Little chain snab

GoldenMotor.com

Dylanpieper

Jul 21, 2009
Iowa
Hello MB Forumss! To the good stuff.
Well first of all we had to grind down the sprocket for the motor it being able not to fit a chain size lower than the chain that came with the kit (415). Then i got 3 blocks in (nighttime) and the chain flew off and we couldn't find master link. It got jammed between the sprocket and the left side of it. Heres a pic. I'm thinking it jumped up and got caught. Theirs also a pic of my chain for a example. Smaller a chain or new idea? Sorry i have no clue what the chain is, we just compared in a hardware store with no specs. The one i got from thatsdax was a 415 non greased.

YouTube - Untitled <--- Brief Description

:-||
scratg

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dylan,
The chain wil not go on the way you're trying in the video. You must feed it around the sprocket with the clutch disengaged, handlebar lever squeezed. There is not enough clearance at the point you indicated. A trick is to use a socket on the sprocket nut to rotate it or you can pry it around with a screwdriver but be careful doing it that way; you can crack the aluminum case where you pry against it. Also the master link goes on one way. The little spring clip needs to be installed so the closed end goes into the engine first when the rear wheel is rotated forward. Get back to us if you still need help.
Tom

Dylanpieper

Jul 21, 2009
Iowa
Of course thats the way i always put it in, but see the difference in the clearance? In a short 2 block ride it god snags on the side witch cause scratches from the chain and jammed and made the master link poped off. Just weird luck? Mabye.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How much slack do you have in the chain? With the bike pushed forward enough to tighten the top chain you'll want 1/2 to 3/4" slack measured at the center of the chain, between sprockets. More than that and you can experience chain wrap on the leaving side of the front (engine) sprocket.
The scratches you see are normal. Every engine I've examined showed evidence that the chain hits the engine case at that point. Even when the chain tension is correct. I posted a modification that will fix that and I'll look for it and get back to you with a link.
Tom

Dylanpieper

Jul 21, 2009
Iowa
Ok so im guessing its was just very unlucky chain noise :( well that's definitely better than having to try to make something else.