modded carb issue

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
hey guys,i need some help trying to think this out and looking for some feedback, last year, i helped build a west coast jesse james chopper for a friend,this was no easy task. but because the way we were able to get the engine in the frame blocked the carb, i thought hey no big deal,i see people on this forum using all kinds of diffrent ways of getting around this.

so i found some gasoline resistant heater core hose the same diameter as the intake tube and the carb to run some what of a small extension to bring the carb on the outside of the frame. when we went to run the bike and got it fired up,it was running way to rich,after a few test runs and tinkerings, i had to move the clip on the needle to the last spot to lean it out.

this made it run more stable and better,however it runs like a dog.top speed is maybe 15 or 20 mph.and it eats thru double the amount of gas that my OCC stingray does. i looked for vacuum leaks but found none, and looked the carb over a few times,kinda at my ends wit here. is it possible that the carb was junk out of the box new? or is there something im missing here

thx for any help or comments u can offer

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Eating up fuel and running badly - I'm thinking too rich. Check the float for leaks and the float height, too. Make sure the jet and tube are screwed in tight while you're in there.
you think im gonna need to get a crab rebuild kit together,i dont want to be opening the carb up without replacement gaskets if im gonna needed em. sigh.... i hate ordering thru the mail and waiting forever for parts.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's only one gasket (float bowl,) and i've taken my carb apart a hundred times and i re-use it every time. no leaks at all. it's basically a piece of cardboard. you could get some thin gasket material and make one if you had to.

on the other matter, is the carb level? does it vibrate around at all on that heater hose? is it leaking anywhere?

or is the gas consumption caused by anything other than the carb, like do your wheels spin freely? is the bike (or rider) a lot heavier than you?

i think the main problem is probably the intake, unless you get a custom one welded up, you'll probably never get the bike to perform properly.

and yeah, it's always possible you got a crappy carb to start with. try switching it out with your carb and see what happens.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
"It's not a Rochester Quadrajet, just a little 2-cycle carb."

ah the days of my Quadra-junk rebuilds,that takes me back.lol.

thanks for the input,ill take all this in account when i start working on it soon.