Salem Oregon Motorized bicycle club meeting

GoldenMotor.com

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
Well the motorbicyclers in Oregon's Willamette Valley had the first meeting of the Salem Motorized Bicycle Club. We met at "The Clockworks Cafe" in Salem. It looks like we will continue to meet here on the Second Sunday of each month. There were 4 rider/builders at the first get together. Hopefully as soon as the weather improves we can ride to the cafe and have some group rides in the area. We had a great time getting to know each other and swapping stories and questions. Anyone is welocme to come join us for our next meeting Febuary 13 at the "clockworks Cafe" 241 Commercial St. in Salem OR. I hope to see more Oregon riders soon..bld.

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
The Salem MB club had our second meeting recently. There were 6 of us at this get together we started to plan our first group ride which will be some weekend in march or April as soon as the weather will permit and we can get it together. We do live in the land O' rain so as soon as we get dry roads and sun we will be riding from Jefferson to Crabtree Oregon and back on Oregon country backroads. I think we are all looking forward to it. Anyone is welcome so watch for details or contact one of usbrnot if you would like details. brnot

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
Re: Salem Oregon Motorized Bicycle Club Spring Ride April 17

The Salem Motorized Bicycle Club will be having our first spring ride on Sunday April 17, riding from Jefferson Oregon to Crabtree Oregon and return. We are all hoping that the weather will improve before then so we can have a dry ride. Several club members are building furiously to complete new rides for spring. You can see their progress on our Facebook page "Salem Motorized Bicycle Club" We will meet in downtown Jefferson Oregon for the ride. We will post parking details as the event gets closer. Anyone is welcome to come join us, in fact we'd really like to meet some riders from other parts of Oregon so come on down and ride. .rd.

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
We are still active and we try to ride about once a month in the summers. There are 6 of us in the SAlem area and usually 3 from protland come down to ride with us since we have such nice farm roads to ride on. PLease check our facebook page at; Salem Motorized Bicycle club to get in touch and see when our next ride/meeting is. There are also videos of recent rides on the site. Hope to see you.dnut

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
Actually its 49cc, I know cuz I am the only guy in the club with plates and insurance. Boy was it a hassle to get DMV to give me a VIN, Title and registration. But I was persistant and successful. We usually ride in the countryside like out by Jefferson Scio or Independance so we never get hassled by the man. But I ride right through downtown Salem a lot and the cops here would love to hand out some tickets to make $$$. In Portland they have to much real crime so they ignor the motorbicyclers; here they need money so I went through the hassle of getting tags and insurance. I never get hassled but they do give me the evil eye and they have run my tags before. I don't worry I am 100% legal. No one else in the club other than a whizzer rider has got tags. whizzers are 110 cc and you need a MC endorsement on your liciense as well. I run a 66cc now I had a 49cc when I got my tags. Just take all the labels off and they will never be able to tell what size it is at DMV or in a traffic stop.

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
Bob: I can imagine it is a hassle doing the VIN inspection and paying for registration. Did they require you to have working head, tail and turn signal lights? I have an MC endorsement, as I used to fool around on a Honda Ruckus. If I get one of these babies built, I may drive all the way up for a ride with you guys.

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
Yes I had to fabricate a complete electrical system with turns , tail head lt etc. plus a lighted speedo and appropriate mirrors etc. I did not have to have an MC endorsment as it is registered as a moped 49cc or less. SInce the magneto cannot power much besides the ingnition I made a battery operated 12v system with a battery under my seat. I just use a wall wart to charge it in the evenings after a ride. It will work for about a week with no recharging depending on how much night driving I do. Oh it was a big damn hassle but it is worth seeing the dejected look on officer Oppie's face when I hand him a registration and insurance card. It just takes all the fun out of stopping me. Ha!dance1

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
Bob, I can imagine how satisfying that was!
Can you go to LED lighting to reduce power consumption enough to avoid the 12-volt system? Hmmm, a lighted speedometer too eh? Is there a specific list somewhere of equipment needed to qualify an motorized bicycle for registration?
To the Salem Club members : apologize for thread hijack!

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
The little magneto just does not have much power for lights beyond the juice needed for a spark(maybe 500ma), I do use some LEDs but I wanted bright turns, tail and brake lights so I switched out the 6v bulbs and went 12v works great. There is a list somewhere on the DMV site, start by looking at Moped rules, I think it is the same required equipmnet as for an MC. Yes even a lighted speedo. It is not a problem for a 12v system since it will last most of a week even riding to work before dawn each day. I have a 5 amp hour battery under my seat its tiny but works good. I actually need to fix some stuff after the last ride I lost a turn signal from metal fatigue that I need to fix. Most of the forms for DMV are available online but one you have to call and get them to mail to you. I don't remeber which one.