Cooper & Ludwig

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Painted steel is nice, like this Lutz. The tank can also be mounted athwart (lovely word, you just don't hear it these days) the frame. Either will look period like the period I'm aiming for.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The temporary spokes were in the wheels, so tyres were applied and the bike was assembled. The mudguards fitted after a small amount of faffing about, and the exhaust (Raleigh RM4 for reference, if you want an easily available old looking European) is chosen. Doug scrounged some 90 degree bends to make up a new header pipe to clear the down tube in the future.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
On Friday we did a little bit of fiddling about and cutting to get the exhaust pipe in place, I need to get an exhaust sealing ring or two to get the fit right.

On the evening I picked up a 2.5 litre Raleigh Wisp tank, this will sit crossways behind the head tube for that Vintage look. Here is one in it's natural home.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I tried taking pictures on my phone of today's results, but they aren't good enough quality to post. The exhaust is now in place, and the seating position has been established. Because of it and the size of the frame, the machine is now acquiring a more 1920s style, especially as the Wisp tank is going to sit on a carrier that Doug has lurking in store somewhere. It was a saddlebag support, but will work just as well with the tank, and look suitably period.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm off to Melton Mowbray on Monday to JC's to finally do more work on the Cooper & Ludwig. I may take some bottles of refreshment with me, as I'm going the 50 miles on the train. Nearly as cheap as driving, and the van's in for servicing anyway.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The r/h engine support is in place. It doesn't look much, but as always, we measured twice a lot and thought a lot before doing anything.

The first pic is without the new stay, the rest are detail shots of what's done so far. And a mean, moody, magnifithent beatht.

The rough mechanical edges will be cut away once we have it all fitted properly, then it will be painted and reassembled. The front mount is looking more and more temporary as well.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I went over to Doug's the other day, didn't do much apart from spend some time looking at how the carb sits and cleaning it out as well. I went online looking up information about the jets, and discovered I have to hoick out the idle diffuser body and make sure two tiny, tiny holes are clear. .012" each, but if they are blocked then the engine will only run flat out.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
On Monday we spent half a day cutting down the Motobecane inlet manifold and making up a curved connecting tube to the carburettor. It's done, apart from a little bit of cutting and smoothing, in order to make it fit properly. The placing of the carb in it's correct place now lets us organise mounting the tank, which has a decent fall on it to the carb, and that then gives us the limits of steering movement and lock stops. It's slow progress, but steady.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I need a filler cap for a Raleigh Wisp tank, I wonder how much people want for them.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I spent this afternoon over at Doug's cleaning up and preparing the curved inlet we made in order for the carb to sit level. Small, fiddling stuff, but finally the right shape and fit where it goes into the carb.

Petrol tank to fit next and probably steering lock stops.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I did a little bit today, and we put the sprockets in place to set the chain runs up and found the clamps for the tank. It is remarkable how it looks like something once some few parts are added.

The phone camera doesn't show the rangy proportions of the frame, it's looking further and further back in time as we add more to it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The engine and transmission are entirely Motobecane, just rotated by a lot of degrees. We used the complete bottom bracket and pedal crank assembly, held in place by a pair of bicycle cones/bearing races. Why invent something new when it's ready made?