law in New Hampshire

GoldenMotor.com

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
Can anyone give me some input on New Hampshire on the pedal asst Law !!!! last i new ,,, no lic no reg. is that still true in New Hamshire !!!!! i had a cop pull me over the other day too check out my bike, he though it was neat !!!!! but he asked if i needed a plate i said know he said to check again !!!!!!! i told him its pedal asst..... and last time i check N.H. law was no lic no reg!!!! i road all last year going by cops ,,,, and you always get that one cop that thinks he knows all the laws i told him have a nice day and road off !!!!.rd.

Attachments

Last edited:

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Last I knew was you did need a valid drivers license for anything with a motor, no reg or plates for anything less than 50cc. But that info was based on my buddy's run in with the popo on his moped a few years ago.

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
Last I knew was you did need a valid drivers license for anything with a motor, no reg or plates for anything less than 50cc. But that info was based on my buddy's run in with the popo on his moped a few years ago.
yeah weel thats a moped !!!!!! i check with concord the other day no lic no reg pedal assist law in N. H. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dance1

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
As i and a couple of other people found out this past weekend. if it has a motor it needs a registration. 2 out of the 4 people i was with got tickets for no registration, @ Hampton Beach area

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I have been scouring the NH law for details, All I can find is requirements for mopeds and motorcylces, but I did find a statute that clearly defines a "motor Driven cycle" but no laws pertaining to the definition. I did see somewhere else on line that there is a $3 registration, but I still have no definite answers.

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
As i and a couple of other people found out this past weekend. if it has a motor it needs a registration. 2 out of the 4 people i was with got tickets for no registration, @ Hampton Beach area
sorry too here that !!! fight it in court!!!! there is no reg. no lic. requiered in N.H.

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
it is not classified as a moped, if it can be man powered, So no you do not have to register that as it is not something we would register. You willneed to abide by the laws of a bicycle... i hope ths
answers if you have any futher questions let me know. Sincerely, Valerie Lamarre
Registration Bureau
23 Hazen Dr.
Concord N.H. 03305
603-271-2251 i carry a copy with me so the police can know the law which more then half DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John in Swanzey N.H. gas bicycle motors Home

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Just got this e-mail back today from the State DMV:

My Email:
What are the registration requirements for a mountain bike with a small motor attached? All I can find in the on line RSAs is the definition of a "motor-driven-cycle" but I canfind no information as to registration requirements. Any info in this area would be helpful.

Thanks,
Brent

The Response:

Brent,

NH does not register motor driven cycles, in terms of registration they are treated like a regular bicycle and are not registered. You will need to follow the same rules of the road for a bicycle. I hope this answers your questions, if you have further questions please let me know.

Sincerely,

Valerie Lamarre

Registration Dept.

23 Hazen Dr

Concord NH 03305

603-271-2251

Reactions: Dan

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
So you guys that got nailed fight it in court. Here is the official definition of a "Motor-Driven Cycle":

Section 259:65
259:65 Motor-driven Cycle. – ""Motor-driven cycle'' shall mean any motorcycle or motor scooter with a motor which produces not to exceed 5 horse-power, and any bicycle with motor attached, but not including mopeds.

Source. RSA 259:1, XIV-a. 1967, 415:3. 1976, 4:6. 1981, 146:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982.

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
everything above is true but it also fits the defination of a moped
"259:57 Moped. – ""Moped'' shall mean a motor-driven cycle whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less which is equipped with a motor that produces 2 brake horse power or less; if an internal combustion engine is used, the piston displacement shall not exceed 50 cubic centimeters and the power-drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.
Source. RSA 259:1, XIII-a. 1976, 4:4. 1977, 272:1. 1981, 146:1. 1983, 147:1, eff. Aug. 6, 1983."

at least my 2 stroke motor fills these requirements. don't mean for you to stop driving ride away just pointing it out from a jealous massachusetts motorbike rider. mabey i'll take my bike into the great granite state one day i like less than a mile from the border. oh well "live free or die"
chris

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
So you guys that got nailed fight it in court. Here is the official definition of a "Motor-Driven Cycle":

Section 259:65
259:65 Motor-driven Cycle. – ""Motor-driven cycle'' shall mean any motorcycle or motor scooter with a motor which produces not to exceed 5 horse-power, and any bicycle with motor attached, but not including mopeds.

Source. RSA 259:1, XIV-a. 1967, 415:3. 1976, 4:6. 1981, 146:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982.
I keep a copy of the in my wallet nvr been hassled. I went by cop most every time i rode.

Bike is down at the moment.

nhengineer

Mar 31, 2010
New Hampshire
everything above is true but it also fits the definition of a moped
"259:57 Moped. – ""Moped'' shall mean a motor-driven cycle whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less which is equipped with a motor that produces 2 brake horse power or less; if an internal combustion engine is used, the piston displacement shall not exceed 50 cubic centimeters and the power-drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.
Source. RSA 259:1, XIII-a. 1976, 4:4. 1977, 272:1. 1981, 146:1. 1983, 147:1, eff. Aug. 6, 1983."

at least my 2 stroke motor fills these requirements. don't mean for you to stop driving ride away just pointing it out from a jealous Massachusetts motorbike rider. Maybe I'll take my bike into the great granite state one day i like less than a mile from the border. oh well "live free or die"
Chris
The fact remains that it IS a motorized bicycle. It was manufactured as a bicycle and later fitted with a motor. A Moped is delivered to the dealer complete with a motor. He's my correspondence with Concord DMV below.

-------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 9:38:05 AM
To: WebCoordinator
Subject: Motorized Bicycle Licensing Requirements
Auto forwarded by a Rule

NH Department of Safety
Division of Motor Vehicles
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305
Telephone: (603) 227-4000

Greetings;

Please advise the registration requirements for a mountain bike with a small motor attached. All I can find in the on line RSAs is the definition of a "motor-driven-cycle" but I can find no information as to registration requirements. Any info in this area would be helpful.

Best regards,
David Lee
-------------------------------------------
Good Morning,

If it is consider a motor driven cycle we do not register it. You will need to check with the town clerk to see if there is an ordinance against riding a motor driven cycle on the streets of the town.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Diane Wilson
DMV Contact Center
23 Hazen Drive
Concord NH 03305

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
There is no law against building them, but you cannot ride a moped without some sort of lisence or permit. NH gives out Moped only Lisence as well a drivers lisence

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
Current laws of New Hampshire. https://www.dmv.org/nh-new-hampshire/other-types.php

This is only part of the rules. Best to read and understand all of the rules.
The New Hampshire DMV uses the term “motor-driven cycle” in reference to:

• Motor scooters*.
  • Motorized bicycles.
  • Mopeds that DO NOT the criteria outlined above.
  • Small motorcycles (up to 5 horsepower).
To use a vehicle like this in New Hampshire, you need a motor-driven cycle license. For info on registering your vehicle, please contact your
local DMV office or the main NH Registration office at (603) 227-4030.