Florida Riders: Step Up To The Plate

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Below is a response from the American Motorcycle Association, or AMA. I had asked for some assistance because of what is going on here in Florida. I also mentioned that some of us were interested in forming a national organization.

Some of what he said we have seen but there is also some very good information. I will be getting back to him with more to the point information.

Terry

Dear Mr. McGee:

Thank you for using the “Contact Us” feature at American Motorcyclist Association to inquire about assistance in forming a national organization for motorized bicyclists.

Perhaps the first issue to address is the cause of the police action against those riding motorized bicycles in Florida. What are the police issuing citations for – equipment violations, licensing and/or registration, and/or moving violations? Why are the citations being dismissed in court?

Florida Statutes (see Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine) contain numerous references to “motorized bicycles” (316.003 (2)) and “mopeds” (316.003 (77)) – is there an issue with home-built units not conforming to the definition, particularly with regard to the engine/motor type or size?

From the Florida Statutes, 316.003:

(2) Bicycle. --Every vehicle propelled solely by human power, and every motorized bicycle propelled by a combination of human power and an electric helper motor capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on level ground upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels. The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position or a scooter or similar device. No person under the age of 16 may operate or ride upon a motorized bicycle.

(77) Moped. --Any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels; with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground; and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.

Forming a national organization to address motorized bicycle issues is an admirable goal, if the members of the forum are willing to do what it takes to make the organization successful.

My first suggestion is a thorough search for any existing organizations, be they local, state, national or foreign, which work on motorized bicycle issues already. Don’t ignore overseas groups, as they may have already dealt with issues you are interested in.

Whether or not you locate any such groups or organizations, you and the other forum members should compile a (short) list of the issues you’d like to take on in Florida. You mentioned changing Florida law – what area(s) do you have in mind? I’d suggest not taking on too much to start with – focus on the most pressing issue. If it’s equipment related, you need to research all applicable state statutes and federal regulations with regard to vehicles used on public roadways. You may find there are vehicle standards that must be met at the state and/or federal level for motorized bicycles that you can’t achieve.

If the central issue is licensing and/or registration, you’ll find it/them to be strictly a state issue. Compare Florida’s requirements to other states and try to locate the differences that work in your favor.

I’m not sure there is a single reference I can point you to regarding the actual “how to’s” of forming a national organization. Most national groups, such as the AMA and the League of American Bicyclists (LAB; see League of American Bicyclists * Home), draw their strength and membership from individuals and local- and state-wide groups of dedicated riders.

If you provide more background on the reasons for and types of citations you mentioned, I’ll try to assist you further with suggestions.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Mr. Imre F. Szauter

Government Affairs Manager

American Motorcyclist Association

13515 Yarmouth Drive

Pickerington, OH 43147-8214

1 (800) AMA-JOIN

1 (614) 856-1900, ext. 1125

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i just came back from the tax collector.( i have a little crush on the lady there.)
she said that they called our county sheriff. (highlands county)
the sheriff said they don't have an issue with the moto/bikes.
i will call myself to doable check.
she also told me if the engine or gas tank or something had a serial# that is individual to that item, she can try & use that as the VIN.

i have to try & dig up the original side peices to my engine & see if it has a serial#. then i have to figure out if it can be Id on what cc it is.

she said they were all talking about it in the office & they really think they should be legal.
she also looked up "motorised bike" & came up with those articles that have been put up in the newspapers.

even though we have been bickering, we all have made some positive steps together.

it looks like we even could get both of the things we want.
bike w/o DL & people that want to register their bikes as mopeds.

IamTheBear

Oct 6, 2010
north florida
All this seems to be great strides by finding the right people to talk to. Sadly the AMA has only asked to do what we already planned on, find what items we would like to change, and make progressive steps for that goal. It would seem things are working more in our favor at the moment. Deco when you speak with your sheriff let us know what happens and also how you posed the questions and comments to him.
Fulltimer: i'm still going to the show see you saturday

Arnett Motor Bikes

Apr 23, 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Fl
i am pretty sure that is what's going on. the office of Rep Matt Gaetz told me that the bill is being constructed now and the changes are going to the house to be approved and then sent to Gov Scott for signature in to law. What I did on my end is I sent an email to Gov Scott's office requesting the bill be passed into law to allow for the gas powered bicycles. What I ask of everyone on here from Florida is to do the same thing. The more people that write him showing interest in having the gas powered bicycles might help our cause. Here is the link to contact him.
Florida Governor Rick Scott - Email the Governor
This is how we lobby to make this happen, by contacting the law makers directly and voicing our concern. Let's make this happen. It will take everyone on here less time to write and send this email then it would to get your kids into bed at night. Also find your local district rep and email them. here is the list of reps in the state.
Florida House of Representatives - Representatives
if you know where their office is located, take time to go over and talk with them on the issue. These are the things I have been doing for the last couple of months and it seems to be working. The time couldn't be more right for all of us to contact them, when they are constructing the bill. Remeber one thing!! There are only 120 Reps in the state of Florida and there is almost 19 million people that live and work in Florida. We out number them so our voice will be louder in numbers if we act now. With the day and age of computers this will be the fastest way to get our voice heard by the law makers. I do hope you all join me in the pursuit.