Concern about Legality in California

GoldenMotor.com

nara

Mar 1, 2015
nevada city
i also live in California, and i also want to put a motor to my bike. even thought i have been doing some research on how to have it street legal, i still have some questions :/

1) if the motor is not compliant E.P.A. or the C.A.R.B, is there anyway around that? and if not, is there any motor that i can buy that is compliant with the law?

2) also if i get the m1 or m2 licence, can i put a bigger motor onto the bike?

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
Welcome to the forum. ...
The answer is in the 2nd post. ...
Do you need a bigger than 4 hp motor?
I'm also trying to get a motor and have been wondering the same thing's! The cops in my area really mellow, I've seen more than one motor bike, even a guy riding without a helmet... Or shoes. And yet have i seen one with a license plate! Do you think getting a 2 stroke motor would be fine?

Last edited:

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Yes as long as you aren't the guy riding around barefoot without a helmet! Complete a DMV form, hang your plate on it and go have some fun. Just ride within the law eg; stop at stop signs, don't ride on the side walk, follow speed limit and keep it below 30mph and DON'T modify the exhaust in anyway that makes it louder. Ride respectfully and you'll be just fine.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I live in San Jose, Ca. where the cops are REAL YOU KNOW WHATS. I've been riding over 10 years and have NEVER been asked for a M-1 or M-2. I show em my regular drivers license for I.D. They check lights, brakes, ect, I stay polite then we go our seperate way's. MOST cops dont even know its supposed to have a plate. I've been on two wheels since I was 14 years old, Sooner if ya count mini bikes, And have never had a motorcycle license. The cops know just enough to be A-holes about it. Not enough to really enforce the laws properly.
fatdaddy.usflg

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
I live in San Jose, Ca. where the cops are REAL YOU KNOW WHATS. I've been riding over 10 years and have NEVER been asked for a M-1 or M-2. I show em my regular drivers license for I.D. They check lights, brakes, ect, I stay polite then we go our seperate way's. MOST cops dont even know its supposed to have a plate. I've been on two wheels since I was 14 years old, Sooner if ya count mini bikes, And have never had a motorcycle license. The cops know just enough to be A-holes about it. Not enough to really enforce the laws properly.
fatdaddy.usflg
I'm almost 15, been riding around on mini bikes and such since i was 10! Do you think I should wait till 16 to get one and start riding? Also, when i say hilly i mean HILLY, i live ontop of a huge hill, which is literally probably one of the only hills i will have to go up and down, do you think the 2 stroke can take it?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
The legal age to ride a motorized bike on the street in California is 16.

VC section 24016 (b) (4)
4) A motorized bicycle shall only be operated by a person 16 years of age or older.

BUT, Like I keep saying, The cops dont know enough about the laws to enforce them proprely, So if ya get stopped, Act stupid but very polite, show em yer I.D. And wish them a nice day. They probably dont know yer supposed to be 16.
fatdaddy.usflg

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
What I've found on line is simple there is a one time registration fee,it apples to bicycles $ 18.00.
It went up to $20 a while back. And if thats ALL you found on the subject of M.B's in the vehicle codes you should really shop around. Nobody I know, except me even has a plate on their bike. The cops DONT CARE or dont know, (WHATEVER,) In over ten years I've never seen a ticket for not having a plate. More importantly, The guy is only 14 years old and not of legal age to even ride a M.B. But I say, Good luck to ya little brother, And ride it like ya stole it!!!
But just ride safe.
fatdaddy.usflg
(whats apples to bicycle?)SPELL CHECK. No big deal, I'm not the best speller either. But STILL, Be Specific. THe law APPLIES to MOTORIZED bicycles, not just bicycles.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The legal age to ride a motorized bike on the street in California is 16.

VC section 24016 (b) (4)
4) A motorized bicycle shall only be operated by a person 16 years of age or older.

BUT, Like I keep saying, The cops dont know enough about the laws to enforce them proprely, So if ya get stopped, Act stupid but very polite, show em yer I.D. And wish them a nice day. They probably dont know yer supposed to be 16.
fatdaddy.usflg
That reference to 16 years old Only refers to ebikes which are also described a motorized bikes. section 406 (b)
No licence required, but a bicycle helmet and over 16.

