On the hunt for a battery box

GoldenMotor.com

BarryT

Dec 16, 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
I've installed a 12v lighting system on one of my builds and have been on the hunt for a suitable battery box for a 7" long, 4" wide, and 3" deep, scooter battery that I have. I've been all over the web and haven't had any luck, any leads?
Thanks
Barry

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Only can show the solution I came up with, hope it sparks an idea.
as my idea came from another post I can no longer find here
inner working size 5 1/2 x 5 x 14 inches

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I used a similar SLA `12v battery for lighting for a while. I cut the top off a plastic water bottle an kept it in there. It would look better if you kept the battery in one of those aluminum bottles.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I prefer "recycling" whenever possible;

...but will resort to DIY when needful lol;

Most commercially available battery boxes are sorta one size fits none, difficult with the limited room of MB building - but you could try home & garden or marine suppliers, they've often plastic battery boxes available for small boats & lawn tractors.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I looked on ebay for a project box, the type usually used for electronics projects. I found one a little bigger than my battery, and my plan is to file slots in one end of the box so I can attach/detach the box without disconnecting the wires, and turn the box upside down and clamp it over the battery. I havent ordered the box yet, waiting to decide what to order when I get my paycheck and see what other parts I might want to order that are in stock. Also looking at a phone, so not sure what I want to do yet. but the idea is solid.

BarryT

Dec 16, 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
Many thanks for all your help on this, greaser monkey 87 saved the day by turning me on to the secret nomenclature "project box" on Ebay. Just ordered one that looks like it was made for this battery..
Thanks Again All!!

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
I put mine in a project box and drilled 2 holes on the top, attaching a nut and bolt. Inside the box, the battery is connected to the bolts. There is a wingnut on the exterior for the components to connect, also allows for easy charging!

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Russell, I like your battery box disguised as a radio very much and think you did an excellent job, I'm only curious to why you chose to disguise it. Was it for aesthetics, or as a theft deterrent? Not criticizing either way, like I said, just curious. Battery box looks great!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't use a 'box' but instead a nice little nylon bag, or pouch. It is usiversal so I can mount it to all of my bikes and I switch from one to the other and plug the battery into the wiring for each bike. Here it is hung from the back of the saddle and sissy bar on a chopper. Found it at a swap meet from a vendor who was selling backpacks, purses, fanny packs and sandals made of nylon. Holds my 12 volt, 8AH SLA battery and works well.

Tom

Attachments

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
You should try 4, 18650 ( lithium ion) cells in parallel. They hardly take up any space at all and are very inexpensive. They work good for lights. Just an idea.