The Violator is born!

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Yeah, lol. I don't know about yall, but I think this is a pretty manly hobby. Working with your hands will always be manly. Not to mention that slapping a motor on a frickin' BICYCLE and riding it around takes some pretty big cajones.
what was that? sorry couldn't be bothered to read your post, was too busy admiring our manliness ;)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Its funny, I have ended up on the ground twice on an MB. The first time was semi-serious. I sideswiped a lady in an SUV who didn't have her turn signal on. Went to the ER, but really just had a banged up leg and a few scrapes. Nothing broken, no stitches. The second time was hardly nothing, laid the bike down turning into a parking lot after a rain. Bruised knee was the only injury I sustained that day. Mostly it just shook me up. After the first wreck, I would be up half the night, sick to my stomach worrying that I was gonna wreck again. But no matter how scared I was, it never kept me off my bike for a second. Because I'm a man, and when its time to strap up and ride, my ass is strapped up and ready to ride.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, my buddy helped me with my headlight today. It now runs on 4 AA batteries, and its a bullet headlight. Its jabout as bright as a 6v flashlight, which is actually what I was using for a headlight before. However, I think this setup looks a whole lot cooler!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Its funny, I have ended up on the ground twice on an MB. The first time was semi-serious. I sideswiped a lady in an SUV who didn't have her turn signal on. Went to the ER, but really just had a banged up leg and a few scrapes. Nothing broken, no stitches. The second time was hardly nothing, laid the bike down turning into a parking lot after a rain. Bruised knee was the only injury I sustained that day. Mostly it just shook me up. After the first wreck, I would be up half the night, sick to my stomach worrying that I was gonna wreck again. But no matter how scared I was, it never kept me off my bike for a second. Because I'm a man, and when its time to strap up and ride, my ass is strapped up and ready to ride.
I know what you mean. If you really love these things, it's hard to stay off. I got slammed off my first bike by a Ford F-150, sent tumbling down the street. Multiple leg fractures, broken tailbone, cracked pelvis, sundry sprains, strains, dislocations, lacerations, bruising, and a few assorted nightmares. But I've been healing up, walking pretty good now, and I've been building a new bike that I plan to ride soon. Am I nuts or what?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I suppose it is a little late to point this out, but this build is in no way a board tracker by any definition and it isn't vintage either. This would be more like a beach cruiser. It helps to at least try to put threads where they belong so that things a person is interested in are easier to find. Someone with a bike model just like yours will never see your project because they're looking under cruisers. It's like finding a thread with questions about a HT two stroke engine problem under four strokes. There's a reason for the categories.
SB

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Actually, I would call it a modern take on a boardie. Really, the only differences between my bike and a boardie are that a boardie has an in frame tank and a laid back seat, and if you want to get really technical, a drop-loop frame. And although the bike itself isn't vintage, it has quite a few parts that give it that vintage look. The leather seat, the handlebars, the pedals, the headlight, and the front fender all came off of a bike that was close to 40 years old. This bike may be new, but it definitely has a classic look to it. Something that is new and looks classic can be just as vintage as something that is old, if you give it the right look. So I'm gonna have to disagree with you and refuse to change my mind, silverbear. I am calling my bike a new school boardie, and that's how it is.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
And I am asking the mods to please not move this thread. I definitely feel that this build is a blending of styles that mixes a little old school with a little new. Does it have to be 100 percent old school and traditional to call it a boardie?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Well sir, I appear to have ruffled your feathers without meaning to. I guess your idea of a board track racer and mine are quite a lot different. No, I don't think that something has to be a hundred percent, but when you look at a bike it should suggest on it's own what kind of "style" it is. I suspect that few would say your bike makes them think of a board track racer. But whatever. My comment was not meant as a criticism of your build, but as a suggestion of where to place the thread. Words have meanings all on their own. "Cafe Racer" suggests a certain kind of style and so does "Chopper" or "Stretch", and so does "Beach Cruiser" or "Rat Rod". Post where you want and call it a Harley look alike if you want to. I'm not the police around here and I did not ask moderators to move your thread. Peace...
SB

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, its cool. To me, this bike suggests a modern take on a boardie. You have to remember, elements of board track racing are everywhere. I was watching a rerun of american chopper the other day, and they built a drag bike. I watched them test ride it, and they ride it in the prone position, just like a btr. Now, a drag bike looks nothing like a btr, but the influence is clearly there. I know that my bike isn't a traditional boardie, but looking at it, its clearly heavily influenced by boardies and classic motorcycles. So imho, this is the appropriate category for this build. Guys who wanna take any old beach cruiser right off the shelf and just slap a motor on it are not in the same category as my bike. Sorry, they just aren't.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Besides that, no matter how much one of these bikes might LOOK like board track racers, none of them actually ARE. Not like the originals, anyway. These are all just mopeds that look like btr's. In my first post on this thread, I said that I was not trying to replicate any bike, that I was trying to create an original style that was based on other styles that inspired me.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Update for anyone who is interested. First, the headlight is actually much brighter and casts a wider beam than a 6v flashlight. Test rode it again today, and the engine chain came off. Took it back to my garage, re-centered the rear wheel, and the chain stayed on. Think the chain was a little loose due to being centered slightly more to the right. Also, I got to thinking from the first time I rode it that maybe it didn't run smoothly because I didn't choke the engine. It is brand new, and sometimes these engines don't warm up too quick if you don't choke them. So I put the idle screw back to where I had it originally, and made sure to choke it this time. She fired up right away, didn't run 100% smooth, but moving the throttle up and down a few times took care of that. She does 30 smoothly, throttle response is the best I have ever experienced, and she climbed an incline with no loss in power. Mind you, I said incline and not hill. But this was only the 3rd time she was started. So far, I would definitely say I got a Wednesday model. Very happy so far!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Had a slight problem with the engine today. Headed down the road and lost all power. Pushed the bike home in 80 degree heat. Not fun. Anyway, seems I fixed the problem. Pretty sure it was an air leak. Now the throttle is stuck, so have to deal with that in the morning. Hopefully no more problems with the bike after this. Also, finally got comfortable riding the bike. It scared me a little when I test rode it, due to the different riding posture and the fact that this engine is a tad more powerful than any other engine I have had so far. When I test rode it, I wasn't trying to see how comfortable I was driving the bike, I was just checking for problems and making sure it ran ok. Plus test rides are generally short, so I didn't really get a chance to get comfortable with the bike. Today, I pedaled down the street, dumped the clutch, fired up, made my first turn, and just a few seconds later I was completely comfortable with the bike.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Decided to change the name of the bike. I am going to call her Lucky 13. Its kind of a pun, because of all the bad luck I had trying to get this bike on the road.