Anybody have luck removing head AND base gasket?

GoldenMotor.com

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
motors we've had that ran the best regardless of the mods are the ones we broke in like we stole them. 32-1 mix right from the start and wot from the moment they fired up. the ones we babied ran like turds.
LOL! Just don't try to polish those!

I agree with hard break-in. I go even further with oil mix and use same as the lawnmower and chainsaw (50:1).

If it seems to top out or run rough up there it may be the jet. After closing mine down to .65mm WOT is no longer the limit, now afraid to rev higher even with 36t sprocket.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
your running the stock manifold correct. a shorter intake will gain you more rpm's and a better response to the throttle.

motorhead419

Jul 6, 2009
ohio
Ratty, until you change the pipe that is what you'll fell. I just took off my chamber and put my gutted stock pipe back on and I feel the same thing. I changed the main jet size and it still had the rev-limiter effect. I hope this helps because you're not alone with that I need more RPM's feeling..I had the feeling and put the stock pipe back on.

ratty

Apr 17, 2009
Nashville ,TN
Thanks Motorhead, there is something holding her back. Hopefully I can get a pipe in the next couple of weeks. I took the bike for another ride tonight, and i will say that it is so much more of a pleasure to ride than before my recent mods. I was digging around my parts bin this afternoon, and I came across a #65 carb jet with 5mm threads. I put that in my carb before tonights ride just for laughs; it didnt seem to change anything but it seemed like a better quality part so its going to stay in there. My digital speedo died on me today so no speed data. I think the total ride was about 4-5 miles, and the engine ran flawlessly, still no leaks. All is well.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
I did notice one thing that I didnt mention about my ride last night. The engine pulls really well up untill a certain rpm, and the its like the power runs into a brick wall. I dont have a tach yet so I dont know the rpms, but it revs up so far and then stays there. Its not like a rev limiter, but it will only rev so high as if it would not over rev and cause damage. I cant make it spin faster. Like it gets to 6500 rpm or whatever it really is and I could run it all day like that holding the throttle WFO. I checked and the slide does open and close all the way. What is that all about? Does that make sense?
this is what i've found too. when your mods are successful it's more of a shifting of the powerband than a gain in hp, these motors drop off in power at high rpm;s, kyle and i are trying the opposite aproch of everyone else now, were going to make the intake port and transfer ports smaller, trying for a much better low end powerband so you can pull a smaller sprocket and cruise around 30 mph in the sweet spot of about 5000 rpm's. all thats on hold though untill we get the V twin done.

ratty

Apr 17, 2009
Nashville ,TN
this is what i've found too. when your mods are successful it's more of a shifting of the powerband than a gain in hp, these motors drop off in power at high rpm;s, kyle and i are trying the opposite aproch of everyone else now, were going to make the intake port and transfer ports smaller, trying for a much better low end powerband so you can pull a smaller sprocket and cruise around 30 mph in the sweet spot of about 5000 rpm's. all thats on hold though untill we get the V twin done.
So wait a minute......you guys are building a v-twin HT motor?