1st annual motorized bicycle Iron Butt Ride (Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek/return

GoldenMotor.com

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Anybody interested in joining me on an entire days worth of riding on an old railroad route between Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek via Gold Camp road? This is a beautiful and very scenic ride (please click on links below).

http://www.takemytrip.com/colo/79a.htm

http://stevegarufi.com/mounthermanroad.htm

I'm thinking the last weekend in May would be the ideal time for this ride.

Short Route: Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek, lunch at a local restaurant, and return via a buddy/wife/GF etc.. picking you up in a vehicle.

Long Route: Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek via gold camp road (30 miles), followed by lunch, the return via Cripple creek to Woodland Park,(26 mile leg) at Woodland Park about 4 miles to Rampart Range road (dirt road) and about 25 miles return to Monuemnet via Mount Herman Road, return Santa Fe trail to Colorado Springs (25 miles) or ride to my house (9 mies) for ride back to original starting point. Plan on 75-100 miles. Time depends on the slowest rider, average speed varied between 8-12 mph with many stops to take pictures, take side adventures (none planned for this trip), and stop for snacks or unexpected repairs. If possible, faster would be better.

Suggested gear:
1. Shifter kit bike with gearing to power through first 4 miles of GC road that has a fair amount of loose sand. Shifter bike geared sufficiently to climb steep hills at 9000 ft AGL
Alternate: 48 or 50 tooth single speed sprocket with a good running engine (assuming you are using happy time motor). I have about a dozen 48 tooth sprockets and rag clamps that I can give away free to anyone who desires one.

2. Bike with at least a front suspension....not needed but desirable.

3. Backpack with following:
a. Spare fuel. I have two fuel tanks (one in front and a rack mounted one). You can also carry a 32 oz container of Trufuel available from Walfart or Home Despot. Refueling at cripple creek, woodland park should be sufficent for most.

b. Tools and spare parts/equipment. Spare tire tube, air pump, chain links etc..

c. Snacks/food, water (I also carry a water filtration device), extra clothing (I carry survival blanket too), 1st aid kit, and some basic supplies if you break down and get stuck overnight.

4. Iron butt (see http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm for tips). <--no spandex allowed ;-)

Start time: 7:00 am or sooner if agreed upon by all who decide to join. Sooner is better to avoid hikers and mountain bikers which infest the first 4-5 miles of the road.

Last edited:

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Re: 1st annual motorized bicycle Iron Butt Ride (Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek

I've got one person to join me. Anyone else interested?

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
Re: 1st annual motorized bicycle Iron Butt Ride (Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek

are you talking about the 25th through 27 th ive got work i have the first weekend off in june though either way have fun take lots of pics i will call my freind up today and see if he can do it hes got a 99cc predator made just for climbing that run .