Chrome Motor Parts?

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Does anyone know where I can get:

1. Chrome Pull Start Cover
2. Chrome Centrifugal Clutch Cover

I have looked at the dealer web sites shown on here but I may have missed them.

Terry

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
for chrome covers.go to bikeberry and search "chrome" youll find alot there..also saw a mag cover engraved with 48cc but cant remember where.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try polishing them. Clean them, sand and then use a bench buffer and compound.
I start with a 3-M metal finishing pad to smooth the surface then work down to 400 grit paper. Then it's the buffer and compound until the aluminum starts to shine. Keep working and you'll end up with parts that closely resemble chrome at far less cost than having them plated.

Due to EPA regulations you might have trouble finding a chrome plating shop. Most of them have gone out of business and those that are still around have gone away from the old 'triple plating' (copper, nickle, chrome) that they used to do. What's out there today is a single layer chrome job that doesn't look or last like the real stuff used to.

Aluminum castings can be polished very nicely with a little work.
Tom

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Try polishing them. Clean them, sand and then use a bench buffer and compound.
I start with a 3-M metal finishing pad to smooth the surface then work down to 400 grit paper. Then it's the buffer and compound until the aluminum starts to shine. Keep working and you'll end up with parts that closely resemble chrome at far less cost than having them plated.

Due to EPA regulations you might have trouble finding a chrome plating shop. Most of them have gone out of business and those that are still around have gone away from the old 'triple plating' (copper, nickle, chrome) that they used to do. What's out there today is a single layer chrome job that doesn't look or last like the real stuff used to.

Aluminum castings can be polished very nicely with a little work.
Tom
The shop that chromed my forks used copper as a base. I messed around with the cover I took off when I added the pull starter. I went down to 1500 grit wet sand paper and finished it off with extremely fine steel wool. I could shave using that thing as a mirror. But it was a LOT of work! Plus it had a flat surface.

Bike Berry had the best selection of chromed parts. But they didn't have what I wanted. I'll take some picture of the parts and send them in for a quote and see what comes back. I'll probably end up polishing them myself then spray a clear coat on them though.

Terry