1 for the experts, using a choke in AZ, CNS ?

GoldenMotor.com

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
I have a 66 with a NT and am about to switch out to a CNS carb, only question is
how do I remove the choke cable and still leave it functional as I have never
ever needed the choke out here.

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
The "choke" is actually a fuel-bypass in the CNS: a brass piston normally blocks the fuel channel. You could unscrew the piston from the actuator cable and replace the piston with its spring; it'll keep the choke disengaged.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Don't forget to plug the hole in the top where the cable used to be.
Technically, while the plunger is down (off position) it's sealed off from the rest of the carburetor, but why allow dirt to get into where it doesn't belong?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I started with a CNS3, and after much heartbreak, I got an NT Speed and fell in love with it...until the banjo-bolted fuel-nipple began leaking. I couldn't get it to stop either; once those ring-washers get tightened, you can't re-tighten them properly to stop leakage. I tried EVERY OTHER type of washer too: rubber, vinyl, copper-crush...etc. I actually ended up buying a whole new Speed NT since it'd be cheaper than buying more washers! Well, THAT one eventually leaked too. I had a regular NT that I never unwrapped from a kit I'd purchased that I didn't need, but figured I'd give it a try. Well, I LOOOOOOVE it. No potentials for leaking like the Speed, super simple to tune (if you really need to...had to thicken it up by one notch on the needle this Winter once it started to go below freezing), and it's MUCH better on gas. I have a 29er with a 66cc. The combo gets my fat ass up to 25MPH no prob.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Here's my dilemma I've got like 400 miles on it now and you can see the plug color,
it worries me that it's running a tad bit lean and I was hoping not to have to mess with the jets.
Oh well!

It runs great but when I switched over to a 3/4 emt exhaust it started four
stroking but I did get about a 5 mph increase in speed and power over the
1/2 emt exhaust

What to do, what to do!

oh and 32:1 mix with 1/4 oz marvel M.O.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The color of that plug indicates that you are running nearly perfect if not a tad bit rich. This is fine for the life of the engine as it is getting great lubrication. If it is 4 stroking only when you are cruising along at partial throttle and it still revs up to top RPM with plenty of power than leave things alone.
If it is 4 stroking at full throttle and the engine just seems to have poor high RPM performance, install the next size smaller main fuel jet.