hole in rim

GoldenMotor.com

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I ordered rims from husky cycles to build my own wheels. Both rims had a flat spot when I got them. I was trying to ease out the dents with a screwdriver and hammer, and it was going fine until the screwdriver went through the rim. I honestly didnt think the metal was thin enough to poke right through. It was a flathead and it wasn't huge or anything. Will it cause problems? Should I take it to like a muffler shop and have them close up the hole? Buy a new rim?

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Is it punched through from the inside or outside. You could always grind it smooth and ignore it...after all the valve stem has a hole...make an extra

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Here is a pic. I shone a flashlight under the rim so the light would shine through the hole.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My opinion is it will be okay. But I would check it regularly to make sure it does not get worse.

If you could find someone to weld it up I think that would be the best option. But if anything I would fill it to avoid any dirt and water from getting in their.

Last edited:

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I tried to find a welder, though there are many shops near me, none are open at a time I can get there. I'm just going to fill it and keep a close eye on it. I'm not going to go jumping curbs or anything, so I think it will be Ok

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
As you can see from the pic I posted, they ground down that weld seam pretty good lol. Chinese sweat shop mfg at it's finest. So what I did was I bought some quick steel and filled in the entire weld seam. I know it won't improve the structural integrity, but my thinking is that it may help to spread the load from tire pressure and hopefully road vibrations as well. Gonna keep a good eye on it till I'm sure it's not going to get worse.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Back in the day when I used to build many motorized bicycles I always used Husky wheels. I've must have purchased close to fifty of them.

Never received wheels that looked like that. I guess they have gone down hill. What a shame...

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
The rear rim isn't as bad as the front one, the front one (pictured above) had a really bad dent, the sidewall was dented and there was a smaller dent in the corner, corner dent is where the screwdriver went through.