Killing Time

GoldenMotor.com

Zippster

Oct 8, 2008
Austin Texas
I finally broke down and bought myself the archetypical "80"cc China kit off of Zoombicycles, and then I realized that I gotta wait for UPS ground to take it all the way from British Colombia to my doorstep in Austin, Texas. That being said:

What can I do while I wait in ultimate anticipation to better prepare my bike for the coming task at hand? I ain't talking about taking it into a shop or anything, but more along the lines of regreasing the chains, adjusting brakes, etc. All that I've managed to do since I pulled the thing down was add a under-seat road kit and a tail light, and I plan on giving the whole thing a run down with a wet rag, but aside from that I don't know what to do to be productive.

I'm sure all you guys have had to go through this before at least once, so what useful things did you do to better preapre yourself and ultimately just kill time?

scratg <<< without the engine

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Grease the wheel bearing with bearing grease (most just have oil in there) balance your wheels with some stick on golf club weights, and true them up while you're at it.
Check the spokes too.
Zip tie each set of spoke at the "X".

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Definitely regrease your bearings. The only bummer to that is you'll probably need to buy a couple cone wrenches. But it makes a HUGE difference.

I would also replace your brake pads and cables, and adjust your brakes so they can stop you in your tracks.

Make sure everything on the bike is adjusted properly and all nuts are secure.

I agree with Joe on the spokes stuff, but you might have to true the rear wheel again after the sprocket is on. (speaking of which, I should really true my wheels one of these days...)

Zippster

Oct 8, 2008
Austin Texas
The last time I rode my bike was back from the Austin community bike shop, where I specefically had greased the bearings - thats convenient. I've already been working on the brakes, I cleaned the rims and filed the pads a bit for a better surface, but they worked well and continue to do so.

What is the point of ziptying the spokes? Do I tie both sets of spokes on both wheels, or only where the sprocket will attach?

Thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The zip ties stiffen the wheel up considerably. Do both wheels, both side at the X. Do it before you add the sprocket.