Dax Friction Drive and engine powered lights?

GoldenMotor.com

Do you want a Dax Friction Drive magneto for lights?

• No, I don't want one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can make them!

• no answer/no interest

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I like my Dax Friction Drives, and I'm exploring options to get power from the running motor and drive system for 6v or 12v lights.

So far, I'm using battery powered lights with success, as I rarely ride at night, and if I do, I use a high powered digital helmet light system to couple with the bike lights.

I am very interested in development of new motor bicycling products, such as possibly a magneto powered light system for the Dax Friction Drive. The
DFD has a roller and shaft collars, on a 1/2" or 5/8" drive spindle. I think one of the drive collars could be replaced by a permanent magnet, even one of quite a large diameter if it's the outside collar being replaced, and the arms and coil could be mounted to the drive channel with machine screws.

It would be cool if a product was made just for the DFD system.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Other options I'm aware of that currently are widely available, are conventional 12v tire dynamos that clamp on the frame (about $30, usually include generic lights), and a 12v powered electric starter equipped 50cc bike/scooter engine, which should be able to power lights and/or charge a 12v battery. The engines are about $150 last I checked, from Monster Scooter website. That seems like a viable option if you were looking for an engine already. You will have to secure a battery somewhere and do your own wiring. Perhaps radioshack parts or pocketbike parts would be helpful to regulate the battery and switch on the lights. You can drill for a bracket and mount lights on the back of the DFD drive channel for tail/running light or brake light.