Ridley Vintage Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: The Ridley - A fancy, happy time

Rediculously overpriced....you can build a one off custom of the same calibre for a lot less.

There is already a thread going (or was) about these.

I'll sell you engine kits, personally massaged by myself for 559 dollars, all day.

A credit card number is all that is needed.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston

I meet a ridley motorcycle owner while I was out riding my bike and he did not know there was kits out there. I told him how much I had tied up in my bike (and I was embarrassed that I have spent around $600.00 because I replaced every part on this bike with upgrades) and he was saying "Thats all". I know now why.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Yes The Motor Mount Looks Good. Was Looking At Ridley Website Yesterday. They Don`t Show Much For Parts At All. When I Punched Them Into Google,there Is A Website, A Lady Is Very Unhappy. Can`t Get Parts Etc.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca

They're using Felt bikes.

Felt Bicycles USA - 09 Catalog > Cruiser

The bikes average at about $550.

Check out Derringer Cycles.

Derringer Cycles

They are good looking bikes for people that are willing to spend the money. I do like my bike just a little bit more however. I literally have soaked blood and sweat as well as money into this bike. I think we can all achieve the look they have, it just takes money.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

...and how long do you suppose they will "forget to mention" that you could build your own for the price they charge for a 120 dollar bicycle motor kit?

What do you think they are going to say when customers come back and say "Hey! I talked to a guy named Dave who built his own bike for 600?!?"

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca

Their response may be like, "Ours is a "quality" motor made by the best manufacturer on a high caliber frame." I tend to hear this a lot when I ask, "What is the difference between you and the next guy?"

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

That's why it just boggles my mind seeing people selling ready made bikes for so much.

But I guess you gotta consider, there are a lot of people out there that are completely incapable of building these things themselves. I guess it's worth it to some people...they look good and take a bit of talent to create.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca

That's why it just boggles my mind seeing people selling ready made bikes for so much.

But I guess you gotta consider, there are a lot of people out there that are completely incapable of building these things themselves. I guess it's worth it to some people...they look good and take a bit of talent to create.
You're right. Some can not creat what people here can. Although parts may cost to about $600, we may not be considering the labor involved in the build and the amount of time it took to accumulate the knowledge for the build. I gues that's why I spent $1500 on a computer when the parts could have cost a total of $700.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest

I guess a person has to identify their perogatives early on when getting into motorbicycling. Is it to be a hobby ? A hedge against $4.00 dollar a gallon fuel which has the average American pouring his pay check into his gas tank each week ? Is he going to be like a "Car Buff" type who enjoys a stable of unique machines....like Jay Lenno ? Or is he going to find a market in it and make a few bucks setting these machines up and servicing them for his teen age buddies ?

In marketing there is a niche called "Vanity" where those with the means can buy manufactured eloquences. Often they are purchased on credit lines. It's likely the only way some will ever get one of these.

I could see a "cottage industry" emerging for those who find themselves out of work doing installations, sales, and services. But before they get into that, they would have to have a shop, established a public awareness of what they have done with their own bike builds and be a bit selective with who they deal with and qualify the extent of their responsibility to them carefully. How many threads have we seen on replacing inferior gasketts, exhaust, intake, & mounting studs, etc ? Anyone who has worked on computers for other people with limited knowledge of them will know the frustrations of dealing with that and likely see a parallel with fixing up a bike for someone who is only thinking "zoom zoom zoom" and later whine..."It broke" !!!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

I still think it's like paying 300 dollars for a Durabrand toaster oven.

Of course Ridley did start out as a "boutique bike" selling Vanguard (Briggs) powered mini bikes for 5000 dollars before they started selling them for 20,000 dollars.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

Anyone who has worked on computers for other people with limited knowledge of them will know the frustrations of dealing with that
AMEN!!!!

I haven't had to fix a single computer except my own since I moved out of state and I'll tell ya....HEAVEN.

Used to help with computer problems for a lot of elderly people...takes a little more patience than I would like to think I have. The pay was good though :)

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah

And I thought that they were painting that bike. I knew about the Felt bikes but had not seen anything like that. Looks like the only thing that Ridley is making is the motor mount, I guess they didn't want there expensive Happy to turn off the owner. Hope they give a decent warranty for it. Have fun, Dave

PS: This one says it has a built in fuel cap. DO you think they intended to have us use it?
Felt Bicycles USA - Vintage Iron Bolt (8989)

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind

I've said it before. Ridley has some serious machining capabilities. Check out the side cover on the motor for an example of how they roll. Crisp and clean. They make their own v twin motors and cvt transmissions for their motorcycles. If they came out with a 49cc v twin with a cvt I would be first in line for it.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Re: Ridley vintage bicycle....

I understand Ridley doesn't sell parts, but does sell the motor kit. At $599 it had better come w/ those mounts! Keep in mind that those mounts fit the geometry of the felt frame.

Jun 25, 2008
Re: Ridley motorcycles - have you SEEN these price $2000 for a motorised bike!!

Obviously i understand felts are expensive anyway.....

orbit222

Aug 9, 2008
Re: Ridley motorcycles - have you SEEN these price $2000 for a motorised bike!!

Maybe its a military edition... comes with a $29,000 tool kit.