Lots of contradictions in OK law

GoldenMotor.com

JTalley

Jan 9, 2012
Sulphur, Oklahoma
I've been looking up Oklahoma's law on these bikes... One official court website claims it has to be 150cc or less... My kit has a 66cc, and my project is about 35cc, so I'm good there... BUT other court documents say 50cc, meaning the kit has to be tagged?

Also, both sources require an automatic transmission. I'm kinda unsure about that. Does that mean that both the kit (manual clutch) and the project (friction drive) have to be tagged because of that?

I'm just really confused about all these laws, and there's no way I can afford a ticket right now, nor do I want that on my driving record.
Can someone explain all this?

JTalley

Jan 9, 2012
Sulphur, Oklahoma
Found a bunch of stuff.

C. A motorized bicycle is any bicycle having:

1. Fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power;

2. An automatic transmission; and

3. A combustion engine with a piston or rotor displacement of one hundred fifty cubic centimeters (150 cu cm) or less, regardless of the number of chambers in the engine, which is capable of propelling the bicycle at a maximum design speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground.

D. As used in this title, the term "bicycle" shall include tricycles, quadcycles, or similar human-powered devices, electric-assisted bicycles, and motorized bicycles unless otherwise specifically indicated.
This is from OSCN.net- the Oklahoma State Courts Network. Oklahoma Statutues Citationized, Title 47, Chapter 1, Section 1-104

This, it turns out, replaced the 50cc law about a year or two back. What about the manual clutch, though? Does that make it illegal?

Last edited:

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
It`s funny you bring up this statute. We are having it changed as we speak. We have a legislator addressing a change in the statute. It will remove the transmission clause and the cc number will be 80cc or less.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
No there is nothing else to do. We are hoping that the legislator gets the changes made for us. It will make the statute more clear and easier for law enforcement to understand exactly what a motorized bicycle really is. They think every one of them is nothing more than a Moped. That is not necessarily true. A Mopeds primary source of power is the motor and the secondary source is the pedals if the motor wont run. Our bikes primary source is the pedals and the secondary is the motor. A Moped is built entirely around a motor and a bike is built around the pedals and the motor is an add-on. That is what we are trying to get into their heads. We are trying to get them to have people buy tags only if the bike is over 80cc. Anything under that and still has pedals as a main source of power has no tag requirements. Hope it all works out.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
How's that law change coming Don? I would like to upgrade to a bigger motor and woul like to get the harbor freight 99cc predator. If the law has been changed I will be forced to find a HF 79cc engine.

Ready to GOOO!!