Just bit the bullet!

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yes it is throttle control. I think it might be the 36 volt mine is 24volt. The watts is determined by the volts time the amps the engine pulls. If my bike used 36 volts it would use 1/3 less current I think. Ah is like the amount of fuel in a bikes gas tank. So I'm pretty lost as to how it works.

Mostly I expect it is because you pedal more than I do. My trips are mostly short, so I don't have to be too conservative, but I need to pedal more for the exercise. I need next to keep an eye out for a twenty inch bike with gears. I'm pretty sure I will go that route next.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Since we were discussing batteries, motor and pedaling, I thoight I remembered in bed last night how to even the playing field battery wise. We should figure out batteries in watt hours so that we can see which made the most difference.

So your rig has 432 watt hours. 36 volts x 12 ah
mine has 288 wh 24volts x 12 hours...

Your bike runs a 600 watt motor ....you should have ,72 max use hours.
mine runs 250 watt motor.... i should have 1.15 max hours of time.

But you probably average running yours at full throttle a lot less because full throttle is a lot stronger for your bike than mine. Plus you pedal a lot more by choice. I think that it the big difference. Throttle control....And the strength of the motor requires less full throttle to climb hills. Me running mine max throttle even on the flats would create less speed than yours.

Suppose we both ran at 15mph over the same course. To maintain that speed I would have to go max throttle 100% of the time. With your bike with over twice the power you would need to go 50% throttle to maintain the same speed. So your time would double. Your use of the battery would double to 1.44 hrs.

Now add to that the coast factor... I need to run full throttle to attain speed downhill to climb the next hill. You can coast down that same hill and in theory you are not only saving amps you are generating a little more.

I think you and I might prove that the bigger motor to a point is actually more power efficient, not just more convenient.

Last edited:

rearengine

Feb 22, 2009
Wi USA
Deacon
You mention I regen going down hill.. I don't have a regenerative motor,or battery management controller, Or do all these motors regen some ? It's pretty much a plain Jane set up .. I see no reason for a brake cut off. My thumb comes off the throttle when I put the brake on, there is a wire out of the controller for that type of brake handle though... Bill

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If you have a brake handle like that it would kill the engine in case of a runaway. Kinda like a kill switch. I hooked mine up but I never use that brake to stop. I use my coaster brake.

I think most of the brushless hub motors have some regenerative braking. MIne is a super cheapo and it has it. I know because I have run mine until it reached the shut off point and after I pedaled and went downhill with it turned off it came back some. Not a lot just enough to let me know that the batteries had added a little juice. Now add that to doing the coasting thing all the time and you would get a little extra from it.

I cut my pedal assist sensor off. but if you turn your throttle just enough to let your pedals engage you are manually doing pedal assist. I have done it and plan to do it more.