Road Rules and Regulations on Motorized Bikes in California Clarification.

GoldenMotor.com

BranLaz

Sep 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
So.... Theres been alot of mixed information about motorized bikes... Just want to make sure im right...

Now according to California Highway Patrol:
They require an M1/M2 permit...

Motorized Vehicles

Now. Im the type of guy that will just turn off the engine if I see a cop drive by and frankly cops tend to pull me over for random shyt in my car.

But, luckily I havent been harassed by the cops yet with my motorized bike...

BUT, Main thing is I want to make sure I have all my stuff ready for WHEN a cop pulls me over so I can throw it back in his face.

Thanks!!!

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
1st a bad tude will get you just that. he's allready got you pulled over. bairdco has gone through this stuff. at least head,tail,brake light, mirror, ca plate helmet m-1/2 and last but not least a smile [sometimes goes a long way] good luck

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I'll repost what I already wrote in another thread.

If you want to legally ride a motorized bike in California and avoid the attention of cops, here's what you need:

- Headlight with high beams. I doubt anybody will look for this, so a normal headlight will probably do, especially if you just ride during the day.
- Tail-light.
- At least one mirror on the left side.
- The bike must be registered. Look up the motorized bicycle registration form on the DMV website. It's easy.
- At least an M1 or M2 permit. Just look up the practice questions on the DMV website, go through the motorcycle handbook, and you're good to go for the written test.
- DOT approved helmet. Get a license if you want to ride at night(HOWEVER, because of a technicality, you'd have to take the road test with an actual motorcycle and not with your motorized bicycle).
- Horn. You can either just stick a normal bike horn on(which kinda stinks), or if you want a horn that really works you can get one of those air-horns you bring to ball games and keep it handy.
- Brakelight

You don't need the following:

- Insurance. Nowhere in the rules and impossible to get anyhow. Your bike isn't going to cause any serious damage to anything else.
- Turn signals. Nowhere in the rules.
- License plate. HOWEVER, I highly recommend putting the license plate on your bike. You'll look more legit and the cops will be less likely to pull you over. Consider this optional but recommended.

You are allowed to:
- Ride on any roads that aren't freeways or highways.
- Ride in either the normal traffic lanes or in bicycle lanes when they are available.

You are NOT allowed to:
- Ride on freeways or highways. Highways can be debatable though if you are on a highway passing through a neighborhood you live in or near.
- Ride on sidewalks.
- Travel over 30 mph.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the main things are the DOT helmet, plate, and M2 license. if you're caught by an a hole cop, he can impound your bike, as well as give you a hefty ticket.

all the rest are equipment violations, which are just fix-it tickets, and he can't (legally) impound your bike.

only one of my bikes has a brakelight, none of them have horns, and i rarely get pulled over, even after passing cops while riding with traffic at 40+. when i have been pulled over, it's either to check out my bike, or just so the cop has something to do.

i've only been ticketed in Newport Beach, on a new bike, with no plate, skateboard helmet, and no M2. got everything legal and paid $75 court fees instead of $400 fine.

i see people everyday with no helmets, plates, lights, etc... who say they never get hassled, but all it takes is one cop having a bad day to ruin yours.

depends a lot on how you're riding, your atitude when pulled over, and the city you live in as to what's gonna happen with the cops.

just stay out of Newport unless you're 100% legal.