Interesting Spark Plug Failure

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I was out testing out a new build, and as I am riding, the engine power starts to drop off, and I am finding that I need to feather the throttle in order to accelerate.
I look the the ignition wiring, and it looks funny, looks like the spark plug became 'taller'.
Here's what happened:

The engine still managed to start right up with no problem, even though the electrode was a mile up into the insulator!

Spark plug is a JIXIN Z4C.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I've had some that the electrode came off and down into the cylinder. It happens, BUT I've never had one happen that was a NGK, AC, or Autolight. That's what you get with cheap c^^^.

Those are the kind I use to make a air chuck for applying pressure to a cylinder. At least you know you have stout electronics to produce a spark to ignite the fuel. :>)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, I haven't seen it for many years but my partner and I had it happen to a small block Chevy running on alcohol in a drag race car. On every run, just about half way down the 1/4 mile the engine would start misfiring through one stack. We watched closely and saw it was cylinder # 4 that was the culprit; you could see the raw vapors from the exhaust. The electrode was doing exactly what yours did. The center electrode was loose in the porcelain and would 'ride up' and kill that cylinder. We found it when we started to pull the plug wire and the electrode came up with the boot.

Keep it as a souvenir but install a new plug. It can't be fixed.
Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That's a pretty cool souvenir!
I have dealt with one where the center electrode came down out of the porcelain but thankfully the ground electrode prevented it from dropping into the cylinder.
Never have I seen one come apart like yours did!