ATV 50cc Full Auto on a stretch!

GoldenMotor.com

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
There ya go! I hope this helps. I changed my final drive sprocket to a 36t, reversed the jackshaft gears so I have a 13t from the engine and a 14t to the 36t. It is kind of rainy for a few days, so I will test it again later. I finally got the rectifier in and wired correctly today. The battery is now being charged! WOO HOO!!! No smoke came out of it this time. You know, stuff just don't work right after you let the smoke out of it. I am using the kit kill switch as my starter button and I added a kill switch that is made for a dirt bike. Looks kinda cool. I'll get some more pics after I get some more testing and details taken care of.
Jason

Wow, those pics turned out really fuzzy! Sorry about that. Maybe the lighting sucked.

Attachments

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
UPDATE!! It finally quit raining here for a little while. I was able to get in another test ride since changing the sprockets. This thing will still take off without pedaling. I only rode through the neighborhood, so it wasn't a WOT test. It will do a solid 38mph uphill with my 220lb tail on it and not WOT. I was able to get to 47mph, but that was pushing it in my neighborhood. The speed limit is 25mph and lots of adjoining roads. Could be deadly to tempt fate here! I do belive I am done with kit engines and testing gearboxes, atleast for now. Only time will tell how this will hold up, but it looks very promising.

I want to let you know that I made a mistake about the rear sprocket. It is not a 36t, it is a 44t. Woops!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2009
EastCoast USA
This build of yours is to much fun for you, please do post any new updates.

Also you do have an Micargi Mustang 3.0 yes / no ?

Could you please post measurement for your frame who many inches from bottom bracket to your seat down post. It appears mounting the ATV / Honda cloned mini trail 50cc horizontal 4-stroke will need less modification for mounting on the stretch cruiser Micargi Mustang 3.0

The thought is maybe I'll scrap my Greenline frame and go with the Micargi Mustang 3.0. My Honda chinese cloned Lifan 4-stroke 110cc horizontal motor's measurements are 18" x 10-1/4" x 10-1/4"

I hope your build is progressing, and am looking forward to seeing more of it soon.

ECCMB.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
The seat downtube is roughly 9.5", the length of the center opening in the frame is roughly 23.5" from the support tubes on the seat post to the support tubes on the front downtube, the height is roughly 13.5" in the frame opening at the highest point.
The engine measures roughly 16.5"L x 10"H x 11.5"W.
I'm not sure about the 3.0. Isn't that the 3 speed model or am I thinking of something else?

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
the 3.0 is just Micargi's fancy way of saying it has a different style rear fender than the GTS or standard model.. I'd love to find out if that Lifan motor would fit..I've been eyeballing them for a while now on eBay but am afraid I don't have the technical skills to do the fabrication work necessary for the full build out, or what extra pieces parts are needed..

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Thanks MMG, I had no idea what the 3.0 meant. If you should dare to get one of these little power houses and try it, I think you would be very impressed. I rode mine a little more today. Changed the jackshaft gears again. 10t from the engine and 13 to the tire. Not near as much low end. It will still take off without pedaling, just slower out of the hole. I can't make myself go over 50mph. There is not much throttle remaining at that point and the bike is jumping up and down pretty bad. The tires will have to be balanced for this type of speed. Man it is sweet to cruise between 35-40mph with the engine at a low rpm instead of WOT and sounding like something is about to explode!

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
i honestly can't even wrap my head around wanting to go 50mph on one of these without proper disc brakes and fatter tires.. I personally would love one of the 110-125cc Lifan motors with a giant fat drive sprocket on a Micargi Royal, drop the pedals, add a kick start and some pegs as my town has numerous 30-45 degree hills that have been a pain to navigate around with the 2 strokes. I would be totally ok with maxing out at 35 with a 72 tooth rear sprocket if it means I have the massive torque and climb ability.. It's been my toughest selling point to get around thus far with the 2 strokes..the other trick would be making it street legal as anything in Michigan, even 50cc and under technically need brake lights and turn signals.. the po-po is generally pretty decent about it all but I did have one pull my spark plug and tell me to pedal home.. a higher CC motor would definitely need to be legitimately set up..

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I'm running a 50cc with a 44t final drive sprocket. I have been playing with the jackshaft gears, but it would certainly do the job you are describing with no problem. You could add brake lights and stuff pretty easily. I am thinking of doing the same just for safety, now that I have a battery. You can find cheap motorcycle parts for doing this. I have already added a dirt bike kill switch. The brake handles will probably be next with pin switches for lights. I do have a disc on the front tire and a drum on the rear.

Last edited:

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
the 50cc 44 tooth 2 strokes I've been selling don't manage the big hill /hills here downtown. Grand Rapids was built on the Grand River (hence the name) and I'm dealing with a 45 degree angle that at it's most challenging (and central to downtown colleges) is about a 1/2 mile uphill due to the 1,000 year flood plain. People here are also pretty big coming from Dutch stock (I am 6/4 and 230 and considered "average" size so the larger motor/larger sprocket is a great selling point. I've actually been eyeballing the lifans for the last year but didn't know anyone had made the jump here until today. Knowing it can be done is lighting the fire under my arse to learn the skills and get the capital to build out more than the quirky one off builds slapping a simple Grubee on these things.

