what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I just finished my first build about a week ago. still breaking it in.

Rode to work; 10 miles, suburban roads w/ moderate traffic.
Still riding side of the road like a bicycle.
I need more breaking power and experence to turn left like a motorvehicle instead of a pedesterian.

asel.mike

Jun 2, 2011
Katy, Tx

I exercised my dog by allowing him to chase me down the street on my motor bike!!!
drn2
I imagine it must have looked like he was trying to attack me and I was running away.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

Grumble... HT motors... I said I'd never own another one, and then I bought one. Today something happened and I*lost power... Still runs along at 20, but that's about it.
Wouldn't make it up my steep driveway. Grumble. Let it cool off and the cyl wall is all scraped up. Dandy.

I have a 13hp honda sitting in the back of my garage, runs mint... Hrmmmm brnot

Last edited by a moderator:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

lol@ Mike, careful someone doesn't take a shot at your puppy, heh heh.

Chris, that sucks. The first thing I did with my new motor was pull the head/jug, it had quite a few metal shavings/filings all over it :( Gotta check'em. 13hp would be crazy fast :)

I spent a couple hours in the sun polishing up a mottled/pitted intake. It was the style without the welded bend and flange, but looked like crap. Came out good. Gotta find the buffing wheel for Mr.Dremel and take some toothpaste to it, should be like a mirror(or close enough). :)

Top left is what it looked like,(eww), top right is before the 600 wetsand.

Attachments

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Dry fitted the front hub from the 1965 Suzuki to the K10 forks on my new build today to see how it sits. Darn is that thing long.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

Chris, that sucks. The first thing I did with my new motor was pull the head/jug, it had quite a few metal shavings/filings all over it :( Gotta check'em. 13hp would be crazy fast :)
Yea, I read a post a while back by you or someone else maybe about taking apart a brand new engine to metal crap inside it. Mine may have had that too, which damaged the cyl wall. And it took a few hundred miles of wear for the damaged wall to disintegrate on it's own. Who knows. I was just cruising along at about 30, not running lean, the occasional 4-stroke here and there. And it just suddenly started running bad. I thought it was a carb issue, so I kept on trucking. But when it wouldn't pull a steep hill I knew something worse than a carb problem was going on.

The 13 is a little... uhhh... large to fit in the frame of a bicycle. haha. It would take a lot of cutting and welding, which I'm not opposed to. And I could make a custom belt drive system, or somehow rig up a go-cart clutch to the motor.
One issue is that the piston comes out the side of the engine, and to have the engine spin the direction of the bike, the piston would need to face backwards. That makes space issue worse, otherwise I'd need some type of geartrain like the HT has.

The main issue is that the motorized bicycle limit is 50cc and 390cc is a little... uhhhh larger than that :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

I exercised my dog by allowing him to chase me down the street on my motor bike!!!
drn2
I imagine it must have looked like he was trying to attack me and I was running away.
LOL Mike. I bet that was fun.

Way back some one was selling a dog tether that attached to the rear of a bike so "you can run you'r dog"

LOL, think about that one. The bike rider is thinking "well this is nice" Right before the dawg sees a critter and yells in his head; "Squirrel!!!!" and runs off to get the family dinner, taking the back of the bike along for the ride. Much to the dismay of the rider and front of the bike.

(Just really, really cracked me up)

Our baby Girl Shelly is a 70 LB Aussie Shepard. When I ride past the house she looks but makes no attempt to go for a run w/ me. I think she thinks it looks way to much like work. But let the poor mail carrier try and get to the porch! LOL, then it is on!

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois

Applied a coat of 2 part epoxy tank sealant to my rear rack gas tank. Left it in an unventilated room to dry all night by my bedside; let me tell you about the cat I saw clawing at my face and it dodging my periphery as I tried to instill it with my gaze. ;-) I wasn't outright huffing it, but I guess that's the effect I saw... I didn't think the fumes would be that much. Now I know.

Coming up next...

1. shorten drive chain with a wipperman half link
  2. clean 4 stroke engine head and jug area with some rust and corrosion remover, sand it up, clean it again, and touch it up with some engine paint
  3. clean, sand, clean again, and finish with paint the few mild steel parts of rear rack supporting brackets
  4. clean, sand, clean again, and finish with paint the one-wheeled trailer, especially the bottom of it
  5. fabricate final aluminum supporting brackets for the rear rack tank
  6. buy some everyday items for maintenance of motorized bicycle
    • triflow lubrication
    • degreasing solvent (I might just use simple green in a spray bottle)
    • motorcycle cover (I might just use a large rain tarp with some bungee cords)
    • etc.
  7. special order the final batch of shift kit related & engine related parts for the season
    • Hd freewheel front
    • jackshaft bearings (with necessary spacers)
    • jackshaft 5/8" keyed
    • 215mm bottom bracket for 4 stroke
    • 17T and 9T jackshaft sprockets
    • freewheel adaptor (with necessary spacer)
    • 30T & 48T drive sprockets
    • Teflon coated throttle cable (*2)
    • 4 stroke spark plug
    • aluminum exhaust gasket
    • etc.
  8. special order the final batch of bicycle related parts for the season

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Changed the oil on my favorite 4 smoker. Still got an odd tinging sound. (Valves?) Oil was ugly. Think I was late on that one.

Went for ride. At a park I stopped at to have a beer, smoke, check here and listen to some tunes, Batts in walkman died. Laptop couldn't connect and forgot to bring smokes!