406 (a) Our gas powered bikes require an M2 endorsement on your Drivers license.

This info has been posted and clarified here too many times.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
It went up to $20 a while back. And if thats ALL you found on the subject of M.B's in the vehicle codes you should really shop around.
(whats apples to bicycle?)SPELL CHECK. No big deal, I'm not the best speller either. But STILL, Be Specific. THe law APPLIES to MOTORIZED bicycles, not just bicycles.
You live in CA and still get the mb laws wrong?
You confuse ebike laws with gas powered mbs.

Yes, I get it that your local area cops don't know the CA mb laws,
lucky you and me too.
However if I drive to the beach they know the laws and give out tickets
or even impound bikes.
Just ask bairdco.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'm almost 15, been riding around on mini bikes and such since i was 10! Do you think I should wait till 16 to get one and start riding? Also, when i say hilly i mean HILLY, i live ontop of a huge hill, which is literally probably one of the only hills i will have to go up and down, do you think the 2 stroke can take it?
15?
Ask your parents? :)
They will be the ones taking responsibility if anything goes wrong.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
You live in CA and still get the mb laws wrong?
You confuse ebike laws with gas powered mbs.

Yes, I get it that your local area cops don't know the CA mb laws,
lucky you and me too.
However if I drive to the beach they know the laws and give out tickets
or even impound bikes.
Just ask bairdco.
Yeah, sometimes I get em turned around, but ya STILL gotta be 16 to get a drivers licence in California.16 is 16 under both laws. So at least 16 to get the endorsment for motorized ANYTHING. Ya might get by on a learners permit, and I believe thats at 15 1/2 years old, or it used to be anyway when I was a kid. No passengers, no night driving on a learners permit.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
15?
Ask your parents? :)
They will be the ones taking responsibility if anything goes wrong.
excellent advice MBR. And the dude is "ALMOST 15", so he's only 14 years old. My advice to him is to stick to mini bikes and off road stuff untill he can do it legally on the street.
And stay away from the beach with yer bike bro.LOL

Last edited:

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
Instead of making a new thread maybe I can just ask it here about my motorcycle permit and driving at night. The sun is starting to set a little earlier now and will be back to darkness by 4-5pm come October. Can I ride my bike once the sun sets? On the dmv provisional license it says you can't drive between 11pm-5am, not sure if that applies to motorcycles also since it says with someone accompanying you. I don't know what they consider night times are. Be nice to get food runs at night with my bike since there a lot of places to eat within 2-3 miles.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/dl_info#FIRSTYEAR

Patchy

Aug 12, 2014
California
If its not too late doubt any cop would pull you over. If it were 12 or 1 am then you are asking for it. Besides all you have to say is that you are heading home and they shouldn't give you trouble.

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
Well yeah if you're on your way home. I'd still like to know for convenience whats considered night times, and if that 11-5am rule applies to motorcycle permits too.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
California Code - Section 280 defines "Darkness" as any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise and any other time when visibility is not sufficient to render clearly discernible any person or vehicle on the highway at a distance of 1,000 feet.

Fortunately though the law is pretty clear. CVC 12509.5 (C), A person issued a motorcycle instruction permit shall not operate a Two-Wheel motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, motorized scooter, motorized bicycle, moped, or bicycle with an attached motor during the hours of darkness

A legal work around so you can revert back to the restrictions of your class C permit (no operating between 11pm to 5am) would be to add an axle/wheel to your bike effectively making it a three wheeler (think Sidecar). Heck it could be as simple as a couple pieces of pipe with a wheel attached.

Three-wheeled motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, motorized scooter, motorized bicycle, mopeds and/or sidecar require only a Class C license, per Section 12804.9 CVC Examination and Driving Test Classifications
(G) The operation of all vehicles covered under class C.
(3) Class C includes the following:
(D) A three–axle vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds gross or less.

Last edited: