Stuck Rear Derailleur Shifter Kit

GoldenMotor.com

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
I was riding home today when my rear derailleur wouldn't up shift. I had to ride home stuck in first gear... It was too dark for me to stop and mess with it. I got home and after wiggling it around smacking it and what not, still stuck. It would stay in first gear only and upshifting just caused for a loose shifter cable. There was some grinding noise too. This happened suddenly right after a stop. I did not drop the bike or anything so this is definitely weird. Thanks for all the help in advance.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
You gotta try to figure wout wy it's stuck. Is the cable not right, just need to readjust it? Or did bearings fail and caused it to be stuck in a single position? Sometimes, with bikes made to ride up and down the neighborhood, you put a motor on it, and you start hauling butt. So, you end up spinning the bearings WAAAAAY faster then they are designed for. That causes heat. Plus, you have dirt and grime from riding in dirty streets. Add sand and a little bit of water, you get a stuck bearing.

Put some PB blaster on the Derailleur, and see if you can free it. Again, make sure the cable is correctly adjusted.

Hope this helps, AlienBoy