Rode home. Still have an intermitent "tinging" noise

asel.mike

Jun 2, 2011
Katy, Tx

@ dan
That totally reminded me of the movie UP!
Our dogs are polar opposites. Mine's a beagle basset hound mix and he is like my shadow. he follows me everywhere. he sits outside the bathroom and whines while i take showers

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR

Road my bike to the store today and I think I have to shorten my tuned pipe I don't seem to have any top end. It just cuts out half way though the throttle twist. Tomorrow I'm going to check and see if my pipe has slipped I don't think it's the carburetor. I'll let you guys know tomorrow.

mike

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Nice looking lowrider, Mark!
Should be a lot of fun when you get it going.

Well, I want a motorbike to ride on Friday so I sorted through the pile and pulled out the best looking frame for a plain Jane MAB to build. The PARKPRE is a chrome moly taiwan bike with center pull brakes, and I liked the look of the factory stickies on it compared to the other salvage bikes in the pile.

Trued up a fairly nice rim, then found the flange was too big for a rag joint sprocket to fit. Got an Araya 1.50 x 26 that looked fair and got it trued and dished so it's centered in the rear forks. The bearings just aren't as super smooth as those on that first rim, though...

Picked through the tires and got a 200mm Metro that's in decent shape and found a tube that has held air for a week or so which is a heavier quality. Wanted to use wider tires, but will wait until I see how the chain clearance and alignment is.
I'll run a wide tire on the front for a bit of cushion until I can get a suspension fork operational. Got one with a disk that looks promising.

Just don't like the stance of the bike, the seating, pedal location, or the handlebars! LOL
Also don't like the rag joint much, either. I can tell already, by the lack of concentric and the warble that the chain is going to strum... ManicMechanic clamshell has GOT to be the way to go!

I AM going to get this one going on down the road by Friday, even if I gotta put all the other daily projects aside. Then I can start on something better.
rc

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Adjusted brakes, general look over for loose nuts/wear. Contemplated taking heat shield off. Might put a plastic window in it. Reattached kill switch cable.

Then pretty much just sat and enjoyed looking at her. In my top & favorite 3things to do. The order changes depending where and what is going on. Building/tinkering. Riding and just sitting and looking at her.

@ dan
That totally reminded me of the movie UP!
Our dogs are polar opposites. Mine's a beagle basset hound mix and he is like my shadow. he follows me everywhere. he sits outside the bathroom and whines while i take showers
LOL Mike. I imagine that is a mighty mournful sounding whine given his mixed breed. Shelly is afraid of water and any thing that sounds like water running. Is funny watching the hairy footed wonder trying to run away on hardwood floors.

I am gonna rent that movie. Never heard of it. Looks great. I still love Disney movies.

UP : Official Site

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Rode around some and took a rack back that was to big and bought a collapsable basket and installed a bell rear rack. Went and bought my 1st 6 pack with them earlier.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Went to go for a cruise, motor died down the block. I guess she doesn't like old weed-eater gas, (but it was from the same can as my bike gas) :( Or my cast hole opened up again :(

That's why they call these a hobby and not "Transport"

Been so long since I had to peddle, and of course it was the hottest day ever.

srsly, it hit 120 in SW Ontario today... and people pay money for sauna's, lmao...

*cheers*

Attachments

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Lol

That's cute... a flaw in the casting that bleeds air!
Absolutely horrid castings, aren't they?
Still, the price is right.
Will you gouge it out a little bigger and put some AB epoxy in it?
Either that or arc n' spark it a tad...

WoW! 120 in Ontario???
I wouldn't need a rack or basket for a six pack.
It might be discovered defective before I got out of the store!

Well, I'm learning more of what I don't know about bicycles and MABs.
Probs with the center pull brakes, and the seat post, of all things... a lot of my salvage bikes are not complete. Many are missing a wheel, crank, and usually a seat, or the seat and post. Well, I don't have a seatpost to fit this frame and a couple wraps of a sliced up bud can won't do it... might have to do something drastic and buy one!

Pipe hits the crank...
Fabbed the clutch cable mod... and discovered it will now run THROUGH the bottom of the air cleaner. Disappointment.

WAY too many stoopid wires and cables running to the handlebars.
Looks like the electrical mains in Delhi. Gotta fix all that $#@!. Looks bad.

Installed the kit tensioner.
Will build a spring loaded one soon as it makes smoke.

Generous cables that came with the basketcase I bought... I could run apes if I wanted. Probably should.

Hoped to get it to pop today, and ride tomorrow, but plans rarely survive implementation. Such is life.
rc

Attachments

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

yesterday, i took the clutch cover off and took the cutch adjust nut screw out and tightened the adjuster nut, cuz my clutch was slipping. Then put the cover back on and then the little brass clutch cable holder fell right off in my hand when i jiggled the wire to see if it was loose. Whew!! If i had not checked that, id be stuck somewhere not being able to start my motor. So i had to push the clutch lever in and hold it in place while i tightened the brass cable holder. Its still not tight enough, but i'll tighten it up tonight. I still have yet to take the return spring off. I know i don't need it on , but im too lazy. I'm going to do it tonight before i ride tomorrow.

Last edited:

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

You don't have to use the smaller diameter return spring... I never use it. Just makes the clutch handle stiffer and it's a pain to put on.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

You don't have to use it if you're using a springed clutch handle, as is the stock ones - I don't use a springed clutch handle, and I rely on that return spring.