My Goal

GoldenMotor.com

PureWirez

Mar 30, 2012
Nebraska, USA
so, I Have a fairly simple weed wacker I'm just waiting to attatch to my bike, but I've already begun the upgrading process in my mind for the chain driven system I want. my bike is a 2011 Trek 820, and while I put 2000 miles on it last year without a motor, I'm looking to efficiently triple that this year. I'm planning on getting just a simple Honda GXH50, it seems like a good investment for the money. I havent decided if I will to anything more than a simple gear down to my back tire just yet. I'm mounting the engine into the frame (and yes I've triple checked the dimensions, so at worst I'll have to get creative with the mounting.) Don't have anything yet, I'll probably post a picture of my actuall bike once I get the friction system on it, but this is bascally it

(EDIT: for some reason I thought I had a trek 8000, but its a Trek 820)

Last edited:

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I am confused. Are you putting a weedwacker engine on the bike, or a honda friction drive? you mentioned both in your op. you also mentioned a chain drive system as well as a gear to your back tire which would indicate the use of a friction drive. so which is it?

PureWirez

Mar 30, 2012
Nebraska, USA
I threw a friction drive together but I started wanting to put something more substantial and powerfull on it when I began to mount it on. But yeah, so far it'll just be the engine with a centrifugal clutch and a couple sprockets. I might get a gearbox later and modify the engine for more power. My overall goal will to be to make the 45 mile trip between Lincoln and omaha with ease.

PureWirez

Mar 30, 2012
Nebraska, USA
The only thing i haven't gotten figured out is all the supplies recquired for a pedal assisted engine. I want something simple, single gear with a throttle. I think i've just got too much new info in my head right now. So, I'm assuming I need afree whee kit for my back tire, a centrifugal clutch for the engine, and sprockets wuth the correct gear ratio in mind. Am I missing something or comepletely wrong here?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
So, I'm assuming I need afree whee kit for my back tire, a centrifugal clutch for the engine, and sprockets wuth the correct gear ratio in mind. Am I missing something or comepletely wrong here?
Your idea works with a mini bike with tiny wheels but ....

You need a jack shaft or gearbox to get enough gear reduction to the
back wheel for a 4 stroke setup like a Honda 50 cc with 26" wheels.

A lot of 4 stroke info on this site so start reading the 4 stroke engine forum. :)

There is a good 3 ratio gear calculator available to help you out too.

PureWirez

Mar 30, 2012
Nebraska, USA
I'm just going to buy a kit. With the addition of everything I would need onto of the engine itself this doesn't seem to be a great idea at my experience level.

Last edited:

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I've wanted to motorize that bike before. Steel frame seems solid and it looks good.
Although Personally if I did a new build on that bike I would..

Replace the throttle, boot+wire, spark plug, rear wheel, tensioner, exhaust, gas tank, fuel filter, valve, and take apart the top end.

But that's just me. If I was gonna make a daily rider that is.

PureWirez

Mar 30, 2012
Nebraska, USA
The frame is solid and actually has predrilled accessory holes the I can use for mounting. Any advice you guys have is welcome, you really think the back wheel needs replacing though? These things are solid, incredibly so actually. Would you want something lighter or just more space to work with?

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
It's probably just fine. Im just a pessimist with the kits. I think you're better off clamping to the frame but im not sure, maybe it would work out with no problem.
there's a fair amount to learn about these engines or kits. I'd say the most important may be to either get rid of the tensioner or keep a close eye on it. They're known for falling into the spokes of your rear wheel while you're riding.
I think Al. Fisherman has a great write up that if you follow it you'll have a great reliable bike. can't find it right now though, phones are clumsy.

PureWirez

Mar 30, 2012
Nebraska, USA
Oh, I thought you meant replace the rear wheel of the bike, but everything stock on the bike is top notch. I got hit by a truck while riding it and the only thing that scratched was my elbow.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I wouldn't know what to do if that happened to me. Anyway, a weed wacker will work but those use pretty darn small engines. If anything, they are typically mounted as a rear rack.
If you plan on commuting on the bike, you can do that but it'll only provide you with pedal assistance. I don't think a weedwacker will pull you without assistance. Not above 10mph at least. Idk what the cc is on yours in particular though.

Have you looked into the happy time engine kits? They can give you a solid grasp on how to build up your bike succesfully and then upgrade the parts from their. My bike has been running great. I would like more power, but all I need is to tune my carb and put a expansion chamber and I'm sure it'd get to 30-35

My personal opinion on building a daily commuter would be to use either a known reliable 2 stroke like a tanaka engine or a morini(thatsdax.com gp50 works too). That's not to say the china kit engines can't be reliable, they are a luck of the draw in most cases. Again, you can make them reliable but they won't be that way out of the box unless you're lucky.
If you do end up building up your bike, I'll be very curious as to how it turns out. Keep the camera handy :D

PureWirez

Mar 30, 2012
Nebraska, USA
Ok, so I just got another job after too long without one. Anyways, if I get good advice on the parts. I'm willing to piece by piece custom fit this, i'm very mechanicy intuitive, and can build or fix anything with proper parts, in short, I dont want to kit because of the hassle of replacement parts and worry about what vrwaks down firt. Tell me how you would do it(in lamens enough, not a motor junkie) and I will review, analyze and custom to your cumulative desires. I try not to dissapoint.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I think you need to start with deciding what engine you want. I don't have experience with anything but the china girl right now so I probably couldn't help much with any other motor and how to mount it.