Gas Vent:

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Having a problem with my one gallon plastic gas can. It constricts during the cold, thus it caves in. Then when it gets hot, and is in sunlight, it looks like it is going to explode. I can not find a gas cap that has a vent in it that will fit it. Has anyone ever used one of these....................................................

GAS CAP VENT f Honda Yamaha Suzuki Motorcycle Bike Quad - eBay (item 160486953887 end time Jan-26-11 18:54:02 PST)

How do they work? Would I just drill a hole in the gas can at the top a little bit smaller than the plastic tubes diameter? Then stick it in? Thanks,

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Why run a vent? Just pressurize your gas can with dry nitrogen and keep it out of the sunlight. You're not supposed to store gas in sunlight or heated (hot) environments anyways.

I know you don't have dry nitrogen.....was just kidding, vent it!laff

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
O.K.

So I'm tooling around with this thing this morning. I already had a super small hole up at the top of the handle on the gas can on my motorbike, where before i tried to vent it. That attempt failed.

Gas crawled up the sides of the can and seeped out of the super small hole. So i stuck a toothpick point in the hole and broke it off to stop the gas from coming out.

This morning I tried Bikeguy Joes idea and drilled the super small hole a little bigger and inserted a tube. Samething. I do not know how the gas is climbing up the gas can handle and then climbing down the tube, then back up the inside the tube to escape out of the top, but it is still spewing out. Any ideas besides sticking a wick down the tube and lighting it? Thanks,

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Thanks for the help,

I ended up sticking some cotton down the plastic tube that was bikeguy joes idea, and it lets the tank breathe without spewing gas back out the tube. The one gallon plastic gas can no longer constricts during the cold, or looks like it is going to explode in the sun. I might still get the vent from ebay, but it comes from china which means about 3 weeks delivery. This will work for now or maybe permanent.

Thanks again,

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I think those vents on ebay attach to the existant vent line and keep the gas from coming out of the vent line. I don't know if that's would work for what your trying to do.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Thanks,

I bought it a while ago. They sent the wrong Item. They sent a more expensive item: a billet aluminum fuel filter. I contacted them and told them. They told me to keep it free and sent the right item.

I have not yet hooked it up, but I blow thru it and it seems like it will work. It is easier to blow thru than to suck. So it might work better in Hotter Conditions vs. Colder Conditions.

Thanks,