planning a build..

GoldenMotor.com

jahdoos

Mar 20, 2010
charlotte
Hi everyone, this is my first post! Great site I've learned a lot already looking through some other threads. Here's what I'm looking to do..

Build a motor bike for everyday use and hopefully some long distance coastal touring this summer. I have an old Trek 820 that was gifted to me I can use.

My questions are, will this be suitable frame? And

Since I will be using everyday and hopefully for extended long distance trips reliability is important for me. Second most is a quiet motor(I've read some threads about adding muffler and intake silencer). Without experience I am going to say power isn't a big deal for me. I'm very much fine cruising at 20-25mph. So from what I read Tanaka seems to be highly regarded for quality and reliability although it seems to come at a cost premium.

But before I get ahead of myself, feedback on whether the frame will work well. Next would be motor suggestions that are quiet and reliable.dnut

Hot Wheels

Jul 7, 2009
chicago
Hi, I've got five bikes, 4 of them are 2 strokes and are a little loud, but the fifth one I just built I bought a 4 stroke from spooky tooth it's pretty quiet stock but I anded a flex gas pipe ran it to the back of the bike and added a lawnmower muffler on the end, it's nice and quiet and runs great no oil mixing,great on gas, and very smooth. what bike to use I like the Schwinn cruisers. either motor fits right in, and I think there very comfortable on long rides. good luck on your build can't wait to see your pics.

.wee.

Last edited:

jahdoos

Mar 20, 2010
charlotte
Will not be able to fit 2 or 4stroke in that frame. Sell the trek and buy a good cruiser from a bike shop not wal-mart and the sky will be the limit.

Adam
I just took measurements and came to that conclusion.

Also after more research it looks like a 4 stroke is going to be best motor for noise level and reliability.

I am a little confused though...

Everyone agrees the 4s operates at lower dB but I heard some people saying 2 stroke is more reliability and easier to fix/maintain. Then other people were saying the opposite.

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
I have built 13 2 strokes and one 4 stroke. The 4 stroke is not a stylish looking engine as the 2 stroke and is more expensive but the ride and next to no maintenance is priceless. I am on the list for the new titan in frame 4 stroke from dax. The 2 stroke requires maintenance nothing hard but if you just want to ride go with the 4 stroke. DO NOT MESS WITH THE gasbike net 4 stroke you get what you pay for. I can say the Grubee that bicycle-engines.com sells is good just do your home work ask lots of questions dumb ones too and you will be good. Lots of great help on this forum.

Adam

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
id go with the 2 stroke....you think now that you dont want power but youll want power after about a day of riding slow....as for the noise...that is relative i dont think theyre loud....what ever you decide good luck and have fun