Washington state laws

GoldenMotor.com

eugesd

Jun 7, 2009
Does it really matter
What are the state laws on motorized bikes, i saw two of them turned off engine and avoided them. If one ever confront me i want to be sure that there not illegal
thanks

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
I did alot of research on the law for these thing in washington state. The problem is that it contradicts itself.

Technically, they are classified as a moped. It states that a moped is a vehicle with 2 or 3 wheels 16in or smaller, with no larger than a 49cc engine, pedals for propulsion and can't go any faster than 30mph. There is a change to the law coming into effect in august that makes it more ambiguous. They take out the bit about pedals, but don't state that a moped doesn't have pedals, or that it's a moped if it has pedals or not.

Then there's the bit about licensing. Part of the law makes it sound like it needs to be registered as a moped. But in another section, it states that a moped cannot be operated on the state highways if it isn't registered, which suggests that as long as you don't go on a highway, you don't need to register and license it.

I've also heard that here in spokane, the police don't really care as long as it isn't over 49cc. I heard that from a guy in town that builds them at a local bike shop, but the guy seems like a bit of an ass, so I took it with a grain of salt :).

With how screwed up the moped laws are, I'd say it largely depends on your local police.

Edit: Electric bikes get a free pass as long as it doesn't go ever 18 or 20mph, don't remember off the top of my head which, and has under a 700w motor I think. I would have to look it up again.

Last edited:

Zev0

May 18, 2009
Rio Grand Valley
Can't say about other parts of the state, but here in Ocean Park, we have 0 problems with the police, Sherrif or the state police. Most of them wave at us as we travel up and down the penninsula. We, of course wave back at them all the time. Last year there was a MB rally here in OP with about 25-30 riders from all over WA and OR and 1 came down from alaska and 1 from CA. The one from alaska rode his vehicle all the way down here from the Seattle area without a problem.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
OK, lets break down a few words here. Moped, Motor+Pedals=Moped. If it does not have pedals it is not a MOPED it is a scooter. I have weeded through the BS in Oregon and this is what I have found. In Oregon you can drive "ride" anything up to 36cc without the need for licenses, or insurance. You must wear a helmet, and if you ride at night you must have a rear and front light. As well as abiding by traffic laws. I have done everything except abide by the 36CC rule. I have a full light set up, wear my helmet, and have a quieter muffler. When they pull me over I am simply ready with the info. When they ask how big the motor is I say 36cc, they pull out their little cheat sheet and look at the numbers. It checks out on the paper and I'm free to go.

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I have ridden many miles up here in Bellingham and have had no problems with the police. I have lights, wear my helmet and don't do anything stupid. I simply obey all normal traffic laws including hand signals. I have been seen by and been followed by our local police and they don't give me a second look.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Actually I forgot a few things. It may not have any more than one gear, and your not supposed to have real clutch. If you are more informed about the laws than the officer in question they will leave you alone. Once they start saying something start giving them more info than their little cheat sheet has and they will be impressed and believe that you have abided by the rules since you are so well informed. If you start saying "I don't know how big it is" expect them to mess with you.

Last edited:

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I have had many run ins with the police I am running a schwinn OCC chopper with an 80(67)cc china motor with a clutch. I still have my bike, and like I said just act like you are fully informed and complying with all the rules. Don't be a rude SOB and cause havoc to make them look poorly apon us MB'rs and all will be well.

eugesd

Jun 7, 2009
Does it really matter
I did alot of research on the law for these thing in washington state. The problem is that it contradicts itself.

Technically, they are classified as a moped. It states that a moped is a vehicle with 2 or 3 wheels 16in or smaller, with no larger than a 49cc engine, pedals for propulsion and can't go any faster than 30mph. There is a change to the law coming into effect in august that makes it more ambiguous. They take out the bit about pedals, but don't state that a moped doesn't have pedals, or that it's a moped if it has pedals or not.

Then there's the bit about licensing. Part of the law makes it sound like it needs to be registered as a moped. But in another section, it states that a moped cannot be operated on the state highways if it isn't registered, which suggests that as long as you don't go on a highway, you don't need to register and license it.

