Getting tired of trying

GoldenMotor.com

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ok The rings are broken here are some pics as promised any opionion would be appreciated

But my feeling is that when I got the kit a tab was broken off the carb and I had an air leak I did replace the carb but the damage was already done it was just a matter of time,

Another thing that concerns me is that the piston looks like it was hitting the top of the jug.
I will check my mileage log but I think I got over 2000 miles out of this kit.

Attachments

Last edited:

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I am beginning to think that the head gasket was too thin and the piston head was hitting the top of the jug the entire time I had the engine. That impact caused the rings to break,

The funny thing is that I never changed or Monkeyed with that part of my kit.:-||

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
You might very well be right, I was looking at the gap in the ring in the first picture.
It's not in its correct place. Here are my pix of my piston hitting the head.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Those Gouge marks are from something that got in the cylinder. It got trapped between the piston and the head.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah but ... take a good look at the rings, I think the marks were possible made by the rings they are cracked and I think the material came from my rings.

I went to co-cart place yesterday and I showed hem the cylinder and the two macniquesthere seem to agree.

I could be very wrong it's happened before.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think the wrist pin keeper came out and then the piston started hitting the head.
At any rate, it's done, and for the prices of parts vs. a kit, I'd buy a kit and sell or keep the "extra'' parts.

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
The wrist pin clips will be inside the holes on each side of the piston. Small, almost circular wirelike with an ear pointing down its center. The ring locater pins are very small inside the ring grooves toward the intake side if installed properly. You can run a screwdriver blade around the ring grooves to find them, they are very small.

Last edited:

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It does look like the locator pins came out of the rings slid up to the head did some damage at the top they are probably in the crank case somewhere.
The wrist pins are still in place. let me know what you guys think.

What would cause the locator pins to come out.

Attachments

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
Bad Quality Control, they are just pressed in. After I get my engines, I pull them out with pliers and JB Weld them back in. If I can't get them out with the pliers then I figure they are good to go.

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
Well, so far it has worked. The JB Weld is only good to about 500 degrees if I'm not mistaken. I only use a very small amount on the tip of the pin ( which I believe is steel). As it heats up the piston casting will heat up at a faster rate and " pinch" the pin ( then the JB Weld melts off). This is not scientific at all, just my assumption as to why this seems to work for me.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
wrist pin clips have a machined groove they fit in. In the pistons wrist pin hole.
wrist pin clips can fail,come out of their groove and then raise havoc with the piston ,cylinder wall.
these clips are really designed for a one time use meaning once installed then removed they should be replaced. Seeing that we don't have a ready available supply of these parts we reuse them so when you remove them be easy on them doing over stress or spring them. Once install properly they will spin fairly easily in the machined groove in the pistons wrist pin hole.
I do not recommend you put any kind of epoxy,jb-weld etc in the wrist pin hole to try to keep the wrist pin keeper in place. your asking for trouble if you do.
Looking at the above photos I can see the wrist pin retainer clip in place both photos look to be the same side the damage does not appear to be from a lost wrist pin unless it came off the other side of the piston.
I'm wondering if this piston lost the retaining pins for the rings can't tell in the photo as the rings are covering up the ring pin areas.
I also don't recommend you remove the piston ring retainer pins and jb-weld them back
they are a pressed in pin once you mess with them you are courting trouble.
better to replace the piston if your pins are loose or questionable.
Norman

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Also any remnants of that shrapnel sitting in that motor will find its way to your new piston and do the same thing better rinse that motor out good. I imagine kerosene would be good some one might correct me on that.

Last edited: