west coast choppers with a briggs in the works

GoldenMotor.com

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
Here is a cfl chopper I picked up last weekend. Started modding the briggs 3hp to be narrower and older, smoother looking. still have a long way to go maybe more progress this weekend.(I didnt need this step after all)

Attachments

Last edited:

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
Here are few more pics. The chain is gonna be really long. I think it will go over the top of the engine and under the frame on the bottom. Unless routing both bottom and top chains under the engine. I saw another thread on here somewhere where he cut the front downtube and turned it 180 and rewelded it so he could have some more room with the peddles. that may have to be done I dont know at this point. All the engine tins and staying off and I dressed the front of the engine to give its cooling fins back like a regular air cooled bike engine. I have also ground off the cooling fins on the flywheel. No point in having fins if I'm moving down the road.

Attachments

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
O and I'm not building a scooter. I need the peddles to be completely functional. I want this to still be a bicycle. The kits are nice but if i have to build special engine mounts I might as well use an engine I already have. Mopeds and egine assist bicycle are legal with no insurance or tags in oklahoma. Turning a bicycle to a scooter is not an option. That ruins the fun of it being free basically to ride.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
i like the hieght of the motor , it will look cool in that frame , my motor is pretty short in hieght and doesnt quite fill th frame out , but still looks cool . can,t wait to see the chain setup ( i think your gonna want a bit better brakes also )

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
Here's my two ideas on the chain if anyone has better ideas let me know! besides getting rid of it of course. coaster brake on the back, disc on front in the plans. centrifugal drive of engine to a sprocket on the left side of rear wheel just like china kits basically. don't know what gear yet. I have a 74 toothe rear gear from a go cart but I think a 40 tooth would be better. maybe not I will probably try the 74 first.

Attachments

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
One thing I am working on ion brain space right now is: The engine will have a trim and slim flywheel. it is gonna be cetrifugal clutch chain drive. I hacve to figure out how to start it.been thinkin about a jack shaft with some one way bearings but then when you peddleyou would be trying to start it froma dead stop which i believe would be hard to do. the little china 80cc you have to get it pumped up there a little ways before you dump the clutch. so what I'm thinking about is a pully with a hex receptical that will fit the nut that holds on the flywheel. Wrap a rope on the pulley pull hard hope it starts then then pully should be loose fitting enough to pop off of the crank before it starts completely. Dunno? been thinking about this since last night. I want all the tins off for a vintage single cylinder look and I don't want the flywheel fins to grab my pants. starting the thing may be the hardest adaption I have to come up with.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
Found what I need but where to obtain one the right size? this came off of a vespa piaggio. It has 2 centrifugal clutch setups you peddle the bike wich turns the clutch drum which engauges the brake shoes to turn the engine. the engine fires up and works like a regular centrifugal clutch. I have 2 of these vespas like this. the engine shaft is tiny though. and i dont think the clutch would hold up to a briggs. It is basically two centrifugal clutches put togeterinside out and right way wrong. Maybe I can find something simular? Anybody have any Ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
take a look in the boardtracker section , look at the boardtracker with honda engine , it might give you some ideas , he rigged up a kickstart , pretty cool .

i,m gonna put a kick on mine , but i,m just going to attach it to the pullstart .
mine is a scooter though ( no pedalable pedals , they are just foot rests ) , and yours will have pedals .

what about ( it may be tricky , balance issues ) attaching a one way bearing on the flywheel side and then use the shift kit setup with the 2 sprockt pedal - NO - WAIT - then you would always be cranking your engine when pedaling even when the motor is off - never mind - bad idea

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
I made some more progress this weekend. got the rear wheel sprocket on. Started on the engine mount. Made some short S bend cranks, and turned the downtube around to the front to give me some more clearance.

Attachments

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
I decided to go ahead and use a regular flywheel and the pull start cover. This will just make it so much simpler. I am going to experiment with my shaved flywheel and the regular one. I think the shaved one will spin faster and easier.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
flipping the crank was a good idea , that gave you almost 3 extra inches to work with .

don,t wory about the 206cc , just write 49cc on the side , madey i,ll try that on my roadstar , think they will fall for it ?

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
heck yea they prolly wont know the difference between 130cc and 203cc. In Oklahoma its all completely legal as long as its 150cc or less!.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
got some more done today. Had to make bend some new longer cranks so they would clear theengine enough for me to peddle if I had to and to use the brake. also got my chain ran underneath the engine by use of two old mountain bike derailers. they a mounted solid in the front and adjustable on the back so I can put tension on my peddle chain. Its still going slow. But I only have 2 or 3 hours in the mornings to work on it. And check out what we got today SNOW it never snows here but today we have gotten about 4 inches.

Attachments

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
that engine probably revs out between 3500 - 4000rpm,s , whats your ratio 6-1 ? your gonna go about 45mph , you really better think about putting a good front brake on there .

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
I dunno what ration it is The back ger is 82 teeth never have counted front one but yea I figure 30 to 45 mph. the front is going to have a disc brake if I can find it if I cant it will have a drum that I have. and I may even wind up putting a disc brake freewheel on the back.