Creative Engineering Turnaround Time

GoldenMotor.com

MyrmidonJuan

May 3, 2009
xxx
Rather than bother Jim I decided to ask you all, and course, give him the opportunity to respond if he chooses to do so.

Has anyone purchased a clutch adapter and sprocket from Jim recently? I'm curious as to what his turnaround time for orders are lately. I just feel like I need some information for morale.

I'm really anxious to get back up and running...since I've assembled the bike two weeks ago, I've probably only been able to log 5 miles on it. It was a GREAT 5 miles, but I really want to ride again.

Chain woes have got me down.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
There was a post a little while back that Jim replied to and offered a clutch kit to the first person that gave him an answer. A couple of us responded and the next morning Jim gave all of us that had replied a free kit. Less that a week after his post, I got a little box in the mail. I opened it and it was his clutch kit. When I said 'less than a week' it was really about 4 days. And this kind of fast service on something Jim made no money on....it just kind of amazed me.
In the future if I have the money and need something that Jim provides I will spend my money with him and be glad that I could give it to him.

MyrmidonJuan

May 3, 2009
xxx
Okay, but I was asking about the sprocket adapter. I ordered the clutch kit as well and received it in about 4 days and that was probably only due to the weekend. I'm wondering about sprocket adapters...I think I read somewhere that he's making a batch of about 100 this week. I hope mine included in that batch if that's the case.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
This batch is almost finished guys, and it is more than enough to satisfy all orders. They will ship this week...(everyone's order).

I got slammed with orders for these. I'm very gratefull, and you guys are going to love this product. I wasn't expecting to have to make more immediately. And yes I do make these here at the shop. I don't outsource any of my products!

Believe me I know how it is when you find a product that really solves a problem, and you want to get it in quick! I'm the same way. I've been waiting for the correct Durometer rubber mounts for my engine mount set-up for a month...all the while I get calls daily asking when it will be ready!

After this shipment, I will once again only have about 30 in inventory...I will be making another 100 ASAP.

This product will always have a slower turn-around time than the other items I sell. The adapters are made to each hub, and you have an infinite choice regarding sprocket tooth counts. In order to keep the cost down, they have to be done in batches. I can quickly change the CNC program for each size of sprocket...It's the initial set-up that is time consuming. The sprockets are a give-away. I really need to make a minimum of 30 each time the machine is set-up for sprockets. Again it doesn't have to be 30 of the same tooth count...that change is easy.

For $125.00 each, I would have no problem providing an immediate turn-around...but who would be willing to pay that much just for the benefit of knowing it was being done now!

They're comming guys...I know, so is Christmas...laff It is a lot of work to make these. It's good that this product has been well recieved, it means I will not have to increase the price. If I'm wrong about pricing being an important consideration...let me know. In the future, for a 50% increase, I can make these a lot faster...I leave that decision up to my potential customers.

Jim

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
To the OP, I am in the same boat as you, but I chose to "bother" Jim. I e-mailed him last night and he had responded by the time I got home from work today. Judging by his post above, that was probably a feat in itself. I would guess there are 98 other people as anxious as we are, but if this product has the same quality as his clutch kit ( I am confident it does) it will be well worth the wait. I am currently running a clamshell adapter that I got off e-bay for ~$50. It was supposed to fit a coaster brake hub, but it wasn't even close to the right size for mine. I ended up "machining" it with a hand drill, a hole saw, and a file:( Anywho, what I am trying to say is, I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Sorry for the rambling ( 10 Miller Lites will do that to me;) )

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Great post Marvin!

I really do apologize to everyone that there has been a delay. When I'm at the shop, it's all about getting things done, (communication is lacking). When I get home, I'm tired, (Again communication is lacking).

I don't fail to answer phone calls or emails on purpose...I just have to keep moving and stay on-task so that everyone gets thier parts.

Jim

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Well, payday's Friday so you can expect an order! However don't start on it until you have my money. Just in case the water heater dies or some other disaster befalls me before then. I got a measurement of 1.530" off my hub. Does that sound right for a Shimano CB-110 coaster brake?

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
Great post Marvin!

I really do apologize to everyone that there has been a delay. When I'm at the shop, it's all about getting things done, (communication is lacking). When I get home, I'm tired, (Again communication is lacking).

I don't fail to answer phone calls or emails on purpose...I just have to keep moving and stay on-task so that everyone gets thier parts.

Jim
Hey, no problem Jim.
I have had quite a few transactions on e-bay, and your communication time is as good or better than any of them. My only request is that you hurry and develop more hi perf. parts for the China Girl! ( I can only dream about the VeeDub parts you make :) )

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Fin,

Yes it does! I measured 1.528"-1.529" And it just reminded me I was supposed to take pics of my vernier caliper and post a description of how to read the scale. Too much fun you know...I'll post the "how to read" for others, as a vernier caliper is very accurate and totally reliable.

I'll PM you...Don't place an order!

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hey, no problem Jim.
I have had quite a few transactions on e-bay, and your communication time is as good or better than any of them. My only request is that you hurry and develop more hi perf. parts for the China Girl! ( I can only dream about the VeeDub parts you make :) )
Marvin,

I'll send you a BRE race DVD...you'll love it! The crowd isn't expecting Nitro!

Jim

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Bought A Battery Powered Digital Caliper With Inch, Thousanths And Mm. It Is So Nice For Converting Etc. $15. From Mcmaster Carr. Much Easier To Read. Bought It A Few Months Ago When I Still Had A Bit Of Income. It Is So Handy For This Mab Stuff. Ron

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Wow Ron, That is really a good deal. I remember way back, when I bought my first set of Digital calipers. They were finally down to around $120.00 so I bought them. It also gave me a little more time before I had to get glasses since I was having a hard time reading my Vernier Calipers.

John

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
That is confidence inspiring. Thanks Jim! I can't wait for that motor mount to be released. Do we have an approximation of what they will cost us?
I've had a lot of emails and phone calls about the engine mount. It works really well!!! This is a work in progress though, and until a universal design is finalized I will have no additional info to offer regarding the engine mount.

I will be making several hundred engine mounts before I release any more information about this product. The Sprocket adapters & Sprockets taught me a lesson! I made 250 Clutch Actuator kits prior to advertising them. Pack & Go is a wonderfull thing to keep customers happy.

The engine sprockets are not even close to the correct geometry for use with a roller chain. I have sourced the correct tapered reamer for the sprocket bore, and I will be offering these in steel. No more binding...popping, and snapping!!!

I've got a really cool design for a dual pull/dual action brake lever...It will be standard issue for all MB's

The design ideas don't stop! I can go hard at it for 12 hours...then I'm done! I'll have inventory on all these items, one product at a time.

Jim

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Wow Ron, That is really a good deal. I remember way back, when I bought my first set of Digital calipers. They were finally down to around $120.00 so I bought them. It also gave me a little more time before I had to get glasses since I was having a hard time reading my Vernier Calipers.

John
Hi John,

I bought a mitutoyo digical from MSC in 89', it was right at $200.00. I still use it everyday!

About a year ago I bought a 4" dial caliper from Harbor Freight for $8.00. Believe it or not it has a really nice action, and repeats like a quality piece.

I also bought a 12" digital from harbor freight, but it eats batteries even when it's off!!! Have you guys noticed the same problem? I change the battery in my Mitutoyo every 2-3 years, and I almost never turn it off!

Jim