BossCat's Push Trailer

GoldenMotor.com

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
I got a flat in my rear bike tyre on thursday night, at first I thought nothing of it, but now my thoughts have changed a little?

I took the trailer for a spin yesterday and discovered that my rear tyre looked a bit low, I stopped and put some more air in. After setting off again I looked back when rounding a corner and saw that my back trye looked like it was trying to come off the rim?
I starting to think that I should have set the battery box slightly more towards the rear of the trailer rather than between the wheels. Setting the box a little futher would compensate for the weight of the motor pushing down on the towarm?

As you can see in this picture I set my wheels slightly more towards the rear of the trailer. Now I think i'll either have to more the wheels forward and shorten the chain or move the battery box more towards the rear?
First I'll try elevating the tow arm a bit (as it sits at a slight angle) and see how that feels.

So it looks like theres more testing to be done, then possibly back to the drawing board :rolleyes:

Regards
Tom

PS... It could possibly be the tyre I got for my bike? When I bought new tyres the other week I could only get a knobbly 700 X 35C which I put on the rear. A few days later I got a more slicker tyre 700 X 38C which I put on the front. I may swap the tyres over and try that. BTW the tyres I had on my bike were 700 X 40C. Iv'e seen some on ebay - 700 X 42C that I was thinking of getting.

Last edited:

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
As yet I haven't gotten around to fixing my trailer/bike tyre problem(s) but I just thought i'd let you all know that I dropped lucky again on the freecycle site.

A guy had advertised some motorcycle batteries a while back and I missed out on them. Well yesterday he had relisted them due to faliure to pickup. He was clearing out his shed/garage and had lots of odds and ends that he was going to take off to the dump if no one wanted it.
I took a trip over with my trailer to pickup a reel of cable and what were described as motorcycle batteries - 2 6V and 4 12V.
When I got there the guy was quite impressed with my trailer and we chatted for a while, he then went and got the cable and batts. When I saw the batteries I thought - LUCK has shone on me again?

The batteries are.....

2 x Yausa 6V 12ah

4 X Yausa 12V 17ah

At the moment I am in the process of giving them a charge, fingers crossed there all alright ;)

Regards
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have had terrible luck with my old 12v 12 ah batteries the last few days. It isn't the batteries even though they are over a year old, it is the wiring. I keep finding little problems that cause them to fail while I'm using them. My 12v 17 ah ones have posts with screw holes those I like much better than the ones with the clips that slide on.

But good luck with the batteries.