European lightweight Motorized Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Re: European lightweights

I've seen it close up. What other radial is in the Miller collection?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

There are plenty of fancy bikes in museums over there, but it's going to take you a while visiting them all on an MB.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Since I started riding Motor Bicycles, the thought has crossed my mind more than once about how in the past, people in this country have sort of been conditioned to consider a vehicle like a MB, as a sort of loser mobil lol. Of course I don't think that at all, and give no though to what others might think about me for liking MBs. I'm kind of used to it anyway, because it used to be common for people to think just being a motorcycle rider makes you a low class thug. The kind of guy you need to hide your daughter from lol.

Now I consider it sort of an honor when people come up to ask about my MB, and when I tell them I made it, they marvel at how well constructed it is, and say they thought it came from a store. In most cases I get the feeling they're dissapointed, because they were hoping they could find out where they could buy one.

I think things are starting to change though. With gas prices getting so high I see all kinds of people riding motorcycles, and scooters that never would be seen riding a few years ago. Motor bicycle will start catching on as more people become familiar with them. I'm doing my part.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Great motor bicycles Ludwig. It's strange there's beed so many, and yet most people here have never heard of them. I hope they're coming back in style. I think they will.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

Most people here know nothing about American bikes apart from the Milwaukee Monster, and there were so many ephemeral companies across Europe that it's almost impossible to track them all down. Here in Birmingham, over the years, there were over 100 companies making motorcycles, and that discounts the contiguous towns of the Black Country.

Some of the bikes I find will raise a smile, others will provoke thought. I even found one with the engine behind the back wheel, like a VW Beetle.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

In 1974 I bought my first big bike. A brand new 850 Norton Commando. That bike was the most undependable pos I've ever had, but I loved better than any bike I owned until 1988 when I bought my 1200 Sportster. It's still a clost second.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

There were several factors at play in late model British bike unreliability. First was the relentless insistence on opening out 500 twins bigger and bigger without beefing up the engineering or modernising it. Second was a genuine belief among the top brass that "motorcyclists enjoy spending Sundays rebuilding their bikes", so why make them reliable? Third, investors wanted quick profits now instead of planning for a future with even better returns. Fourth, many of the workers, now they could afford to buy a car, no longer cared about the quality of their work. Add to this the industrial animosities between workers and management of the 1970s besides the petty infighting and politics of the companies within AMC and BSA/Triumph, and you have the whole picture.

The customer very much came second. The dreadful thing now is that aftermarket parts which are not great leaps of logic to make, nor would have added much to production costs at the time, are available easily to transform oil leaking wrecks into viable motorcycles. They still don't have Japanese reliability, but at least they can be trusted for a decent distance.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

Vintage bike rally in Zagreb. Don't know the bike, but the style is very French, like a BMA or Motobecane of the early 1930s

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

It's funny how well our china girls would fit right in with the old bikes.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

Why? It's what they were designed for. Over on the Other Site I did some research and turned up the possible ancestor, or at least model for them. A 98cc Sachs from the 1930s, and the was a very similar JLO of the same time.