4G T Clutch Problems

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 6, 2012
Mahomet Il
Hey everyone! I'm finally back to working on my bike. I've narrowed down my problems to the clutch. It won't transfer power properly and as a result my bike goes very slow.

Here are some things that I am noticing.

1. The clutch doesn't seem to engage properly resulting in a bike that goes around 5 mph.
2. I'll give it a little gas... then a little more... and then POW the engine over revs to the max with no apparent increase in speed.

My engine is a 4 stroke HuaSheng with a 4G T belt drive. The gears are as follows, primary drive is 20 teeth, freewheel is 90 teeth, output sprocket is 10 teeth, and the wheel sprocket is 48 tooth. I believe the gear ratio is therefore 21.6 to 1.

I again thank you all for your help with this problem.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
If you are able to do it, take the clutch off your crankshaft. Using a 10mm socket, break the three bolts that hold the clutch shoes on to the hub. One bolt per shoe, in the center of each shoe. Remove the bolts and the washers and springs from each shoe. Reinstall the three bolts without the springs and washers.

Check the freedom of movement out away from the hub of each shoe. Each shoe should move freely away from the hub until the bolt head stops it. From your description, this is the part that may not be happening.

You probably know this already, but the way the thing is supposed to work is; Engine rpm increases which increases the centrifugal force trying to move the shoes away from the hub. The shoes won't move away from the hub until the centrifugal force exceeds the spring force holding the shoes down on the hub. This should happen just a little bit over idle speed. I don't know the rpm, but others do.

If the shoes don't move freely away from the hub, you will need to either get a new clutch or fix it so they do move.

I have a 4g T-belt tranny and I love it. I think you will too as soon as you get your clutch working again.