I've also heard that here in spokane, the police don't really care as long as it isn't over 49cc. I heard that from a guy in town that builds them at a local bike shop, but the guy seems like a bit of an ass, so I took it with a grain of salt :).

With how screwed up the moped laws are, I'd say it largely depends on your local police.

Edit: Electric bikes get a free pass as long as it doesn't go ever 18 or 20mph, don't remember off the top of my head which, and has under a 700w motor I think. I would have to look it up again.
funny, i got the idea of building one from a guy who lived in Cheney

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
I figure it's probably ok to have one, and not register it as a moped in washington. The cops around here probably don't really care, unless they're bored, which in spokane has been known to happen :).

radrob

May 2, 2009
Tacoma Washington
i built my first bike 8 weeks ago. it has 500 miles of riding around tacoma between me and my friend i let borrow it for 2 weeks. my buddy got pulled over once for going 35mph on a 5 lane road. the cop just wanted to see how he could do 35 on a bicycle. so far so good. I still get nervous everytime i see one though.

Nate D

Jun 25, 2009
auburn, wa
I live in South Auburn WA and ride all the way to kent near Renton on my bike. I ride right past the police station and have many times been waiting at a stoP light with a cop car next by kind of akward. They have never bothered me, even wizzed past a few bicycle cops. I have the 80 (67)cc china girl on a front suspension shwinn hardtail MTB. No problems ever in this area. I just ride normal and follow the law.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
WA cops have real stuff to worry about. Plus as long as you are less than "49cc", carry a license, don't make too much noise or smoke, and keep below the speed limit, you are legal.

Ari Kohain

Sep 16, 2009
Everett,Washington
I live and ride around Granite Falls Wa. and have never had any problems. The police tend to wave and smile. One of the local guys asked me about building one for him. Like the rest of these good people I recommend that you obey the traffic laws,etc.. but the most helpfull advice I can give is to just act like an adult in the way you ride as well as the way you act if "pulled over".Oh and a support your local police sticker that is prominant in placement doesn't hurt either.

stingray13

May 31, 2009
arkadelphia, AR
in china they are called 80cc motorized bike engines, but in america they are considered 66cc. In my town you must wear a helmet, have no more than one gear, and have lights for night time use. Also it must be under 49cc and you will need no license or insurance. If it is over you have to get front light, rear light, turning signals (i hust use my arms), and mirrors + a motorcycle permit that you can get as long as you are over the age of 14 and will allow you to get up to 250cc. I have a 80cc schwinn stingray chopper, with custom pipe, and lots of fabricated parts/ different handlebars. I am willing to sell this bike with all parts taken off, and parts not used in the kit and everything installed on the bike for 275 dollars. i have had this bike since june 16, 2009 and when i bought it i was 13, but now im 14 and i have grown 6inches and want to upgrade to a 250cc honda rebel. If you want to buy this bike please reply, and we will work out a way to buy it. Just trying to save up some money to buy the honda rebel....
this .shft. to this.trk (minus the peddles

thanks, stingray13

Nate D

Jun 25, 2009
auburn, wa
Here is my input which I hope can help. In the summer I ride mine 2-3 times a week and ride it to work which is about 20 miles each way. I ride in the Auburn, Kent, Tukwilla, Pacific, and Algona area. I have ridden by patrol cars, police bikes, past Auburn, Kent, and Algona police station, Have been directly behind a police car, and directly in front of a police car in traffic and at a light. I have never had any trouble on my shwinn bike. Luckily the police in this area are good people and do not want to bother us as long as we obey the rules, be polite if ever stopped and know your stuff like mentioned above. Give police men and woman the impression that motorized bicycle riders are law obiding, polite and make them want to just leave us alone. Sound good? :)

captzuzu

Jan 29, 2013
New Mexico
I live in lakebay outside of gigharbor we have a special cop here that loves giving people the business so im registering my bike so after he stops me a few times and he will he will leave me alone its sad they took the bus rout away to cut city budget and its 10 miles to the naerest bus stop alot of folks walking out of here pretty ruff.

Last edited: