front motor mount max length

GoldenMotor.com

iphown

Jan 10, 2011
Fort Lauderdale, FL
the way my cruiser is set up it seems like the front motor mounts have to be extended pretty long. Is there anything you guys could recommend to be a spacer to take some stress from the bolts? i apologize if this is a stupid question and appreciate all feedback. I have attached pictures of what i am thinking of doing but none of the screws are tightened at all. I also replaced the stock studs for grade 8 hex bolts (my hardware store didnt have allen cap screws). thanks in advance

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
Here's some interesting reading for you > http://motorbicycling.com/f6/motorized-bicycle-oversized-tubing-solved-6427.html
I think you'll find an answer to your question.
The large, curved downtubes on many cruisers will necessitate some kind of custom mount for the front of the engine. Read through the link, look at some of the photos of what others have done to solve this problem.
Tom

superbob

Mar 7, 2011
Florida
the way my cruiser is set up it seems like the front motor mounts have to be extended pretty long. Is there anything you guys could recommend to be a spacer to take some stress from the bolts? i apologize if this is a stupid question and appreciate all feedback. I have attached pictures of what i am thinking of doing but none of the screws are tightened at all. I also replaced the stock studs for grade 8 hex bolts (my hardware store didnt have allen cap screws). thanks in advance

Whoah. This is exactly what I just posted about, the curved cruiser downtube and the overextended mounting studs. See what I tried at 'to "rubber" or not.' It seemed like a great idea at the time, but after reading the discussion I kind of expect it to fail. One guy used hockey pucks as spacers, it looks like he drilled them or cut them with a hole saw and wrapped them around the frame, then clamped on around the pucks. Or you could just go gonzo, have proper solid mounts fabricated and welded, and never have to worry about it again. Good luck.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
what are you using on the rear mount, that part you have in the front is the part that goes on the rear mount. putting it in the rear will move the engine forward, you'll still need to do something for the over size tubeing but the motor will be more in the right spot.

superbob

Mar 7, 2011
Florida
what are you using on the rear mount, that part you have in the front is the part that goes on the rear mount. putting it in the rear will move the engine forward, you'll still need to do something for the over size tubeing but the motor will be more in the right spot.
Sorry - I told y'all wrong. I've corrected the post, now let me set you straight on what I really did. I moved the longer, factory REAR studs to the front, and they went around the oversized tubing, but just barely. The new, longer bolts went on the rear. What I wound up with was a spacer block about 2in thick in the rear and one about 1-1/2 in thick in the front, which worked out good for my frame, right-side chain guard, carb being level, etc. And I still think it's just a temporary fix, gonna fail sooner or later, although it looks professional to the casual observer and it went together quickly with scrap and hand tools.

Check out what the guy from Venice Motor Bikes did, this same thread, now that's a fix. Perfect.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I remember it well, I was returning beer to the earth when a snake made an S shape. After shooting the thing, I went home and made a motor mount to fit my bike. I did paint the U bolts black tho. (c)

Atomicdog

Feb 9, 2011
Ca
Venice that is a nice setup.
Is that what you use on your electra builds?
Are they for sale?
Man I love your bikes thnx for sharing as well.

stretchintha420

May 16, 2011
york ME

were did you get that mount. its exactly what i need for my rear motormount. so i can stop snapping studs