solution for problems with electronics on motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Ari Kohain

Sep 16, 2009
Everett,Washington
I have noticed that alot of people have problems with signal interferance when they mount electronics on their mb"s. Here is a solution that.trk(^) should end these problems. All engines create an electromagnetic field when they are running, this field will interfere with any electronics withen range of this field. The solution is quite simple, Shield the ignition. This can be accomplished by the purchase of shielded plug wire and cap, and isolating the cdi from the frame with a small piece of lead sheeting between the cdi and the frame. This solution has worked for me with a number of small engine vehicles that I have run throughout the years, I even have a paramotor that would interfere with every device placed near it when running. gps, radios, even the ipod. Once shielded all electronics now function properly and it only cost a few dollars for each vehicles refit. The only other solution is to shop around till you find electronics that are not affected by your engines particular frequency,then as soon as you change magneto or cdi you may be hunting for new electronics again as the em field will change as soon as the components change. I hope this is a help to some of you out there. Keep the rubber side down and the hair in the air, and please always remember to ride safe and sane,

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Re: solution for problems with electronics on mbs

That sounds good, I keep seeing posts about lead sheet. What kind of store carries it? Is there different thicknesses. I have never heard of or seen it before.

Ari Kohain

Sep 16, 2009
Everett,Washington

Most hobby stores should have it in small sizes quite large enough to handle the job. If not a scrap metal yard or hardware stores. Comes in various sizes and thicknesses but it need only be thick enough to isolate the cdi from the frame. Yet if you dont use shielded plug wire and cap would probably be a wasted effort.

jats

Mar 13, 2012
oregon

what about ferrite insulators to break up the hall effect?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

I'm not understanding your theory about the lead. Lead will conduct electricity so it can not "isolate" the CDI from the frame. It's not a very good conductor and maybe that's what accounts for your success, nevertheless, the CDI case is plastic and therefore a non-conductor itself.

There are ways to shield electronics from the RF produced by the ignition system such as keeping the electronics as far away from the ignition components as possible and some have had success by running resistance plugs and wire.

I'd like to hear a little more explanation about your lead theory.

Tom

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX

Jats dug up a 2 year old zombie. Looks like the OP has not been on since 2009, hopefully he did not succumb to lead poisoning ;)

jats

Mar 13, 2012
oregon

lol guess i should check dates. what is your opinion on the topic i have 1 light turn signal kit works good on my 49cc but the one on my 66cc the signals will not work when its running the xtra kit i have when you move it about 8 inches from the running bike the turn signals stop on it to. tried grounding the black wire from the mag to the frame but that only helped a small amount. any ideas?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

LOL, you're right. I didn't check the date of the original post either. The OP hasn't posted for two years. That's a strike against me, for sure.

Anyway, my question still stands. What's the lead for? :) Maybe he'll check back some day and tell me.

Tom

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX

Placebo effect? lol. I think he was looking to shield the RF from the CDI, but I would think a small strip of lead between the CDI and frame would be pretty ineffective.

Unfortunately Jats, I have no answer for you since I do have any electronics on by bike yet. I tried installing a wired bike computer yesterday, but the one I got had an arrangement that I could not get to work well with my springer fork, so going to try and replace it with a unit with a smaller magnet.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Old thread but it's a subject that pops up frequently so no harm done.

As far as the electronic speedos available, especially the cheaper Schwinn and Bell units, I've found that placement of the magnet and the pickup is critical. If you look closely at the pickup you'll see a little arrow molded into the plastic. That arrow must align perfectly with the magnet attached to the spokes. The closer you can get the two parts the better the speedometer will function. I try to keep the air gap between them less than 1/8".

Tom

jats

Mar 13, 2012
oregon

its for my light brake turn signal kit the flashers will not work when the motor is running am going to try and replace the plug wire i guess it just threads in to the cdi? at least thats what i believe I have read. failing that go to a resister cap/plug? the funny part is i do not have the problem on 1 bike but due on the other. i also have a couple ferrite insulators have grounded motor to frame and black wire to frame also

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY

This is most likely a vibration issue, not an interference issue. The spark plug cap is a resistor type.

jats

Mar 13, 2012
oregon

when the bike is running in my bicycle rack and i bring a second turn signal kit with in 5-6 inches of the ignition/ spark plug area it stops the turn signals from working to. its not attacked to the bike but there is on major difference between the 2 bikes the one that dose not have the problem has an old school generator head light hooked to the blue wire and self grounds to the frame am heading out to the shop now to try another generator light on the one with the problem am thinking that its the resistance of the light bulb that is breaking up the EM field by shunting it through the light will let you guys know

T

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

The directional light circuit is probably solid state. That's why the ignition RF is messing with it.

Tom

jats

Mar 13, 2012
oregon

ok the resister plug fixed it, put in a NGK BR6HS. bike runs great on the test ride but planning on going for a ride and checking the plug color ETC. thanks for the threads and help!

T