Izip currie and mongoose bike owners help

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got to ride my diy build with the curried 450 bike motor today. It did fine except for the god awful noise. It seems to run good and it had great pickup but...

There is a loud rythmic click in the rear wheel. It happens when the the bike is under power but also wehn I push it. the click is new, I think. anybody have any idea what it is.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Deacon

Hello Old Friend (like In A Long Time!! Lol). Is That A Hub Motor?? I Bought A Used Mongoose Cb 24v 450 (cartridge Mount = Motor With Gear Reduction Is Mounted On A Axle Mount) That I Am Converting To Gas Axle Mount.

Very Cheap And Easy Conversion. Waiting For A Sprocket. Plan On Doing A Thread When Done. Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yeah I hung it on the frame just above the axle and I also found out what the problem was a few minutes ago. The darn spring from the rear brake caliper popped off and was rubbing on the knobby tire. Give a real nice rhythmic click click.

That wheel and sprocket would make a good rack mount adapter. The motor would make a good rhino drive as well. I had that thought when I couldn't find the source of the noise.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Well you beat me to it. I was just going to say to check your brakes. The wheels from Curry need some tweaking. I have/had 2 curry wheels. The first I'm still running, but it does need to be trued. The second I found out was damaged from hitting a curb too hard. That one I swapped out the rim and now runs better than the first. Darned out of true wheels play havoc with brake adjustments. :-|| Now, I just run the rear brake with lots of slack and make sure the front brake is well adjusted. It's not like I'm can do over 30 mph on my bike anyway. At 20 mph or less, the front brake is proving to be plenty enough for safe stops along with a slight assist from the rear.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think my wheel is true but I have to back off the rear brake as well. I couldn't get a good enough grip on the handle to make it work well. I have lots of issues since I am running twenty in wheels in a 26" frame.

I will say one thing though the bike does have more torque then the friction drive.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now I know why you guys like the walmart bike. The 450 watt @24v model is what I have but not on their bike or kit. That motor when run at 36v is a monster for torque. Even with the small 20" wheel it runs great. It also performs well battery wise. I ran five miles on it this morning and it wasn't really flat when I came in. I could have gone at least one more mile. That is better than the 600 watt @24v rhino which would perform only marginally better if at all.

I am still going to replace the controller on the smaller motor version of the rhino drive. I stole it to run the chain drive bike.

Last edited:

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
A few months back, I was doing just that. Running 36 volts through a Currie 450 watt 24 volt motor. It do indeed have some torque. zpt As you, I also noticed the extended battery duration. One of my problems was the added weight of the third battery. I still haven't worked anything out for mounting them lower. While riding the bike with the extra weight is no problemo, it's when I park the darned thang. I've already dropped the bike a few times cause I can't find a suitable kick stand. :-||

If you remember, I was also having a problem with "stuttering". I couldn't go even half throttle from the git go without the whole thing going herky jerky on me. I had to get up to speed before being able to go WOT. Are you having any similar issues?

I've since backed down to 24 volts, but still have that stuttering issue. I know it's not the bike as it's happened on another ebike that was set up with a hub motor. Btw, running 36 volts through that 350 watt 24 volt hub motor would cause it to get hot. The Currie motor also ran just a tad warmer than usual.

This past week has been fairly dry, so I used the bike to get to work and back. I supposed I can live with the stuttering, but I need more gears. The motor pushes the bike faster than I can pedal, with the existing 7 speeds. This means I'm limited to going less than 20 mph. More like only 15.
I may have to forego the cool factor in using a cruiser frame and go with the original ezip frame so I can get more gearing. It's also more sturdy and can handle the extra weight of a third battery without falling over. Back and forth, back and forth. laff

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
No stuttering here at all. It runs smooth however I have noticed that the throttle makes a difference as well as the controller I expect. I had one throttle that did not advance smoothly. I still have it and will use it on the rhino this time. It seemed to have a three or four power settings and moved from on to the other.

I carry my batteries in a trailer so I don't have a problem with the balance of the bike. Getting the kick stand right is a real issue with me. I might get an adjustable one from wallymart one day.

I bought one of those little convex mirrors from the auto parts store. I used a bit of pre-drilled angle to mount it on, Then i attached that to a long 1/4 bolt and taped the bolt to the handlebar. Lots of black tape. The convex mirror really does work well and it will be easy to replace when the bike falls over which they always seem to do in the shop.

That 36v on the currie is a great combination. Mine does about 15mph with the 20" wheel but im sure it would do more with a 26" one. Of course I like the slow speeds so Im cool with it. I'm giving some thought to moving it to a full suspension bike. Since I mounted my motor to the frame near the rear axle and hanging out from the frame, I could mount it no problem the whole thing would move up and down as a single unit. I only have one speed rear so gearing is not a problem for me. I do need to find an old suspension frame so I can remove the rear wheel to put my double sprocket wheel in it. If I go that route.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got in a real world range test of my DIY version of this bike. I have ridden it in the neighborhood for the same amount of distance but hadn't really tried to to go to a specific destination more than a mile away before. So this morning I rode the bike five and a half miles. I rode it at a comfortable speed. Just slightly more than a geared bike would do with an average rider. I have ridden the same distance with a rhino bike so I was pretty sure the batteries would hold up. The rhino comes home sagging but it gets the job done.

This bike has more torque than the friction drive for sure. I rode it about half throttle all the way on the rhino it would have been full throttle most of the way to do the same speeds. When I got home the batteries read 12.9 so it still had at least another mile on them.

The trip I took was to the thrift store north of me. It is about as far in that direction as i would want to go. I plan to try the bike on a trip to the lake next. It's about the same distance but the hills are monsters. If that is successful, I will have to find another destination.

During the hottest part of the day no one walks on the trail, so one day I might slip onto it and see how it does on that.