Any tips for mounting a 70cc on a Schwinn Jaguar?

GoldenMotor.com

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
In addition to non factory studs, get some lock nuts and new lock washers. If you can afford it, use metric couplers as your nuts and you'll really be able to torque those US made studs.

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
I went to Lowes, Home Depot, Advanced Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Auto Zone and a few local Hardware stores and NO ONE HAS METRIC RODS OR SCREWS LONG ENOUGH TO CUT!!!

So I searched online for a while and found a site Fastener Mart I found a 1 meter rod for just under 7 bucks and I never clicked add to cart faster :) Amazon also has 1 meter rods but they are 20 bucks there.... boooo

Here is what I bought

MRD160-1452 M6-1.0 x 1 meter Threaded Rod DIN 975, A2 Stainless Steel, 1 pc 1 $6.76 $6.76
MNT169-9912 M6-1.0 Hex All Metal Prevailing Torque Lock Nut DIN 980V, Class 10, Zinc Plated, 100 pcs 1 $5.83 $5.83
MWS109-6992 M6 Split Lock Washer DIN 127, A2 Stainless Steel, 100 pcs 1 $3.06 $3.06
MWS109-6972 M6 Flat Washer DIN 125A, A2 Stainless Steel, 100 pcs 1 $2.63 $2.63
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: 2nd Day Air: $14.91
Order Total: $33.19

Not a bad deal with 2 day shipping :) I will update when the items arrive.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have found the rod's at Home Depot & Ace Hardware....the rod's at Home Depot is not where you think they would be, I can't remember where but do remember that I thought it was strange where they put them. I can go right now and walk right up to them.

Thier seem's to be alot of member's having trouble with this...Here in Tucson we have cal-fastner,State Industrial supply,airhardware Inc, and several other's that I can't think of thier names. But...they have every bolt,nut,stud,threads,washer's, that you can think of..

Their has got to be a place near where you live that has the same thing. Look in the phone book, Hardware, fastners, ect...
:ride2:

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
I live in Philadelphia PA and you would think a big city like this would have at least one place with metric rods. Oh well I just have to wait a few more days until they arrive. I cant wait to continue building the bike.

Oh and Home Depot did have the rods but they do not carry metric sizes only standard, around here anyway. Silly Home Depot.

colorider

Jul 8, 2008
Colorado
hey, i like this thread, seeing as how i'm wanting to motorize my Jaguar! feel free to carry on in great detail, guys :)
Me too! I just bought a Schwinn Jaguar (part of me could not resist telling my co-workers that I drove, "the Jag" into the office). I cannot wait to get it hopping with a nice little 2-stroke. Keep us posted on your progress. Photos!

^5

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
Just got my parts in!! Now I have to go to the dentist :( but after that it is BUILD TIME!@!!@!

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
Well I went to the dentist and I have to get a root canal :( but who cares its bike building time!!!

I found this pdf file that is helping out a great deal check it out here http://www.livefastmotors.com/pdf/two_cycle.pdf

I used the all thread rod I bought (look at my earlier post to see what I bought and what I paid) and cut two front engine mounts out of it. I cut them at 2 and a quarter inches and it worked PERFECTLY!! I used a dremel rotary tool and it worked no prob.

I just got done mounting the sprocket to the wheel and am about to remount the back wheel.

Note: when taking off the rear wheel, take all the air out to avoid wanting to destroy the rear brakes :)

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
Wheel is on chain is on but its way to big so I have to go buy a chain tool (local bike shop) so I can make the chain shorter. So I will be back with more info :)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I just use the bench grinder and a punch and hammer and knock it out....I know I took some pic's to do a thread about it but I have no Ideal what I did with the pic's. It's in my PC somewhere.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I just use the bench grinder and a punch and hammer and knock it out....I know I took some pic's to do a thread about it but I have no Ideal what I did with the pic's. It's in my PC somewhere.

That's what I've done for 30++ years....then I bought a P.O.S. Bell/walmart chain breaker which lasted exactly three times. I bought a Park tool and used it once just to test it......I could still use the grinder and punch method, it's just as fast and accurate, only thing is you can't re-use the link once the grinder has had it for lunch.

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
Bad news. I screwed up the chain because the tool I bought kept sliding off the pin and ended up damaging the chain enough to make me wanna wait to get a new chain.

Anyone know a good place to look for a chain? I live in Philadelphia if that helps.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I get my chain at a local place...If you can find like a place that has go-karts and outdoor power equipment you can get a chain thier.

Most of the guy's here get it at Tractor supply, I noticed they went up in price, you might want to check Northern Tools, last time I checked it was $9.99

#41 chain....It will look alot smaller then the stock chain, but it will work great.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/replace-repair-chain-1139.html

Search Results.....Tractor Supply

roller chain from Northern Tool + Equipment

Yes I just checked...$17.99 at tractor supply....$9.99 at Northern for 10ft

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
I get my chain at a local place...If you can find like a place that has go-karts and outdoor power equipment you can get a chain thier.

Most of the guy's here get it at Tractor supply, I noticed they went up in price, you might want to check Northern Tools, last time I checked it was $9.99

#41 chain....It will look alot smaller then the stock chain, but it will work great.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/replace-repair-chain-1139.html

Search Results.....Tractor Supply

roller chain from Northern Tool + Equipment

Yes I just checked...$17.99 at tractor supply....$9.99 at Northern for 10ft
Thanks for the info! I just ordered the one from northerntool. I also chose ups AIR so I hope it comes by Friday :)

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
The Bike is built!!! Now all I have to do is adjust the chain tensioner and im set!!! I will take some detailed pics to show my awful work. But maybe it will help anyone else wanting to build on a JAG.

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
I have some good news and bad news. The good news is I went to the gas station, put gas in, mixed oil and she fired up and ran beautifully!!

Now onto the bad news. I drove back to my place and conducted a thorough inspection to make adjustments. I then noticed the chain tensioner had move significantly and was a hair away from catching a rear spoke. So, I tried making it tighter and it still moved so I got some washers and taped them to the frame to use as shims....this kinda worked but it threw the dam thing outa wack and now because I overtightened the thing it is useless.

Oh and more bad news I tried to pop another pin out of the chain to make it a bit tighter and I broke my chain tool. What a waste of $20 that was.

So, now I need to find a better chain tool and possibly another chain tensioner.

Note to Jag owners: The chain tensioner cannot be made tight enough on our frame. You will need to find a way around this and that is what I am trying to do.

Anyone know where I can find a better chain tool? The one I got was a Park CT-5 Chain Tool so stay away from that.

Also, anyone know of an alternate chain tensioner? One that is made better and able to tighten around a smaller frame.

Edit....I found a pretty nice chain tool. You can find it here Chain-A-Part Motorcycle chain cutter tool

Last edited:

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
thanks for the Jag updates, DolleRMaN!

i was planning on buying the Park Tools chain tool after the Wal-Mart Bell pot metal piece of crap fell apart on first attempted use. i thought Park Tools were supposed to be good?

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
Well it snapped while I was trying to pop the chain so I would call that junk :) I just ordered the new one so hopefully it will work much better. I am gonna try and make the chain tight enough so I wont need a tensioner.

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
The chain tool arrived today "Model B-5035 for Metric sizes 415-520 Series Roller Chains" and it is 100 times better then Park tool. It feels like it is actually made of real metal :)

I have to go to work in an hour (overnight shift sux ) but when I am done I plan on getting the chain the right size and hopefully be finished with the build.