And yeah! a rear drum/front disk is what I was aiming for too..the next thing would be lights, which I'm assuming is more or less coming up with a rechargable power supply and a decent looking set of lights. There was a cat on eBay selling bearing switch tail lights..hit the brake and the ball rolls from the centrifugal force to complete the circuit and light the light.. My last build I used a boat horn for a older guy who wanted people to know he was there..loud bikes save lives..

Dec 7, 2009
EastCoast USA
Civlized, MMG, I'm still working on my Greenline stretch cruiser with a Lifan 110cc chinese ( honda trail bike ), cloned horizontal motor almost identical to your motor Civlized.

Here's what I'm working with I think this is the best way to go 4-Stroke!

ECCMB.

Second pic would not load will try reposting again.

Attachments

Dec 7, 2009
EastCoast USA
Civlized, I still in the planning of this new build, but just wanted to say the nice thing about these honda chinese cloned 4-stroke motors is no more mixing oil & gas, and can run lights.

I like it ALOT.

If you have any suggestions or idea's to make this build any better I would appreciate them.

ECCMB.

Attachments

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
Finally made a little headway with my project. Thought I would post a few pics before I get too far along. I normally forget to take pics along the way! I had to make a jackshaft or mount the engine off center. I chose the jackshaft, gives me a little more options for gearing and the engine always looks better centered, to me. I am not sure how well this is gonna work, but we'll know soon enough. I have the jackshaft mounted, TSC chain tensioners mounted, engine mounted, and working on fabricating the brackets for the rectifier, starter relay, cdi, ignition coil, and battery. This engine is electric start only. Not sure how I like that yet. I chose the smallest battery I could find in Autozone. I'm sure that if the engine is cold natured and hard to start, I will kill the battery fairly quick, but I wanted to keep it as small as possible. I made the exhaust from 3/4 conduit and parts from a dirt bike exhaust system. I had to fab the intake because of the lack of height between the engine and the frame. The engine cost $189. That was with the cdi and carb. I had to purchase the other parts seperate, but they didn't cost that much. I am very anxious to get this going, but I'm trying to pace myself and do it right the first time. I normally forget that too after I get into it a little! I plan on getting everything fabbed and mounted to give it a test run before painting and detailing too much. I am really concerned with braking. This engine weighs a little more than the standard kit engine. I have a freewheel on the final drive sprocket. I am thinking of removing that if the brakes aren't quite enough. .shft.
awesome i have 3 of these honda 50 motors laying around 1 is stock 1 is a big bore kit w manual clutch kit 96 cc and 1 is a chinese copy 110 you have opened a new door for me my friend the big bor kit with manual clutch and cam would be too much but let me say thank you for doing this i see the light .wee.and ill tell ya these engines are by far the most reliable ever (EVER)!!!! AWESOME !!!!.shft.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Thank you skipu. I think I am going to really enjoy this build. I rode about 50 miles yesterday. I love it!!!! Around 50mph gets a little scary. I am going to have to try and balance the tires. I don't really want to go that fast, but if it's possible why not make it smooth.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
ECCMB, are you going to use that bike with rear suspension? Might make it a little more difficult for setting up the drive chain from the engine, but I think it is doable.
Does your picture depict using a jackshaft to the pedal chain? That would be slick.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2009
EastCoast USA
ECCMB, are you going to use that bike with rear suspension? Might make it a little more difficult for setting up the drive chain from the engine, but I think it is doable.
Does your picture depict using a jackshaft to the pedal chain? That would be slick.
Civlized, yes gonna try to run jackshaft thru the swingarm pivot, that way can save the rear disc brake, so much of this build is up in the air it's changing day by day.

BTW, everyone if you choose to run a honda trail bike chinese cloned 50cc 4-stroke horizontal in a stretch cruiser you can order wiring harness just like the old honda trail bikes that had head and tail lights, turn signals, running lights are awesome for night riding etc...And the ( $-price-$ ) of these 4-stroke 50cc motors around $200 American bucks ain't bad either...

ECCMB.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Anybody here knows what's the head tube diameter of that stretch cruiser frame? and the Overall Locknut Dimension(OLD) too...

Can I use sealed/ cartidge type bottom bracket on this frame?

Thanks... :)

Last edited:

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
I've switched the bracket bearing set out on 8 of 12 micargi builds thus far and my local bike shop just says "standard sized BMX style" bearings.. they usually offer me the new set for $10 but I tell them I want the sealed ones and they jack the price by $40.

these guys
actually told me at one point they'd give me 10% off my order if I sent in the wheel and bottom bracket bearings to them so they could get the bike/style bearings in their database..

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Aero07 tried out this bike yesterday. He wasn't able to get up to full speed with the distance constraints of a parking lot(probably wouldn't if he could've), but I think he liked it. Maybe it will warm up a little and I can get finished with this thing and put this thread to an end.