1st Build - Which bike? (Hybrid/Commuter)

GoldenMotor.com

benisai

May 26, 2009
US
My post is below. Anybody know how to delete these posts that messed up?

Last edited:

benisai

May 26, 2009
US
Again, another post messed up because I put a link in it ---
My post is below. Anybody know how to delete these posts that messed up?

Last edited:

benisai

May 26, 2009
US
Hi. I'm planning to get started soon on my first build. I'm looking at using the 4-stroke Skyhawk Stage III Whopper Stopper complete engine kit from Bicycle-Engines . com (the forum wouldn't let me post the link).

I'm trying to figure out what bicycle to use for the project. I'm going to be using the bike mainly to commute to work. I only live a mile or so from my workplace, so it's not a long commute by any means.

I at first considered a cruiser, specifically the Schwinn Beach Point, but I like the looks of a hybrid/commuter bike a bit more, and figured they could handle a bit rougher terrain.

I'm concerned about not being able to mount the engine on the bike I get, and would appreciate any tips on which bike to choose. If it's not a problem with fitting the engine, I'd prefer to build on a hybrid-style bicycle. My budget for the bike is on the low end -- I'd like to stay below $250 for sure. But of course I'd like a solid bike, but wouldn't mind tuning, tinkering, or replacing parts to make it a bit better.

Anybody built on any of these hybrid bikes, or have any ideas about which one to choose? Thanks!

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I'm not too sure about what a hybrid bike consists of. If you have enough room and ingenuity you can mount a HT (Chinese 2 cycle) in just about anything. You have 3 posts in now so you can post links and pictures BTW!

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I am not for sure but I think that if you go to your local Trek shop they are just about the lowest priced good quality bikes. I actually recently bought a Trek Calypso(cruiser) for my first build but I am having to have a custom engine mount made for it but no biggie. Here is a link to their dealer locater.

Trek Bicycle Corporation - Dealer Locator

Finfan is right about the chinease 2 stroke they will fil about anything but they are CHINEASE quality. The 4 stroke Honda is a much better choice for reliability and you want this for real tranpso not just a toy.

Oh yeah and for clearence for the 4 stroke just measuer the bottom of the frame where the engine mount will be. The point where there is about 6.5inches across you want about 10 or 11 inches of height clearence.

Look at this install guide from bicycle-engines.com It ought to provide you with some helpful info.

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/4-Stroke-Manual.pdf

Last edited: