomed to present a large, study stone bowl that so many once knew so well. From the sweat of a few local optimists came a beautiful sight never seen: Dorais Park had been given a new lease on life and the opportunity to again host racing in earnest.

Detroit will never be as it once was; the rows upon rows of factory workers and their families have left for good. We believe in revitalization through reinvention – realizing the gifts our ancestors have given us are still here and still very real.

Enter The Thunderdrome. We’re a racing outfit here to get Detroit’s road bike, mountain bike, scooter and moped racers back out into the bright, wide world and competing. The entry fees are just enough to cover the costs of the event – with real prizes, trophies and awards being given out to the victors. Spectating will always be free at every Thunderdrome event – forever. That’s our way of giving back to the community that’s given us the chance to do this at all. We welcome our spectators to become VIP Spectators by donating a minimum of $5 or more to the cause, which can be easily done online or at the door to the event.

Half of all profits from Thunderdrome events will be used to maintain and update Dorais Park and the Velodrome. The other half will be donated directly to Detroit Parks and Recreation. We’ll be taking over the repair, maintenance and general upkeep of Dorais as long as there are people racing.

Let’s get to it.

Are You Brave Enough To Step Back Into History

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
It's amazing, what started out as something small, has grown and almost every race bracket is full now, so they are breaking them into different races. the track is .2 miles, so they will be 5 or 10 laps more then likely, with 5 racers at a time on the track, set up in an eliminating heat fashion.

Ahh the good old days!

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Sparrow I grew up at 10 mile and Mound area.Derby hill and the track were some thing I always look at as kid driving by in the back of the station wagon.My last visit there was in 91' and crack dealers had taken over the area.It's good to see the track being used agian.How about a motorized bicycle bracket next year.

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
Sparrow I grew up at 10 mile and Mound area.Derby hill and the track were some thing I always look at as kid driving by in the back of the station wagon.My last visit there was in 91' and crack dealers had taken over the area.It's good to see the track being used agian.How about a motorized bicycle bracket next year.
as of right now, motorized bikes fall under the moped bracket, unless we can get 5 or more people to make its own bracket. But this will be a race series league next year. If your still in the area, you should so look in to signing up! I know its a little close for this year, but theres lots of time to get things in order for the spring kickoff!

I'd love to eventually see a vintage board track/velodrome race series on multiple tracks throughout the Michigan and Ohio area if not farther. I've currently got a build underway to debut next spring that should be a show stopper.

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Just found this & not a second 2 soon......I will be at the race.....weather i have a functioning race bike is another issue altogether.....my china girl is a pig & my morini needs a clutch bell....& a frame LOL but I am in & starting to spread the word!

Good Show Sparrow69! I hope we can make this the cornerstone of a new Era! (if nothing else its going to be a friggn' good time for sure!)

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Hey Sparrow,
Do motored bikes fall into the moped catagory? or the single speed "scooter" cat? I have a simple cruser motored bike & some specialized ellectric bikes to runn some laps. Hope the weather co-operates! I will do the online register thing assuming it will be no big deal getting bumped up or down into another class!
I will be the fat old wobbly moto crosser looking lost in the pits :D

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
Thud, If i see a someone fitting that description standing next to a motorized bike, I'll be sure to come and introduce myself. I'll be the short viking looking dude eagerly anticipating the next race, lol.

I believe they fall under the moped class, but thats a very good question. The best way to email [email protected], hes working on the categories and the promotions and stuff. I know its pretty much a common sense thing, and at with a motor and pedals, I'm sure it counts as a moped. I'll look for ya!

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
ok, i just double checked, and from what it looks like, it would fall into the pit bike class or the moped class.

The “You Can Sponsor This Class” Pit Bike class is identical to the Scooter class except for a few key differences: You may have a clutch, manual or centrifugal. You may have multiple gears. Wheel and tire size is unlimited. Bike design is totally open, but we suggest a motard-style ride. We’re still imposing a 50cc limit for 2-stroke bikes, but opening up the limit to 100cc for 4-stroke bikes – but you’ll have plenty on your hands as it is. This is basically our catch-all class for those rides that don’t fit under moped or scooter. If you have a question regarding eligibility, ask.
As a side note, I think it would be awesome if one of the vendors here looked into sponsoring the pit bike class so it can actually have some decent prizes we would all use.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thunderdrome
by Katherine

A couple days ago, my friend Erik at Current Motors invited me to go scooter racing at an event called ThunderDrome. He said they had an extra scooter that I could ride. It sounded pretty fun, so this morning I got up earlier than I ever normally get up on a Saturday morning, and rode the NT out to Dorais Park, on the north side of Detroit.

Read more... motorcycles: Thunderdrome

Last edited:

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
The THUNDERDROME was awesome! plain and simple, there's no better way to put it! The races were intense, the people were awesome, and it raised a pretty decent amount for charity. There was free swag, awesome prizes, a good turnout for vendors, and some awesome rides.
There were some pretty sweet motorbikes there, and lots and lots of photographers. 3 from magazines, some people from the news, and everything! Pictures are gonna be up very very soon!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pretty cool that what was forgotten and abandoned is coming back to life in another incarnation. Yes, there needs to be more representation from the motored bicycle world and I can't wait to see Thud out there with his 2 speed electric burning up the track. I'd love to see it in person one of these years. It's so good to see something happening in the upper midwest. Will this be an annual event or more than once a year? Looking forward to the photos...
SB

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
this was a precursor to judge interest and raise money for continued renovations of the track. Next year will be an entire race league, where contestants will earn event prizes and an overall championship trophy similar to nascar.

So to break that down, look for a series of races next year, where people will be able to race in a single race, or in the whole league! I'd love to see the track filled with old style board tracks just reclaiming the glory days of Velodrome racing.

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Glad to hear the event was a success.
Unfortuanatly Life threw me & a member of my crew some curve balls & I couldn't make the event. I trust my entry fee's were put to good use. LOL. Sparrow Link us some pictures whan you get a minute. I read the write up in the free press sat night on-line & am sick that i couldn't make the event. I will be at every event upcoming (& may show up at the that track some saturdy afternoon just for some practice laps & a video session)

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
Thunderdrome Final Race Championships!

This race was between the pit bike bracket winner (green 4 stroke 100cc), the moped bracket winner (black with green wheels 70cc 2 stroke), and a guy who came all the way from north carolina and had engine trouble right at the start of his race (hes the guy on the white bike, 2 stroke 79cc)
A guy in the crowd had one of those hot wheels speed clocks, and said the moped guy hit 54mph coming out of the back final turn. Now I don't know how accurate that is, but it looked pretty fast to me, and it was even faster in person. This track isn't short by a long shot, and at 3 laps, they went 3/5 of a mile.

Here's some of the motorized bikes that showed up. Nice craftsmanship.

YouTube - Detroit Thunderdrome Moped race FINAL

This is the final race between the mopeds, they had 3 heats, 5 in each and took the top two from each heat for this finals race to determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF1fOTlUdWQ

This was the very first race of the day, I actually got a pretty good chuckle out of the guy with the pumpkin helmet!

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Spectacular! the event looks like it was a success. Any one know the true track distance? I cloced the guys at 17ish seconds a lap. & can only find a referance to the the track being less than 325 meters in length....that works out to 40mph average speeds...perfect for this kind of action IMO.
Even more sorry I missed it now. What a perfect day for racing!